• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP vs NROTC opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I was wondering what the differing opinions here are about the advantages of NROTC over BDCP or BDCP over NROTC. I am currently an NROTC MIDN and was talking to a friend who is was thinking about BDCP as opposed to NROTC. Just wondering what you guys think. More specificly the advantages of becoming a SNA or SNFO out of both programs.

erabe07

Well, it depends where your friend is in his education. I am enrolled in the BDCP program for SNA. Although I very much enjoy getting paid an E-3 salary, I think I would have applied for NROTC out of high school if I knew that is what I wanted to do. Overall, for me, the tuition reimbursement and the opportunities to explore the NAVY in NROTC(summer cruises, etc.) sound worth it. A buddy of mine is in NROTC and he's already flown in an F-18, been in countless simulators, and seen lots of stuff I haven't. However, being in BDCP allows me to stay free of any NROTC classes, drills, PT and any other 'responsibilities'. If you're in a tough major (technical), and you want to have more time to study then getting up to 3 years of BDCP pay really adds up...not to mention it counts as time in service (not too shabby having only 17 years to retirement after comissioning at OCS). I guess overall monetary compensation depends on what you pay for college tuition, but it usually goes that financially its more beneficial to have the Navy pay for all your class. I seem to be rambling now, maybe if you could add a little info I could help with some more specifics on the BDCP side.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^I agree with rabe. If I had known that I wanted to be an officer when I was coming out of high school, I would have definitely gone NROTC. You gain more exposure different aspects of the military plus you get to go to school for free. Granted, BDCP offers a contract into a specific designation (SNA, ect), but I think I would have traded that for all the other stuff that comes with NROTC. I simply didn't know that I wanted to make the military a career option until my junior year in college. At that time, ROTC was possible, but BDCP offered me more benefits. If you're already in NROTC I would stick it out. Does that answer your question?

I would think that becoming SNA/SNFO out of either program is pretty much the same once you get to flight school. Two exceptions though - BDCP pays you enough that you can probably afford a private pilot's license (and beyond) if you wanted to. Some think that's a huge advantage, others not so much. Also, in BDCP you know that you will be SNA, SNFO, SWO or whatever else BEFORE you make any committments. Besides those to differences (and also time in service rabe mentioned), I don't really see much else that would make a big difference out in the fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.