• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BGO Officer avoiding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
The USNA sent me my packet in early September. I was too shy to contact my BGO then. In October, the BGO contacted myself and some others via e-mail in early October, asking us when we want to schedule an interview. I replied (twice), and he replied the following week, saying "sorry--are you able to get to XXX?"

I've replied several times since then, but he has not. Question 1: Should I send my USNA application now, or call and e-mail to set up a meeting with the BGO first? I am afraid that Admissions will think that I am not truly interested because I didn't talk to the BGO!!

Sometimes all I do is research the USNA for many hours every week, plus visit military forums, and spend many hours every week on fitness and my application.

Question 2: There is also this weird thing to how I am connected to his job. (I looked him up on Google.) His specialization is something that I could have used before being eligible for the USNA (figure it out.) Though I never had a use for that, could he possibly be biased against me based on people who he's dealt with who did have to use his services who have nothing to do with me? (I don't want to give away the specific individual.)

Thank you.

BYPASS

Normally, one already has their application in before being contacted by a B&G officer. I'm not sure exactly what your situation is, but you can always contact Admissions at USNA directly with any questions you have regarding the application process and your interview. Most of us have had our applications in for a while and are now just waiting to hear about nominations.

Integer

Banned
I have applied to all three sources but have sent in everything except two forms and an essay to the USNA. How often are applications processed?

Could it be true that senators make sure the candidate is accepted before offering the nomination, to make sure their nomination isn't wasted? I ask because one of the nomination sources asked me if I applied already to the USNA. In this case, that would kind of suck for me. :)

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Your BGO will contact you when your packet is over 50 percent complete. If you have all your stuff ready to send it, go ahead and send it in. It's not going to make you look bad and it is in your best interest to complete the application as soon as possible.

As far as nominations go, you will probably know about your nomination before you get an appointment. You can't even get accepted to the Academy unless you have a nomination first. The Academy will send you a letter in the mail confirming that they have received your nomination.

(I went through this entire process last year, got a nomination, and didn't get an appointment).

side note: I'm reapplying this year. I haven't even finished my USNA application (still have to do the PAE, Essay, and BGO interview) , but I just got a nomination from my Senator this week.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Try to contact the BGO again, if still no luck, there is probably another one in a city/town/high school nearby you might be able to contact instead. Maybe it's different for other people, but it seemed to not matter much which one I talked to as long as I talked to one. Good Luck!

KurnlReb

Stay on top of your BGO. Even if you're pushing harrassment, he'll start to realize how much this means to you. I entered the Academy in '94 (class of '98), so I realize how important it is to have your BGO's help. As far as the nominations...apply to ALL of your Congressmen. Generally, their offices will correspond with one another to keep from doubling up on a single nominee. They're only allotted a set number of nominees per year, so they try not to waste any on people that are already nominated by another office. But, you still have the chance of getting more than one nomination which looks good for your application. Personally, my application went before the board with nominations from a Senator, a Congressman, and the President. So, I know it's possible.

BYPASS

B&G Officers are assigned different areas and high schools. If you have applied to the Academy, then you should be receiving information on who your B&G officer is. A piece of advice - I didn't wait for my BGO to get in touch with me. I contacted Admissions early on to find out who I could talk to in my area.
VIV - Congrats on your senatorial nomination! It seems that mine won't even make their decisions till December, so I have to wait a little longer.

MOJO

I'm a current Midshipman at USNA, class of 2007. My advice to anyone who wants to come here is to know what you're getting into. There's a lot of good about this place, but it's delusional to say that Plebe year, which I'm currently going through, doesn't suck. And there are lots of things even after plebe year that make your life less than fun. Overall, I'm really glad to be here and actually manage to enjoy myself most of the time. It's just not the place for everyone, and you have to consider not just your desire to be a Naval Aviator (or whatever you want to do) but also whether or not you really belong in a *very* military environment.

Submit your packet as soon as you possibly can. This is because with the rolling admissions process, they can give you a Letter of Assurance on a complete application packet but incomplete nominations or medical. I submitted mine in July before my senior year in high school, and my BGO contacted me shortly afterward. I sat on top of 2 nominations and a LOA for about 2 or 3 months before my medical stuff finished processing. My appointment actually arrived in the mail before the final medical papers arrived. Applying early is good, because seats fill up and the longer you wait the more competitive it gets. I also know the Assistant Dean of Admissions personally through my activities on the Yard, and he has far too good a grasp on the way the system works to think that your packet arriving before your BGO interview shows a lack of interest. Quite the opposite, that's really the normal way things happen.

A few other questions/pointers: Did you attend Summer Seminar? if you did, and if you did well at Summer Seminar, it's a very good idea to mention it in your essay to the Academy. also, don't come across as only wanting to fly planes (which is valid motivation, and my primary reason for being here) but talk about a desire for leadership and to be a naval officer regardless of warfare community. you'll seem a lot more dedicated to the program. Last but not least, if your medical portion of the application is not complete, finish it right now. tonight, if possible. if you have to apply for a waiver, do it now. if you have to schecule a physical, do it now. I cannot stress how important this is, because I went in to my physical in 100% good health and they found a condition (acid reflux) in my medical history which I have since outgrown but still had to go through tests and waiver process for, delaying my appointment by 2 or 3 months after I got a LOA. You never know what might come out of left field as far as medical is concerned, it can take a very long time to correspond between various medical bureaus, and there's a definite deadline for when you can finish and still be accepted (I-day is June 30 this year, I think). So be sure to get your medical done without delay.

