• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Black Hawks

beam101

how many crew spots for officers are there in a black hawk that are not pilots(if there are any). And one other question, I keep seeing on websited that you incur a 4 year committment(for most jobs) but then it says something about 8 years active/non actives duty. If anyone can answer one of these questiions or direct me to a link that would be great

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The Navy doesn't have any Blackhawks, only Seahawks and Knighthawks. Pilots are the only officers in Navy helos, and I assume the Army is the same. The aircrew in the back are enlisted and have gone to schools to learn whatever specific mission they have, like systems operator/rescue swimmer in the SH-60B.

As far as the committment goes, it depends on what you do in the military. Navy pilots have to serve for 8 years active duty after wings before being able to leave.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If you are talking about Navy Seahawks, then there are no crew positions for officers other than as pilots. I believe this is also true for the Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard H-60 helicopters.

Pilots incur an eight year commitment after they earn their wings (after approx. 2 to 3 years of flight school). Naval Flight Officers (NFO) are committed six years after wings.

Are you looking to become an NFO? Use the search function at the top of the page, do some reading, and if you come up with some more specific questions, I'm sure you'll get all the help and info you need!

Happy Posting,

Eddie

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
This might have changed but Army Helo pilots were usually warrant officers (I never understood the warrant officer designation but I do believe they only need an associates degree to become one.)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Buddy of mine flies 60s (As and Ls) for the Alabama Nat'l Guard... he says that most active duty officers will get about 700 hrs flying time in their career... 1000 is considered high time for them. Most of their energy is spent running their platoons/battalions/what have you.

S.O.B.

pilot
This might have changed but Army Helo pilots were usually warrant officers (I never understood the warrant officer designation but I do believe they only need an associates degree to become one.)

I don’t think you need a degree at all, I’ve heard it called “high school to flight school

pdx

HSM Pilot
I don’t think you need a degree at all, I’ve heard it called “high school to flight school

True, you don't need a degree, but there is no way to get picked up for a warrant officer program right out of high school. It's a funny saying, but I think it exaggerates a little. The CWOs probably say it as a joke (or maybe the officers say it).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Most Army helo pilots are Warrants. No college degree required... high school to flight school. Army PILOT Warrant Officers do nothing but fly. In 20 years of service they can fly for all 20 years. There is a reason why they're considered some of the best pilots in service...

S.O.B.

pilot
True, you don't need a degree, but there is no way to get picked up for a warrant officer program right out of high school. It's a funny saying, but I think it exaggerates a little. The CWOs probably say it as a joke (or maybe the officers say it).

If you don’t need a degree why can you not get selected out of high school?

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
If you don’t need a degree why can you not get selected out of high school?

I think what he meant was that someone straight out of high school is much less competitive to be selected than someone with some college or a degree.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Most Army helo pilots are Warrants. No college degree required... high school to flight school. Army PILOT Warrant Officers do nothing but fly. In 20 years of service they can fly for all 20 years. There is a reason why they're considered some of the best pilots in service...
If you don't want to go/need to go to college ... it's a GREAT program. It's also a GREAT place to be if you're not a social climber and don't need/want a "well-rounded" career. Stay in the cockpit --- do the deed --- become an outstanding "stick".

The Navy could do as well .... :)

pdx

HSM Pilot
I think what he meant was that someone straight out of high school is much less competitive to be selected than someone with some college or a degree.

I knew a Navy pilot that did the Army warrant transition. He took a pay cut to stay in the cockpit and STILL said the program was competitive. From what he said, all of the CWOs had some kind of prior experience. Most of them came from the enlisted ranks with excellent recommendations. They weren't just 18 year old kids that wanted to fly.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I knew a Navy pilot that did the Army warrant transition. He took a pay cut to stay in the cockpit and STILL said the program was competitive. From what he said, all of the CWOs had some kind of prior experience. Most of them came from the enlisted ranks with excellent recommendations. They weren't just 18 year old kids that wanted to fly.
It can be done, but it IS competetive.