• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beretta vs Sig

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
I've got a Beretta 92FS, and was thinking about trading/selling for something else. Right now I've got my eye on a Sig P226, but have never shot a Sig. Thoughts and opinions on the Sig vs the Beretta? Thanks!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I don't own either, but I've put alot of round through both.

Personally, I like Sig better. The weight, balance and size of the weapon just feels better in my hand. I've found that I can keep a better and more consistant sight pic with the sig.

Personally, I'd trade the Baretta for a Sig any day. I've already decided my fist gun is going to be a Sig...

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I've got both the 226 and the 92, and I much prefer the SIG. In my opinion, its an all around better weapon. See if you can get your hands on one and give it a try so you can decide for yourself. Always a good idea, is you have the means.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Coming from a non-gun nut (but one that shoots occassionally)...

When I first shot the Sig, I didn't like the trigger pull for my hands. It was too long. Then I got the feel for it, and it's very nice. I've put several hundred rounds through one during deployment quals or when we needed to blast through our fiscal year ammo. Nice gun.

I had the chance to shoot a Barretta once or twice, and after having shot the Sig, I did not like it. Seemed more sloppy and like Bubba is saying, harder to maintain a sight pic, for me anyway.

VAmookie

For one reason or another the USMC wants to use the Beretta for their service sidearm. I however, do not. I much prefer the Sig; i agree that it has a much nicer feel, and overall better sight picture. I think if you have smaller hands, the Beretta may be for you. That was my dad's one complaint about the Sig, and I think that may be why we use it against our will... user friendly?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Beretta 92FS and the SIG P226 are about the same size. The grip is no different... very wide. Some feel it differently, but I think that has to do with the design of it. The SIG is a finer weapon in my opinion. It beats the Beretta hands down. I do not like the 92FS. That being said, the 92FS didn't make it all the way to the finals for the XM9 competition for nothing, it is a tough firearm. The only reason it won over the P226 is price, Beretta low-balled it and won. The SIG is stronger, as evidenced by the failures the SEALs experienced in using +P+ ammunition... a problem that has been remedied.

My first pistol was a toss-up between a Beretta 92FS and a SIG P226. The SIG won by a long shot.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
SIG, all the way. Like Fly, my first pistol purchase came down to a P226 and a 92FS, and I went with the SIG. No regrets! I can't stand Beretta pistols as a general rule. Sloppy, strange-feeling recoil (at least to me), and aesthetically displeasing.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm also looking at buying a P226 and am grateful for all the insight everyone has provided in this thread. Pretty much seals the deal for me. I shot one many years ago in college and really liked it, unfortunately haven't since. I'm looking to upgrade from my S&W 45 that I have now.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Thanks for the info guys, I'll start looking around for a P226.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'll take a Northern European anything over an Italian anything - any day. Aircraft, guns, women, etc. :)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
CDNN has excellent reconditioned 226's now for $369. A friend has one he got from them and I would swear it was brand new.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
And at that price you could keep your beretta. I for one love my 92fs. I have probably put between 15,000 and 20,000 rounds through mine and I have NEVER had any problems. I love the sig, but the beretta is not as much of a POS as some here believe.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't forget it's also what works the best for the individual. Remember the great kneeboard debate of '05? I'm the first to admit my Navy issue kneeboard is a POS, but it works for me, so I'm happy.

theduke

P226, no question. Not even a contest.

I owned a P226, and have fired the 92FS enough in the USMC to make a fair comparison.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ok... you know you've been on AW too long when you look at this thread and instead of reading "Berretta vs. Sig"

You see:

"Brett vs. Schnugg"

Jesus...