• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Switch NFO to Pilot

ldelisio

Hey,
I just got accepted into the BDCP NFO program and I am having a dilemma if I should take it or not. Currently I am a sophomore at Purdue University studying Aeronautical Engineering Technology (Manufacturing and Maintenance of aircraft). I really wanted a Pilot selection but my recruiter told me not to apply for it because I have bad vision. I originally wanted to get PRK surgery and then apply for the Pilot selection later on. Currently I am a college Programmer in NROTC at Purdue and am thinking that I will probably pick up a scholarship for this next semester. If I accept this NFO spot, should I get PRK and then try to apply for a Pilot spot? And if I’m a NFO in the Navy how easy is it to do a lateral transfer to Pilot? When should I get surgery, should I get it in college or wait till I’m in the actual fleet? Also are NFOs allowed to build any hours and get their commercial rating after the Navy?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Lat transfer- very few, less than ten per year... And you can't apply until after you're winged and done with your first tour. Or you can try and make the switch in API... similar odds.

Building hours- nope. Not on the Navy's dime anyways.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't speak as to the mechanics of BDCP, but as to FO-pilot redes:

- First, searchy. Lots of threads here about the process, should you do it and when, eye-zapping to make it happen and when you should do that, etc and so on.

- Second, FO hours don't mean shit for the airlines. They care about PIC of a multi-engine a/c. If you're at Purdue's aviation program, you should know that.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Like Fester said, search. This topic has been covered pretty thoroughly on here. I can tell you that lateral transferring isn't very common. It is however very doable to 'redesignate' communities while in the BDCP program prior to OCS.

Here's what I did. I applied for Pilot, FO, and Supply, got denied for pilot, but approved for supply. I figured hey, being a supply officer wouldn't be a bad gig, i'd still be a naval officer and I could work on switching to aviation throughout my career.

I swore in as BDCP supply, throughout the next 2 years of college, worked my ass off to improve my grades, astb score, extracurricular leadership activities, etc. I put in 3 redesignation requests, each of which I submitted a letter outlining my improvements and strong desire to serve as an aviator (but also stating that i am honored to have a supply slot). The first two were denied, but I got picked up on the last one.

Had I turned down BDCP supply at the get go, not only would I have forefitted 2 years time in service, but two years of pay (probably $60,000+).

Overall, if you truly DO NOT WANT to be an NFO, don't accept the slot. Not only are you preventing someone that wants it badly from getting it, but if you aren't successful in getting your PRK and redesignating, you will be a FO.