Integer

Banned
Hey! Completing my medical was the first thing I did; that is some good advice. As for your two points, improving as a leader and member of society through after-school and community involvements, and giving back to my school and jobs, are the exact two things I expect to continue to define myself in my future, and the USNA seems to be the natural progression onward.

My honest goal is to graduate as one of the top achievers in the Naval Academy, and then to succeed in any warfare community. I've been thinking and learning about trying for an NFO spot; but, in reality, my exact application in the Navy is the smallest of my concerns. All I know is that I am going to be the best damn leader and hardest-working teammate one would want on their side, so I want the Naval Academy to chew me up and spit me out, and guide me to becoming worthy of serving on a carrier or ship. My involvements in the civilian world might look great, but I don't care: I want the best for my people I will serve with because they deserve the best, which I hope to come within reach of after contributing to the Naval Academy. One of the people I am competing for a spot against is actually my role model, that's how much respect I have for the people that make up the service.

The way I see it, whether or not I am worthy of joining USNA class of 2008 or 2009 is in my own hands, and I am fully responsible for whether I receive just a thin white envelope or a big packet with information from admissions. Not only that, but this college has already successfully affected me to shift most of my focus onto myself, away from my previous obsession with serving my community. This was successful and I have visible improved a lot. Though now I contribute very little to my community--just tutoring older students, one of whom I learned yesterday is a Marine--there is no doubt in my mind that this was a successful move, as I have visibly improved physically and my grades are where they should be, making me competitive for the USNA (one can hope.) I plan to continue my track of scholarship at the Academy, with no more activities than I have time for; then, in service, to use my varied experience and diversity to increase morale and attitude towards improving oneself the way I have been able to improve myself.

I am grateful to the USNA for two things already, whether I can attend the school or not. For one, for helping me sort out my life, whether or not I am allowed to contribute back to it. The last important thing about the Naval Academy is motivating knowledge that there is at least one institution out there that cares about their students' morals, something I lost hope of while doing my time in a community college and seeing the lack of respect for honesty, ethics, and morals, and therefore the financial aid system, the educational system, the state and federal government, and the very reason how the brown piece of paper that set the tone for our country was created, and an image of the United States that exists that I would like to protect. Three words: honest hard work.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the many reasons I enlisted in the Navy (nuke power) was to have a better opportunity for being selected for an officer program. At the time, I was specifically looking to attend the Naval Academy. I applied for and was selected for the Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training (BOOST) program. After finishing the nuke pipeline I transfered to BOOST with the intention of still going to the Naval Academy. However, after about 2 1/2 years of "playing the game," I decided on a traditional university to attend after BOOST. All I can say is "Thank God."

I have met and worked with many, many officers who graduated from the Naval Academy. My personal opinion is that the Naval Academy is a great academic institution. If you graduate, you will walk away with a top notch degree. However, the program is so structured, that individuals are not allowed to develop into well rounded people. I have seen many Academy graduates get to their first command and even out to the fleet and just not have a clue about the real world. The unfortunate part of this is that their sailors see this.

My point to all this is that I want to make sure you or anyone else thinking of going to the Academy knows what you're getting yourself into and the consequences of going there over a traditional school. It's a great school, but there's a lot you will miss out on. I for one know that I will never be able to get my college years back and I am thankful I went to a school where I got a great education and had a hell of a time while I was there. Life in the Navy is hard no matter what community you decide to pursue. Why make your life harder before hand? Just a thought.

Integer

Banned
I feel I already was in the real world for the past six years, when my grades in high school and community college were not great by most standards (before that, I was a really good student.) I think it had to with me being active in about a dozen high school clubs because I wanted to, and my college activities were even more involved. Between that and many jobs, I think I have a lot of real world experience for someone who is barely eligible for the USNA. For the past year, I want to and have been getting back on track, and it was the USNA that made me do so, so I guess I must want it that badly if I changed my lifestyle a year ago to become competitive. Plus, I would have four years to become much stronger and play my high school sport (or more likely, learn a new one.) I would be able to retake my major in an excellent school and show that I did learn something when I took those same classes in my college. In the worst case, if I can't cut it my first semester at the USNA even after already being in college(!), then I will not waste my time or theirs, and leave that same semester. I get off doing what people believe can't be done. I did a couple of things that others said I couldn't do, and after doing all those, I have done many things that people said couldn't be done, period, "not at our college!" (by anyone.) Where do I go from there? Leadership training in the USNA and followthrough in the Navy sounds like the next step. I stopped worrying about my community and now am seizing the chance to be competitive for the USNA, at a time when I am the most ready to receive an education and get in the best shape of my life. I love teamwork, and I love leadership, but the thing I like most is that at the USNA, there will be the least cheating of any college. That is awesome! And I will bring my experiences and personality to my fellow midshipmen, and concentrate on my grades while making sure that my extra-curriculars don't eclipse my academic pursuits, unlike before.

I think in my case, and I can see how this applies to many others, but in my case, I think I have grown and matured during my years in college to be able to continue to handle the real world in the service. I understand what you are saying. And I thank you for taking the time to post, and if you think I am missing something, please reply, I appreciate your input. But I think that since I haven't spent my teen years inside my room doing homework for ten hours a day, I do have some real world experience. NOW I'm ready to spend ten hours a day doing homework. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.