• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP to pilot, eyesight question

jarhead2b

For anyone who interested, I had LASIK yes the DQing LASIK done and am finalizing my package for final select SNA BDCP. I was OCT SNA Select and completed the PRT and MEPS. In MEPS you will be screened further eyesight wise due to the surgery. After that you submit your package with all the required paperwork which will enter you in a LASIK study for SNAs. Finally in Jax in March the Navy Doctors will do their own examination of my LASIK and provided they are up to their standards for entering the study you will be allowed to receive a final select. The details beyond this I do not know. I bright glimmer of hope for all my fellow LASIK hopefuls.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Wow Topper Harley thank you very much for the response.:) Would you mind telling me the exact name of the PRK procedure you did so I can research doctors and locations? Also I have another question. I have read various posts about how if you want to get the surgery you need to get it done before applying for BDCP. What is the minimum wait from after undergoing the procedure to applying for BDCP?

Sorry it took so long to reply but I had browser issues (IE). I'm not completely sure if they have different names for each of the different ways of doing PRK because it's all the same procedure but the way that they remove the epithelium is different and can be done 5 different ways. My doc did an all laser version of the PRK and removed the epithelium with a laser first then used the laser to correct my vision. It was completely painless the entire procedure. The other procedures look and sound kinda ruff but they are all almost the same but I have read that the all laser version and the alcohol method are the best two because they remove the epithelium very smoothly. Also at the office that my doc works in there was many docs that could perform the procedure and they all did it differently so if you trust a center really well then there is a chance that there is a doctor there that can do the method that you feel the most comfortable with.

To anser your other question is that yes you must have the surgery performed before you can apply for BDCP as an SNA (Student Naval Aviator). This is because they can not give you the flight slot because you're not physically qualified until after your vision is corrected. My recruiter is basically telling to hang loose and stay in shape until I get past the waiting period for my waiver and can take the PRT.

That brings me to the next part of your question, the minimum wait for after the surgery before you can apply. Blarged you're wright on the waiting period. It is 6 months. Immy you are wright and wrong about the 3 month rule. Most officer recruiters will try to submit the waiver at the 3 month mark but it is, from what I have seen from other people posting, denied because the waiting period hasn't past. The 3 month waiting period from what I understand is for someone who is already a Naval Aviator that has the corrective surgery. They then have to wait 3 months before they can be physically qualified to fly again. Really as an applicant the middle of the page really applies to you because it's for Applicants. You must also keep all of your follow up appointments with the doctor so that they can monitor your progress and keep paperwork on it. You are going to need copies of all of the pre and post op paperwork that the doctor keeps on you and the surgery. Most eye doctors will know when you ask for PRK as opposed to LASIK that you are joining the military and are aware of the paperwork needs of the military but please ask them about it and if they are not sure, your officer recruiter may be able to tell them. I really hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you need to :)

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
For anyone who interested, I had LASIK yes the DQing LASIK done and am finalizing my package for final select SNA BDCP. I was OCT SNA Select and completed the PRT and MEPS. In MEPS you will be screened further eyesight wise due to the surgery. After that you submit your package with all the required paperwork which will enter you in a LASIK study for SNAs. Finally in Jax in March the Navy Doctors will do their own examination of my LASIK and provided they are up to their standards for entering the study you will be allowed to receive a final select. The details beyond this I do not know. I bright glimmer of hope for all my fellow LASIK hopefuls.

Jarhead that's awesome. I didn't realize that the Navy was that open with the LASIK study. My OR really only recommended the PRK and to tell the truth I'm glad I had it instead. Good luck in Jax. See you in the air!

Immy

Sorry it took so long to reply but I had browser issues (IE). I'm not completely sure if they have different names for each of the different ways of doing PRK because it's all the same procedure but the way that they remove the epithelium is different and can be done 5 different ways. My doc did an all laser version of the PRK and removed the epithelium with a laser first then used the laser to correct my vision. It was completely painless the entire procedure. The other procedures look and sound kinda ruff but they are all almost the same but I have read that the all laser version and the alcohol method are the best two because they remove the epithelium very smoothly. Also at the office that my doc works in there was many docs that could perform the procedure and they all did it differently so if you trust a center really well then there is a chance that there is a doctor there that can do the method that you feel the most comfortable with.

To anser your other question is that yes you must have the surgery performed before you can apply for BDCP as an SNA (Student Naval Aviator). This is because they can not give you the flight slot because you're not physically qualified until after your vision is corrected. My recruiter is basically telling to hang loose and stay in shape until I get past the waiting period for my waiver and can take the PRT.

That brings me to the next part of your question, the minimum wait for after the surgery before you can apply. Blarged you're wright on the waiting period. It is 6 months. Immy you are wright and wrong about the 3 month rule. Most officer recruiters will try to submit the waiver at the 3 month mark but it is, from what I have seen from other people posting, denied because the waiting period hasn't past. The 3 month waiting period from what I understand is for someone who is already a Naval Aviator that has the corrective surgery. They then have to wait 3 months before they can be physically qualified to fly again. Really as an applicant the middle of the page really applies to you because it's for Applicants. You must also keep all of your follow up appointments with the doctor so that they can monitor your progress and keep paperwork on it. You are going to need copies of all of the pre and post op paperwork that the doctor keeps on you and the surgery. Most eye doctors will know when you ask for PRK as opposed to LASIK that you are joining the military and are aware of the paperwork needs of the military but please ask them about it and if they are not sure, your officer recruiter may be able to tell them. I really hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you need to :)
Good call, thanks for the correction.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
No problem. That part is sooooo misleading, especially since it says no where on that guide for how long the wait is for SNAs. I had to have it explained by someone that called NAMI and posted it on AirWarriors.