• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being fat = safer in ejection seat?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
If you are too heavy, you may not get '0 - 0' clearance.

If you are too thin, the ejection forces may beat the hell out of you.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
that second video..wow. scare your poor child to tears for your own amusement..good to go.

BtW. You get some crazy kick out of the anguish of overweight kids, Snell?? ;)

cisforsmasher

pilot
that has to be from northeast florida... or maybe southern texas. Or just maybe anywhere there is some Naval Aviation training going on. People are just that retarded around here. I like how the woman in the first video just kept laughing, but she had earplugs in so she probably didnt hear the screams of terror.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dude... didn't you see how effective that double (triple?) chin was at keeping him strapped in?

He would be a big smashed blue berry if it wasn't for that chin

Now you're just being dumb... sarcasm or not.

To answer your original question and to expound upon what feddoc said:

For the T-2 (and Prowler, I think), optimal aircrew weight is between 140 and 204 lbs. Lighter than 140, the eggheads have determined the the forces exerted on your body can be extremely harmful.. too light and you can't absorb/sustain the Gs.

Above 204, the seat isn't guaranteed to be 0-0.. meaning you may or may not be able to eject safely on the ground should the need arise... not enough height to allow for complete chute deployment and/or not enough falling time to slow you down enough.

And as a second note, you're strapped into the seat alot more securely that that kid was into his. You wear harness that is fit to your body, and the harness straps into the seat at 4 points (at least it does in the T-2 and T-6).

And oh by the way, being a fatass makes it alot harder to get into the plane and strap in.

So based on that, explain to me how being fatter makes an ejection seat safer?

MasterBates

The seat has a rocket. It generates a force, F.

Force = Mass * Acceleration

If you are at the max weight for it to be 0-0, the acceleration will be lesser for my 235# behind than some chick that is 120# soaking wet.

Acceleration = Force on your body, which beyond a threshold starts breaking/bending in ways it should not.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Acceleration = Force on your body, which beyond a threshold starts breaking/bending in ways it should not.

And beyond another threshold, the seat fails to get your butt out of the way of things like the empennage. Or the ground, before your parachute is deployed. Each extreme has its risks.