• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best and worst experiences with flight instructors

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
back in '68... flying a nav hop as a vt-10 student in a uc45j bugsmasher. i'm sitting in the right seat, sweating the next heading for the salty cigar smoking old marine major. he's in a bad mood .
"i need a heading lieutenent. or would you like to go to fucking cuba?"
i give him a heading over the mic.
"you're talking into the grimes light, asshole!"
and then my chart blows out the window.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
10 pages later, and... we do things differently in different communities. I sense this thread closing soon. If anyone wants to repeat what someone else said earlier with different wording better do it quick.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude even we dont call them "Choppers." The callsign is "Army Copter" and nobody uses it outside of the aircraft.

That reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

What does the Air Force call a helicopter?

A whirly bird.

What does the Army call a helicopter?

A chopper copter.

What does the Navy call a helicopter?

A helo.

What does a Marine call a helicopter?

Nothing. He just points at it and goes "Ungh! Ungh ungh!"

KBayDog

10 pages later, and... we do things differently in different communities. I sense this thread closing soon. If anyone wants to repeat what someone else said earlier with different wording better do it quick.

Yeah, I think someone needs say something that someone else already said, but do so in a timely manner.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I doubt this is available, but does anyone know the figures on mishaps related to missed checklist items for communities that do the checklists by memory vs the mishaps related to missed checklist items for communities that don't do the checklists by memory?

AirPirate

pilot
american-chopper1.jpg

chopper?

Choppers. They're notoriously hard to start and even worse to pre-flight. They're slow, expensive as hell, and make more noise than horsepower. They require constant attention and vibrate more than a jackhammer, but they can squeeze into the tightest spots and pick up chicks with ease.

Back on track, I just think good leaders make good instructors, but I don't think that's some sort of revelation. My worst student experience was with an IP screaming at me and jerking the controls out of my hands in the bombing pattern at Shade Tree (I still picked up a pair of "E's") when nothing was really happening. My next worse was a cross-country to Jax where the IP said zippo the entire flight, even if spoken to directly or questioned. Everyone knew him to be a strange cat, but to be incapable of acknowledging another human being was very odd. A good experience was with a former Blue who trusted me to do everything I was taught. When I flew through the final approach course by mistake and fixed it, he knew how to consider it in context and judge my trends in order to frame how he would word his critique on such a simple debrief point rather than just give me blind critique in the same old monotonous slam package. It doesn't sound like such a big deal, but those things help build mutual respect and I would work harder to do better -- and not disappoint him later. He was leading me to success.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I call it a chopper. Because that's what it is.
See, you're ruining it man! ... we know most of you helo dudes can't stand it being called a"chopper" so that's why we call it that! You aren't suppose to embrace it... it ruins the fun for us "FAGs" who are trying to get under your skin...

as for the checklist thing... different strokes for different folks. Chopper world vs. Jet world. We could easily dig into SIR's and find fault along all communities. Whatever.

On topic... fun part of being an IP was "knowing" some of you on AW who flew with me, but you didn't know it was me...

S/F