• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

navyao

The Great Santini. One of the better guys' movies that has some emotional crap thrown in for the ladies.

Hell yea "phrogdriver," The Great Santini's awesome! If you haven't seen it you gotta check it out. "We are Marine Corps fighter pilots. We have no other purpose."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Hell yea "phrogdriver," The Great Santini's awesome! If you haven't seen it you gotta check it out. "We are Marine Corps fighter pilots. We have no other purpose."

Looking at it now though, if a new squadron CO came aboard with that speech, I'd think he was a self-important douchebag.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Wings of Eagles. One of my favorite John Wayne movies ever.
Remember one of the opening scenes when JW's semi-out of control aircraft antics cause a couple of guys to bail off the train and into the water while coming across what is Bayou Grande ... ???

That train track used to run parallel to the bridge over to main gate @ Mainside. A great little Italian restaurant used to occupy the east side of S. Navy Blvd. immediately off the bridge and my duplex was on the west side of S. Navy Blvd -- across the street.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
A great little Italian restaurant used to occupy the east side of S. Navy Blvd. immediately off the bridge and my duplex was on the west side of S. Navy Blvd -- across the street.

It was still there in 86/87. As you say, nice little place.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Friends...

That train track used to run parallel to the bridge over to main gate @ Mainside. A great little Italian restaurant used to occupy the east side of S. Navy Blvd. immediately off the bridge and my duplex was on the west side of S. Navy Blvd -- across the street.

I remember the drive-in movie on S. Navy Blvd. not too far from the Main Gate. In '57, w/ five NAVCAD classmates in my '53 Olds 88, watching the "new" movie The Bridges At Toko-Ri. Very inspiring for young aspiring wannabe Nasal Radiators! Who could know, I would later go on to almost live LT Brubaker's story, only with a different bird, better ending, in a later war. Still my favorite movie of all time. :thumbup_1

Of those five neophytes, i ended up in A-4s, the other four in F-8, F-3H, A-3 & S-2. We are all still connected by e-mail. Believe it; many of the friendships you make in OCS, USNA, Flight Trng etc. will last a lifetime! :icon_hear

Admiral Tarrant: "Where do we get such men?"
BzB

KBayDog

Looking at it now though, if a new squadron CO came aboard with that speech, I'd think he was a self-important douchebag.

I'd like to read Bull Meecham's policy letters on EO, Hazing, Sexual Harassment, etc. I'd also like to examine his NATOPS jacket, APR, and MSHARP to ensure compliance with GWOE and ORM training. Was his "Mentoring" program in compliance with MCO P1234.56?

(BTW, Bull Meecham wasn't killed in flight. He was actually relieved of command for "a loss of confidence in his ability to command" after one of his Lance Corporals got a DUI after spending President's Day weekend in Savannah. Apparently LCpl Benotz didn't complete his HARP form (to include vehicle inspection) prior to departure, and hadn't completed his IA and Combating Trafficking in Humans CBTs before the Safety Stand Down.)

jmcquate

Contributor
I'd like to read Bull Meecham's policy letters on EO, Hazing, Sexual Harassment, etc. I'd also like to examine his NATOPS jacket, APR, and MSHARP to ensure compliance with GWOE and ORM training. Was his "Mentoring" program in compliance with MCO P1234.56?

(BTW, Bull Meecham wasn't killed in flight. He was actually relieved of command for "a loss of confidence in his ability to command" after one of his Lance Corporals got a DUI after spending President's Day weekend in Savannah. Apparently LCpl Benotz didn't complete his HARP form (to include vehicle inspection) prior to departure, and hadn't completed his IA and Combating Trafficking in Humans CBTs before the Safety Stand Down.)

You mean Col. Donald Conroy.