• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tali264

I was wondering what the maximum amount of time one can spend in BDCP is. Is is 2.5 years or 3 years? Thanks

Beth

solenita72

SWO Wife
My husband spent 2.5 semesters, graduated in Dec. but did not go to OCS until Sept. I believe the absolute limit with the degree completion plan is three years though!

navy101

I think it is three years, but you are suppoose to be in a technical major unless the Navy changes your ocs date that extends your time in bdcp.

jrklr

geerst:
great to have you here. I was wondering if you have ever encountered anyone that was terminated from BDCP due to their performance in school. I have heard that you do not always necessarily have to enlist for 2 years, but rather get dropped from the program and must report to OCS upon graduation. It's not that I'm at all planning on flunking out if I were to ever get BDCP someday, but I'm curious in knowing all the details about the program. Thanks.

SG

When you're put into BDCP, you are enlisting for 4 years. The BDCP contract reads that if you fail to make progress, don't maintain at least a 2.7 GPA, if you drop from OCS, or do not accept a commission, you have to complete the remainder of 4 years on active duty serving the fleet as an enlisted member. Does that actually happen? I don't know but that's what you're signing up for.

geerst

Jrklr & SG,

You are both correct, to a degree. If one drops from BDCP due to poor grades, failing to report to his/her recruiter, fails the semi-annual PRT, or a UCMJ infraction, several things can happen. BDCP is an excellent financial assistance program, but unfortunatlely lacks disciplinary teeth. So, what can happen depends on what our main office, CNRC, wants to do with input from the BDCPer's OPO (like me). Some folks are released completely and some are sent to enlisted boot camp. I have not encountered a BDCPer who retained his OCS date but without pay. I would state that that is highly likely as an outcome. I sent a BDCPer to boot camp because he would not submit his transcripts to us after repeated requests over 4-5 months. Once we got the transcripts, his GPA was down to 2.3. He was previously in an enlisted college assistance program called CASH, then switched to BDCP to continue his schooling. Taking the fact that he worked the system in CASH, then BDCP, only to not follow the easy directions of submitting transcripts and even then eventually doing so with a lackadaisical attitude, I made the call that he was not, nor will ever be, officer material. So, I told CNRC he should go to boot camp. Lesson learned here: if you always put forth your best effort in every endeavor, the Navy will take care of you. I have seen that happen consistently over 20 years. When you say, "Screw this," "Screw the Navy," or whatever, I know that someone in that conversation will get screwed!

OPO

NuSnake

geerst,
How do you usually do your annual PRT with BDCPer's? My recruiter said another LT was going to be calling me and schedualing my next PRT, and that was at the beginning of January. I've talked to my LT a couple time since, but not for very long. I'm going to call up Monday and ask if they are going to come down or if I will have to come up. I guess thats the best way to take care of it. Thank you sir.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

geerst

BDCPUAH,

PRTs can be scheduled such that all the collegiates gather at the district office for an en mass run, or singly with the recruiter going to your campus. For folks in BDCP attending a school far removed from the officer recruiter, we sometimes coordinate a PRT with the local enlisted recruiters. The only thing that matters is getting it done.

OPO

NuSnake

thanks

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

tali264

With my original recruiter, he just had the newest OCS grad go around to all the campuses and give the PRT. That was GREAT!!! It was fast and of course you got all the newest OCS info. Request this!

My new guy makes everyone from the district gather in one spot to do it, meaning in my case I had to drive a little over a hour to get there. BLAH. I asked about the old way and I got "doing the PRT is part of your contract". That conversation ended quickly. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.