• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So fighter pilots are douchebags? Wow, get a few drinks in A4 and the truth comes out!
Douchebags ??? Well, you probably know more than I ... but I suspect, just like Marines ... some are, some aren't. No surprise there, yea-as ???

And since you're not a 'fighter pilot' ... i.e., you're not 'in it' -- you don't 'get' the culture. And no one expects you to ...

But I think you knew that, anyway ... :)

Hell yea "phrogdriver," The Great Santini's awesome! If you haven't seen it you gotta check it out. "We are Marine Corps fighter pilots. We have no other purpose."

The Military Channel's "An Officer and a Movie" is showing The Great Santini this Friday, April 1st. at 8:00 pm.

navyao

I took my two boys to the movies and my oldest noticed a poster for a movie coming out in January called "Red Tails." It isn't NAVAIR related, it's about the Tuskegee Airmen but regardless it looks cool! Here's the trailer.

navyao

Everyone should know by now that the "never lost a bomber" myth is urban legend for the Tuskegee Airmen. Nevertheless, a great story.

The "Great Santini" book is far better than the movie. Meecham's wife actually used the book as exhibit #1 in her divorce hearing. He is an example of what life used to be. I wonder how safety stand arounds and such would've rolled in his day.

Yea roger that re. the "never lost a bomber" myth. Regardless it's an airplane movie and it looks pretty good. Although it's just the trailer, it could suck. Wasn't there already a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen?

Re. the "Great Santini," book I'll have to pick it up, I haven't read it.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Dive Bomber with Errol Flynn. Some great color footage throughout the movie of NAS North Island except replaced the SH-60s and S-3s with N3N bi-planes and Devastator dive bombers. Blimp hangard are still in prominant view though.

MR-

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^--- There are a few hip-hop artist in the movie as well like Ne-yo and Method Man. I guess when their claims to fame are movies like Soul Plane, it doesn't fill the moneymen with confidence.

That being said, you would think Cuba Gooding Jr and Terrance Howard are more than capable to carry a movie.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^--- There are a few hip-hop artist in the movie as well like Ne-yo and Method Man. I guess when their claims to fame are movies like Soul Plane, it doesn't fill the moneymen with confidence.

That being said, you would think Cuba Gooding Jr and Terrance Howard are more than capable to carry a movie.
As Lucas explained it, with essentially no white actors in the picture, there's a lot less mass appeal, particularly in the foreign market which accounts for about 60% of the average film's gross.

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As Lucas explained it, with essentially no white actors in the picture, there's a lot less mass appeal, particularly in the foreign market which accounts for about 60% of the average film's gross.
Brett
So foreign movie goers are bigots? Can we ship Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson over to Germany, Italy and the UK to take care of that? :)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
So foreign movie goers are bigots? Can we ship Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson over to Germany, Italy and the UK to take care of that? :)

The movie goers aren't bigots, the distribution and production companies are... They see the world in two colors, Red and Black (as in profits and loss statements)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely racist. If you've spent any time in Europe as I have, you know that the racism there is much more rampant than it is in the US. Take a look at some of the soccer games during the world cup when the French or Italian crowd throws bananas on to the field when the other team's black members take the field. People's heads would explode if that happened here. The Europeans are unrestrained by white guilt from our slavery era. In France, the blacks and Arabs are mostly labor-class immigrants who are openly looked down upon and warehoused in housing projects.

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely racist. If you've spent any time in Europe as I have, you know that the racism there is much more rampant than it is in the US. Take a look at some of the soccer games during the world cup when the French or Italian crowd throws bananas on to the field when the other team's black members take the field. People's heads would explode if that happened here. The Europeans are unrestrained by white guilt from our slavery era. In France, the blacks and Arabs are mostly labor-class immigrants who are openly looked down upon and warehoused in housing projects.

Brett
Touché. The double standard that so many pompous hypocritical euro scum perpetuate is amazing. Their press, on this issue, is without shame. There is never a lost opportunity to highlight the last vestiges of racism in a very small minority of the US, but they never look critically at their own. The antisemitism is the worst. Have to admit, never heard of the banana toss.