• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP to USNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daiglemort

Hello!

I have two problems. I've been trying to piece together some random thoughts and wild ideas of mine to try to solve them, but it's just not working. I need some help. I currently am a BDCP SNFO, but the college I am at is horrendous. I am desperate to transfer.

Which is not a problem at all. However, when I started looking around at other schools, the Naval Academy caught my eye... I should have applied there rigth away, but alasa, there is problem one! I've been thinking - :)

Can a BDCP "transfer" into the Naval Academy and terminate their BDCP program?

Now, if that's a NO, then problem 2 is moot. I am a College Senior right now, with a 4.0 GPA (no kidding) and two college sports (soccer and track), three individual sports (swimming, solo crew, and surfing), loads of volunteer work (VA clinic and Girl Scouts, 4-H, etc.) and plenty of internships and whatsnots in college. I have worked on 5 campaigns (Two Senate, Two House, One Gubernatorial, and one Presidential) and I just accepted the position of Campaign Manager for a State Senate run here in FL.

I am 17 years old. I graduated high school when I was 14. So I only recently became eligible for the academy anyways. Here's Problem #2.

I was wondering if that was a competitve package. Notice that I did not include my SAT/ACT scores. I didn't ever take the test. I'm one of those crazy crusaders that refuse to take the test.

I have been investigating the requirements of admission to USNA. I found out that I would apply under a Home-Schooled applicant anyways, so the board has to look differently at my packet. The requirement is: "You must be found scholastically qualified by the Admissions Board."

I've jumped that hurdle before. Dartmouth, Georgetown, Vadnerbilt, UCLA, and CAL all accepted my packet without the scores. In lieu of such, I sent a highly detailed, very diplomatic, non-confrontational explanation of my position, the reasons behind such and so forth. I also, due to my campaigning, have more than a few contacts from which to pull glowing letters of rec from.

Is any of this possible? Liberal Arts Colleges are a far cry from a Military Instition. On one of my more insane thoughts, I was pondering whether or not I could apply to the USNA as an Active Duty sailor, due to the BDCP. Is that possible?

I am very very sorry for the long post, and if you've read this far, hopefully you're not laughing so hard at me that you started crying. I was wondering if I could pull anyone's thoughts, ideas or opinions on the matter.

Thank you for your time!
-Grai

Ad astra per aspera

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well, this might clear things up. No one "transfers" to USNA. everyone starts from Plebe year. It's not ROTC where you can join in the middle. Second, are you even old enough to go to OCS? Who the heck was your recruiter? I Coulda sworn 19 is the min age for OCS, but I could be wrong. That being said, since your a senior in BDCP, why would you want to delay your commission 4 years by going to the academy?

Daiglemort

"Transfer" as such because I would rather graduate from that school - even after a delay of 4 years - than stay in my current college one minute more. I have other colleges to pick from (the list in the last message) and continue in my BDCP, but why not try for the best, eh?

I had an age waiver. It was a lengthy process.

Meridiani

I'm no expert, but I believe that you're no longer eligible for USNA, because you have more than 30 credit hours of college.

zachary2777

Banned
What college can be so bad that after being there for over three years you're ready to start all over at the Academy?

I'd say you're crazy. Isn't being an officer your ultimate goal though? If you just stick with your current school (or another civilian one) you'll be an officer long before you'd graduate from the Academy.

Do what you want... just my two cents.

-Zak

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Originally posted by Meridiani
I'm no expert, but I believe that you're no longer eligible for USNA, because you have more than 30 credit hours of college.

Wrong ... I had 70+ quarter hours at one of the best engineering schools in the country before I went to the academy. There were poeple I knew who had even more hours than I did.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Daiglemort,

Let's put it this way. While it's admirable that you desire to go the academy, four years from now, would you rather be a LT with your NFO wings flying in a squadron, or would you rather be an ensign waiting to class up at API. Choice is yours I suppose.

Meridiani

Originally posted by ghost
Wrong ... I had 70+ quarter hours at one of the best engineering schools in the country before I went to the academy. There were poeple I knew who had even more hours than I did.

That's very interesting.
graduate_125.gif
Sorry to give out bad gouge.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I knew a couple people a USNA who were within a semester or so of graduating from a university and 'started over'. They did very well, academically and otherwise. I have a little experience with the admissions office, I would say from what you've posted that your stats are very competitive. Not sure about applying as active duty, as I'm not that familiar with the BDCP program. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.