• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being involved with sports important for OCS application? And other questions.

Piacevole

I am a [female] junior in college and I am thinking about applying for OCS. Does it make you less competitve if you did not play any sports in high school or college? I am involved in many organizations on campus, but none of them are athletic. My logic is, athletics take up soooo much time that if I played a sport, I wouldn't have time to be in all those other organizations, thereby making me less well-rounded. I do work out regularly though so it's not like I'm out of shape.

Also, how do they take into consideration your previous leadership positions? I have held several minor positions (secretary of the business fraternity, team leader in my management class, committee co-chair for my sorority's philanthropy event), but I've never been a president. Do they only consider applicants that have held very high positions of leadership?

Lastly, I haven't seen much said about officer opportunities for business majors. I will be graduating with a BS in Management and my concentration is in Marketing. Do they look for those majors?

Thank you to anyone who can help; this forum is such a great source of information.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
There's no definite answer to about your sports question. Your entire application is considered. From what I have read on Air Warriors high school is a mere after thought and college is what matters. I had a bunch of leadership positions listed, but none were president. They appear to take everything. As for your business major a buddy of mine from OCS had a BBA and got in. He's now in Pensacola waiting to start flight training as a pilot. A business degree might not be as helpful if you were applying to be an information warfare officer, but it doesn't disqualify you.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
No sports, no school leadership experience, had work management experience though. Make sure if you are not living an active lifestyle, get in shape for the PRT. Good Luck!

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Everyone is different, but there's one way to find out.
I didn't play any sports in college except intramural (beer league). As long as you aren't sedentary and can cite other leadership experience you should be good.

BackOrdered

Contributor
For what it is worth, I got picked up for BDCP without sports either. Just work experience and club offices.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think most any productive, legal extracurricular activity would work in your favor, particularly if you were in a leadership role. I would imagine that the selection board wants to screen applicants beyond just a bunch of numbers.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
They look at the total package. Now, you most likely have to meet all minimum requirements (I suppose certain waivers can help if not) but for all the additional stuff, get as much as you can. Not having highschool or college sports wont kill you. I had none officially, but had other leadership roles that made me look good.

MasterBates

I had no athletics beyond intramurals in College.. That and racing Motocross for 8 years.

I was VP of my Fraternity, and on the Greek Council.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Even if you put high school football on your application, they don't know if you played JV for 4 years or were an all-american quarterback and I don't think they check that out either. But yes, if you planning on getting in, be in shape!

How easy is OCS to get into? I didn't really think about that... I had a 3.1 in college but aside from starting a club and joining the Tennis team I wasn't very active. I got a decent job when I graduated though... what is OCS looking for?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
How easy is OCS to get into?

Super easy, just march into your local NRD recruiter office and tell them that you demand to become an Officer because you have the chops to become a Navy Pilot or SEAL, in fact you plan on becoming the next 5 star CNO. Then drop and give him 20, yelling 'ooh-rah', and clap your hands like Kutcher did in the guardian. They love that kind of bravado...

Seriously though, it really is a whole person concept and is a case by case basis. I got picked up for a community that I didn't think I would get. Just talk to a recruiter, apply, and don't do what I told you to do in the first paragraph (though it would be funny). Good Luck!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I never played sports in my life beyond recess as a child (not even intramural or kid leagues) and I am now in Primary. I never even watched or followed sports (starting to a bit now) and got picked up. I'm surprised I could spell sports. Somehow, I don't think it's a requirement. I had a great GPA, VERY good ASTB, 6 LORs and leadership positions/experience on campus, so the no sports wasn't a big deal. If you suck in school, bad ASTB or sparse LORs, then being an athlete is an asset, to be sure. But it isn't going to get you a slot in and of itself.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
unless your Teddy Williams

ted_williams_pilot.jpg