• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
So I'm curious as to why people love "The Final Countdown" so much. It was an interesting idea, but the plot kind of went nowhere. Is it just getting to see aircraft from a certain period of naval aviation in action, or what?

I really think it's because I was a lowly LTJG in VA-86, part of CVW-8, onboard CVN-68 when it was filmed, and the back of my helmet can be seen in 'Winder 405, the A-7 closest to the camera plane. :cool:

Final Countdown.png

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Pixar getting into the Naval Aviation movie business?

I'd be lying if I said it doesn't look cool. :cool:

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I really think it's because I was a lowly LTJG in VA-86, part of CVW-8, onboard CVN-68 when it was filmed, and the back of my helmet can be seen in 'Winder 405, the A-7 closest to the camera plane. :cool:

Cool!

I'm pretty sure if this came out when I was a kid I would have flipped out.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
T

If Top Gun got a whole generation of high school students hooked on Naval Aviation, is this Recruiting commands attempt to get them hooked at the elementary school/preschool level?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
T

If Top Gun got a whole generation of high school students hooked on Naval Aviation, is this Recruiting commands attempt to get them hooked at the elementary school/preschool level?

Why not - get'em before the education system turns them into...well you know...

Renegade One

None
T

I, too, see absolutely no harm in that...although I doubt RECCOM is smart enough, or forward thinking enough, to have participated in this at all. Consider it "Call of Duty 5" for the "Chuck E. Cheese's" set...fun for boys and girls of all ages!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember a time - indeed, more than once - when my eyeballs were about that big in the cockpit looking out.

navyao

Thank goodness I still have a 6 year-old who will want to see that, I'd feel like a tool if I went by myself!

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Thank goodness I still have a 6 year-old who will want to see that, I'd feel like a tool if I went by myself!

Crap, I don't even have a kid to take!

Anyway, I shared the trailer with some friends and family and after some research we found that it is going straight to DVD in the US, but to theaters in Europe. Seems kind of bass-ackwards to me.

High school? My dad had me watching Top Gun before I started preschool! Man, parents these days must be slipping. They didn't even need to fast forward through the sex stuff, I'd do it on my own because I just wanted to see the flying.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Friends...

I remember the drive-in movie on S. Navy Blvd. not too far from the Main Gate. In '57, w/ five NAVCAD classmates in my '53 Olds 88, watching the "new" movie The Bridges At Toko-Ri. Very inspiring for young aspiring wannabe Nasal Radiators! Who could know, I would later go on to almost live LT Brubaker's story, only with a different bird, better ending, in a later war. Still my favorite movie of all time. :thumbup_1

Of those five neophytes, i ended up in A-4s, the other four in F-8, F-3H, A-3 & S-2. We are all still connected by e-mail. Believe it; many of the friendships you make in OCS, USNA, Flight Trng etc. will last a lifetime! :icon_hear

Admiral Tarrant: "Where do we get such men?"
BzB
TOKO-RI ALERT
Above quote of 2 years ago still applies (especially for wannabies): This Korean War era movie was the "TOP GUN" type epic of my era, with the same TG type impact back in the '50s.:cool:
The Bridges At Toko-Ri, will air again tomorrow evening, 26 January @ 8PM PST, on the Military Channel's An Officer and a Movie. Check the air time in your time zone. I'll be watching for the umpteenth time... enjoy!:)
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TOKO-RI ALERT
Above quote of 2 years ago still applies (especially for wannabies): This Korean War era movie was the "TOP GUN" type epic of my era, with the same TG type impact back in the '50s.:cool:

The Bridges At Toko-Ri, will air again tomorrow evening, 26 January @ 8PM PST, on the Military Channel's An Officer and a Movie. Check the air time in your time zone. I'll be watching for the umpteenth time... enjoy!:)
BzB
Yes. And this book and movie was very much in our minds in Vietnam. We often repeated the quote: "Where do we find such men," mostly in jest and with some laughter. But it was true!

Somehow all of us diverse suspects ended up in the same squadron and airwing, protecting each other, expertly doing our job, and putting our asses on the line almost daily, despite all the anti-war controversy at home.

Together, we had to go against enemy fire much greater than Korea. We lost some good people, but we still did what our duty and oath and talent demanded. And we did it well!

Here is a real "Toko Ri Bridges" story, and no less impressive than the great "Bridges" book or movie.: Link

Renegade One

None
Some will disagree, but I rather think it may have influenced more than a few of you in your formative years:

TOP GUN (remastered digital version) to be re-released in theaters in IMAX 3D for six days only, I think this starts on February 8:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TOKO-RI ALERT
BzB
USS MIDWAY flight deck spotted for "Operation Pinwheel" back in the straight-deck Korean war era.
midway-pinwheel.jpg
Look for the pinwheel maneuver in Bridges tonight, as the ship (USS ORISKANY) prepares to dock at Yokosuka.:)
BzB

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Some will disagree, but I rather think it may have influenced more than a few of you in your formative years:

I'd already been accepted for AOCS when it came out. Flight of the Intruder (the book) came out about then too and it was a far greater influence I wasn't one of those guys who were fighting for a RIO slot. :D . Winging day came, #1 got Intruders east the whole rest of us got sent to Prowlers to fill a RAG class.