• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Black Shoe Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Ruiz

Steve,

Whats the deal with you? How is your Navy going? What are you up to? When do you deploy? Hey, by the way, when do you make LT?

If i can remember, you are the gunners officer? right? What does that entail? Sorry to ask so many questions, but i am curious of the roles of a black shoe officer? I made two med-cruises myself. I was in a helicopter squadron stationed in Norfolk, VA. I cruised in the USS Saipan and the USNS Saturn in the persian gulf.

Hey, i just wanted to bother you for a few minutes. Let me know what you are up to.

Steven

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I believe Steve is about to get his pin, but I don't want to steal any of his thunder.... when are you putting it on Steve?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys.

Sorry I haven't been able to stay on top of the questions. Since Sep. 11, we've been under way quite a bit. I'm not going to go into any details about where we went or what we did. But just in case any of you had any questions about what your Navy was doing during Operation Noble Eagle and Operation
Enduring Freedom, trust me....we, and they, are out there doing.

Well, I managed to get my OOD (u/w) qual back in late October. Been standing OOD (u/w) ever since. Man, it is so much better standing OOD than JOOD or Conning Officer. When you're up there on the bridge, it is YOUR watch, YOUR ship. I know I've learned more since I've been qualified than the entire time I was standing OOD U/I watches.

At any rate, I am now awaiting my SWO board so I can get my pin. Typically, the wait time between OOD board and SWO board is 2-4 weeks. But since we've had so much going on, my board has been postponed three times. Right now, we're looking at doing it in the next couple of weeks. It's just a matter of doing it.

--Steve Wilkins

Dave Shutter

Speaking of which, I just had my second hand at Conning duty on a lovely YP ride today, I did a lot better than my last time. Obviously it's nothing compared to a CG, but considering my biggest juggling act a few weeks ago was "inspection arms", it's a step. Now having completed the Seamanship and Navigation classes I have a new appreciation of Ship Drivers to say the least, very cool, I liked it. I can imagine how exiting it must be to take a ship around the world and then shoot off some TLAM's!

OC Shutter, USNR
OCS Class 11-02

Steven Ruiz

Steve,

First, i would like to congratulate you on picking up OOD! Do you have to go to a board or do you just serve your time?
When is your board for SWO? Oh, also, let me ask you....what is the difference between JOOD and OOD?? Is it a big difference? What other duties will you perform when you are pick up you SWO pin? Sorry I have many question, just curious.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.