• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Gun Story this Year

GroundPounder

Well, since they are in the French Foreign Legion, I would think that whatever they may be, they are not Frenchies. Maybe in a few years from now, but not yet.

As to the accident it seems strange to me as it has always been very obvious to me to feel the difference in weight of a weapon loaded with blanks vice live rounds. On the other hand in my limited experience ( 20 + years ago at that ) the French were very high speed when it came to training. The big difference was that they stressed safety to a much lower degree than we did.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I often worry about how easily anyone can obtain a gun.

Having just jumped through far too many hoops to buy new Sig P220, I can say: it's not so easy. Even if you're active duty, with PCS orders, and have a CHL.

Or maybe Texas just sux. It was actually easier to get a gun in bleeding-heart liberal Connecticut.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, since they are in the French Foreign Legion, I would think that whatever they may be, they are not Frenchies. Maybe in a few years ....
You must be a prophet. All the bookmarked links (several) I had to the Légion étrangère are now broken and/or dead. Most available in French w/ an English option, only .... :)

Légion étrangère

Funny ... the "English" selection has the Stars & Stripes and Union Jack 50/50 on the "options" ... :D

LivinMyDream

pilot
Having just jumped through far too many hoops to buy new Sig P220, I can say: it's not so easy. Even if you're active duty, with PCS orders, and have a CHL.

Or maybe Texas just sux. It was actually easier to get a gun in bleeding-heart liberal Connecticut.

I walked into a store in Corpus and walked out with my Sig in 15 minutes. How is that hard? Fill out your paperwork, get the backround check, and you're done. Not so tough of an experience for me... If you don't mind me asking, what hoops did you have to go through? How was your process different than mine?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

Two weeks ago, walked in with PCS orders (ok, i had to go back to my house to get them), filled out 4473, walked out with my gun. They didn't care about my Florida CHL.

Even in gun-friendly Florida, I had to wait 3 days (that was before I got my CHL).

MasterBates

It has been hit or miss for me.

I had one shop that was doing a transfer that wanted 3 months worth of utility bills, a lease and my orders + Mil ID.

And I HAVE a Texas ID (not a DL) with my address on it!

PropAddict

pilot
Contributor
I walked into a store in Corpus and walked out with my Sig in 15 minutes. How is that hard? Fill out your paperwork, get the backround check, and you're done. Not so tough of an experience for me... If you don't mind me asking, what hoops did you have to go through? How was your process different than mine?

A. Walk into store. Decide to buy gun. Ask what they need with my out of state licenses and military status.
B. Bring back orders.
C. Fill out paperwork.
D. "Sorry, these orders don't work because they don't say "PCS" anywhere. We know it says 'change of station from NAS XXX to NAS Corpus Christi', but unless it says 'Pcs', we can't do it. ATF will kick it back."
E. Go get Texas ID. Across town.
F. Return with temporary Texas ID b/c Tejas does not print out the regular ID's right at the DMV.
G. "Sorry, we need the real one. This is only a temp."
H. Wait 2 weeks for ID to come in mail, then go back.
I. "Since your ID and driver's licenses addresses don't match, we're gonna need a copy of your orders, too." Luckily, I had them in the car (along with a SS card, passport, certified birth certificate, and my library card. . .just in case.)
J. Instantaneous background check and FINALLY a law abiding citizen can buy a gun.

. . .as an aside, this is the first Sig I've owned. And it was totally worth it.

PropAddict

pilot
Contributor
Who in the hell tries to kill a mouse with a 44 magnum indoors anyways?

Well, when you are doing your best Dirty Harry impersonation, you need the .44. The .22 just won't do.

"Ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Do ya? Mouse?"