• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I first saw Toko-Ri after I was already in the Navy... and what a great film!

I read Flight of the Intruder when I was a kid and thought it was great (I thought the movie was a good adaptation as far as these kinds of things go). Of course I saw Top Gun as a kid and I and loved all the flying scenes. But as far as movies and entertainment pitching naval aviation, my favorite is and always always has been a one-liner from a movie that wasn't even about naval aviation.

(dramatization and poetic license aside, listen closely between 0:50-0:55)

(Search engine says this is a recurring movie quote around here :D )

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I always thought The Right Stuff and Blackhawk Down were the two best movie adaptations I've seen (with The Princess Bride a very close third). I was actually thinking the other day that I need to watch TRS again some time soon.

phrogpilot73

Some will disagree, but I rather think it may have influenced more than a few of you in your formative years:
Funny you should mention that. I was 13 when it came out... And when the scene came up with the Coast Guard helo pulling Maverick/Goose out of the drink, my mom was proudly telling everyone that is what I wanted to do. And it was. Little did I know, I was going to go Marine Corps vice Coast Guard...

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I was referencing just the helo. At the time, I wanted to be a USCG helo pilot.

Sorry, I was doing a poor job of closing the USCG to USMC circle. While the film inspired you by showing a USCG aircraft, at the time it was doing a USN only function (deploy wet swimmer (and by all rights should have an H-3 from HC-1)) which subliminally pushed you into Naval Aviation. I got nothing for how you ended up on the green side. ;)

Napper

Diggin' the PNW
pilot
Why were no ribbons worn in Final Countdown? Was it common in that era or did the Navy not want to put them on actors?

gotta_fly

pilot
While not specifically about Naval Aviation, I think Apollo 13 and the From The Earth to The Moon series are fantastic. The fact that most of the badasses wore wings of gold is icing on the cake.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Renegade One

None
Why were no ribbons worn in Final Countdown? Was it common in that era or did the Navy not want to put them on actors?
You don't wear ribbons on wash khakis and dungarees.
What Hal sez…PLUS, there was a brief time in the mid '70s when the normal uniform then known as "Tropical Khaki Long" (e.g., our nappy-snappy gabardine or double-knit khaki, short-sleeved uniforms) were declared to be "working uniforms"…no longer good for liberty and no ribbons authorized. Must have been a Zumwalt-era thing, as best I can recollect…don't ask me why.

That had gone away by the late '70's and we were back to business as usual. I don't recall the "timeframe" when TFC was filmed…may have been some combination of both at the time. I have NO idea what uniforms might have been portrayed in the movie...