• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a Naval Aviator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvin

Hello, I am a freshman in college right now, studying economics. I earned my private pilot's license when I was 17, and would like to enter the United States Navy after college. So far, I have my multi-engine rating, tailwheel endorsement, seaplane rating, and I am working on my IFR rating (I'm about 50% finished). My friend's brother owns a Pitt Special, and I am thinking about getting instruction in aerobatics. From my position, I am sure I'm ahead of most people who go into flight school via OCS. So I have a few questions: is there any other kind of flying I should work on to get an edge in flight training? Second, if I enter OCS with such a resume of flying experience and qualification, will I have a better chance of being selected for the aviation pipeline? Lastly, do they allow SNAs to bypass primary flight training if they already have the private pilot's license?

Even if these things on't get me that far ahead, it doesn't effect my dream of becoming a navala aviator, Im just cruious of my options.

Thanks!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm closing the thread just to prevent the ensuing dog pile.

Calvin, there's many, many (MANY) threads and posts asking this. I'd recommend you poke around the site and do some reading, then come back with specific questions. The short answer: at the end of the day, you need to learn the Navy way. Some of your civilian stuff will help. Potentially, some of it can hurt you if you don't go in with an open mind. For the most part, everyone goes through the same training.

Have a search for the NSS thread. There's some good info for you to start with.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My friend's brother owns a Pitt Special, and I am thinking about getting instruction in aerobatics. From my position, I am sure I'm ahead of most people who go into flight school via OCS. So I have a few questions: is there any other kind of flying I should work on to get an edge in flight training?
Your private flight training and ratings accomplishments are commendable, but will not give you the significant 'edge' you seek. What will give you that edge is excelling in your college studies (>3.5 GPA), high scores on the ASTB/OAR tests taken for your application, keeping free of legal & financial problems, and seeking leadership experience in school & community activities. Volunteer hours leave a much more favorable impression on selection boards, than flight hours.
Second, if I enter OCS with such a resume of flying experience and qualification, will I have a better chance of being selected for the aviation pipeline?
Actually, if you are Professionally Recommended (ProRec) for SNA by the board, that and Final Select (FinSel), will come well before OCS.:)
Lastly, do they allow SNAs to bypass primary flight training if they already have the private pilot's license?
There is a short program (IFS) of flight familiarization (first flight to solo), conducted by a local flying school under Navy contract. Those such as you holding PPL are exempted. This is not Primary! All SNAs must complete the Navy flight syllabus from Primary through Advanced to earn their Gold Wings.;)
*I cannot overemphasize the importance of final GPA!:eek:
Even if these things on't get me that far ahead, it doesn't effect my dream of becoming a navala aviator, Im just cruious of my options.
Great 'tude!:D
BzB

Status
Not open for further replies.