• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Biggest shock of getting back into a light aircraft?

incubus852

pilot
So I'm taking the military competency exam tomorrow so I can score that nifty commercial rating. I'm planning on going down to the local flying club and getting some hours under my belt so I can do some joyriding around SoCal with friends (Vegas, LA).

Anyone care to share their thoughts on what the hardest part of going back into a cessa/piper/etc was? Any pitfalls to be wary of?

HuggyU2

None
Pitfalls? They will check you out before you know how to handle a number of malfunctions. Don't get complacent. Study a little.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What club you joining? I looked a little into that one at Montgomery field, looked like they had decent rates and good selection of a/c

I haven't done much light civilian flying since I started flight school, but I did fly a bit in my dad's bonanza last time I went home on leave. It took some getting used to in terms of performance, etc. The thing turned like a mack truck, and I had to lead rollouts a lot more than I was used to....that and you can't just crank it over to 70 AOB and maintain altitude and airspeed in any comfortable manner. I actually found approaches and pattern work to be less difficult than I had expected, though flaring again was weird (bounced down the runway a few times before I got it planted). In something smaller like a Cessna, I'm sure you could expect it to be a lot more squirrely. Also, most civilians fly a standard box pattern, so it helps to be predictable and not fly a carrier pattern and annoy everyone. I guess just not getting complacent thinking it is just a little airplane, and being especially watchful in and around airports for other traffic....stuff we do anyway, but at those little uncontrolled fields, things can get pretty sporty at times.....kind of like busy days at Meridian, but without the tower controller....though they were actually an SA suck some of the time anyway.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Hardest part was remembering to trim for an airspeed especially in the landing pattern. Also you don't have the power you are used to so don't make drastic corrections in the pattern or that can end badly. Rudders become important again as well.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It'll float. Forever. I took a Cessna out at the end of Primary and all of my passes were heinously high. Remember how pulling the PCL to idle in the T-34 made the airplane decelerate and settle quite rapidly? A 172 won't do that. Slip baby, slip.

Oh, and it'll handle like a dump truck slow and dirty. Keep her trimmed up in the pattern and expect to use a lot more control surface deflection than you're used to.

phrogpilot73

From the helo bubba's perspective? Don't pull the nose back on final to transition to a no-hover landing. This could end badly.

The CFI I was flying with was very accustomed to checking out helo guys in light singles was ready for it, so she just pushed the yolk forward.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The CFI I was flying with was very accustomed to checking out helo guys in light singles was ready for it, so she just pushed the yolk forward

She was checking you out and pushed your yolk forward... HAHA... Gotta love toilet humor!

ryan1234

Just go up.. do some slow flight, stalls, steeps, etc ...Cessna, Pitts, etc... they all fly like airplanes - some a little more so than others

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It'll float. Forever. I took a Cessna out at the end of Primary and all of my passes were heinously high. Remember how pulling the PCL to idle in the T-34 made the airplane decelerate and settle quite rapidly? A 172 won't do that. Slip baby, slip.

Oh, and it'll handle like a dump truck slow and dirty. Keep her trimmed up in the pattern and expect to use a lot more control surface deflection than you're used to.

"Heinous"....haha you ARE a Meridian guy :)

Flugelman

Contributor
Brings to mind the old retired AF Colonel I checked out in a 150 at the Key West flying club. He had been flying C-97's in Africa somewhere. Kept trying to flare while still 30 feet off the deck.

KBayDog

I flew out of Gillespie for a while (Golden State Flying Club). Dirt cheap aircraft with plenty of availability. I liked flying out of Gillespie because it was nowhere near as congested as Montgomery (which was good for the Hobbes meter). Also, transitioning through NKX's airspace was no problem, because I knew/requested their course rules, which made things very easy.

In any event, the biggest shock for me (rotortrash) was how I scanned for emergency fields. As Phrog said, you're not going to do a helicopter 0-0 in a Cessna, so adjusting my mindset for a fixed-wing landing environment vice a rotarywing environment was completely different. Other than that, flying is flying - the basics (power, trim, comms, etc.) don't change.

The benefit of flying Phrogs is that the final portion of our running landing profile isn't terribly different from a light civil landing profile (we can touch down at 60 kts), so the fixed-wing landings weren't too difficult to re-learn.

HuggyU2

None
PhrogPilot! Frank! "Yolk"??!! Are you guys "egg" heads???? :icon_tong

Well, don't shoot until you see the "whites" of their eyes in the coqpit!

I keed, I keed!!!