• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Big surprise, OBOGS back in the news.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The answer to "how low can you go" if IMC is not exactly in concurrence with NATOPS…………14k legally, 12k if you know where you are, and I will say that 7400' on GCA downwind is fucking scary at more than 10-12 miles……….that controller has your life in their hands at that point. Specific scenario aside, how did the E/F/G not get the F-15E system (different name than OBOGS, but mo betta according to our own OBOGS "experts")?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
For us types that breathe the free air around us (I've been up to 10k' a couple of times!), what's the reason for the increasing amount of failures (or at least reports of failures)? What is the system flaw in the various Hornet models that isn't present in other fighter / attack aircraft? Reading that article, the first thought I had was "damn, how the hell do you descend around Fallon quickly in IMC?" Good luck and fly safe guys - didn't realize this was such an issue.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I get it. Its hard. There are engineering challenges. Flying Navy or Marine fighters now is WAY safer now than it was back in the day. But, does anyone feel like big Navy has our back on this one? Mission first, people always?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
The answer to "how low can you go" if IMC is not exactly in concurrence with NATOPS…………14k legally, 12k if you know where you are, and I will say that 7400' on GCA downwind is fucking scary at more than 10-12 miles……….that controller has your life in their hands at that point. Specific scenario aside, how did the E/F/G not get the F-15E system (different name than OBOGS, but mo betta according to our own OBOGS "experts")?

After reading investigation of Lex's crash, I would be very reluctant to get vectored around by ATC for a GCA in Fallon. But maybe the fact that the ATC folks basically killed someone has improved the situation. That report is public and available on the FAA website for those who might be interested. It was a private contractor aircraft, so not a US Navy safety investigation.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm as concerned and vested in the OBOGS issues as anyone, but I'm not sure what this story offers other than another sensationalized take on what we already understand. If you have an opportunity to hear the O6 from NAVAIR give his brief on where the enterprise stands on OBOGS, do yourself a favor. He gives a good rundown of the various engineering lines of effort they have running and how the test community is involved in data collection and inflight air quality monitoring tools. We all want this thing resolved ASAP, but listening to the brief reassured me that a lot is in the works and it is a very high priority for NAVAIR.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We got the brief a few weeks ago. There was an O6 there, think he was a physiologist type, plus all the engineering team. It wasn't a bad presentation, and I would agree that it is clear they are looking to solve the problem. But I would also say that they don't have a solution at the moment, at least from what I could tell. It is what it is…….these old jets are getting older, and a system that was never that great is also getting older with it. I think the important part, short of an actual fix, is awareness of the issue.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It is what it is…….these old jets are getting older, and a system that was never that great is also getting older with it. I think the important part, short of an actual fix, is awareness of the issue.
Fair, but that doesn't explain newer E/F and all Gs.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm as concerned and vested in the OBOGS issues as anyone, but I'm not sure what this story offers other than another sensationalized take on what we already understand. If you have an opportunity to hear the O6 from NAVAIR give his brief on where the enterprise stands on OBOGS, do yourself a favor. He gives a good rundown of the various engineering lines of effort they have running and how the test community is involved in data collection and inflight air quality monitoring tools. We all want this thing resolved ASAP, but listening to the brief reassured me that a lot is in the works and it is a very high priority for NAVAIR.

Nope, sorry Brett. That doesn't work anymore. This is an OLD and well understood problem. To hear these individuals brief is to hear the problem described, again. The fact of the matter is that this issue hasn't killed "enough" people or taken enough jets off the ATO to garner this level of attention earlier. I'm sure there are good people doing good work on the issue. The problem rest with leadership who kicked the can on this for a long long time.

To paraphrase RADM Manzier - it's never happened to me....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, sorry Brett. That doesn't work anymore. This is an OLD and well understood problem. To hear these individuals brief is to hear the problem described, again. The fact of the matter is that this issue hasn't killed "enough" people or taken enough jets off the ATO to garner this level of attention earlier. I'm sure there are good people doing good work on the issue. The problem rest with leadership who kicked the can on this for a long long time.

To paraphrase RADM Manzier - it's never happened to me....
That's certainly one perspective in the community, and I respect the collective frustration - much of which I share. Whatever priority this issue has been given in the past, it's hard to argue that leadership is ignoring it today. I also get frustrated with the mindset that if leadership/NAVAIR/industry just cared more/spent more/grounded the entire fleet/went back to LOX that the problem would magically disappear. It's a complex problem with a host of risks that leadership has to juggle.

What would you do if you were currently in Manazir's shoes?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
What would you do if you were currently in Manazir's shoes?
I might consider choosing the words I use in testimony a little differently:

"I've been flying airplanes since 1982 on oxygen. I commanded an F-14 squadron that had OBOGS back in 1998. I have two cruises on that system and I have four cruises on the Super Hornet. I've never experienced a hypoxic event."

danpass

Rear Adm. Mike "Nasty" Manazir, a career Navy pilot. "You can’t figure it out, because the monitoring devices that do this are not on the airplane."

W

T

F

is that?

How does the system know what the hell it's doing?

_