• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP questions- I'm a college student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxanation

I'm going to be a sophmore in college. I go to a private jesuit school, very expensive but a very good school. Does not have ROTC or any military affiliation as you can guess.
About me...I'm a mechanical engineering major. I also play a division one sport for a team that competes for a national championship every year. I have a 2.64 GPA which will go up next year (I will make sure of it). I'm a good kid, no police record or any troubles. I can get letters of rec. from many places and am a well-respected person with good morals and values. I had an engineering internship in high school and I also have one this summer. I have held and hold leadership positions in athletics and extra-curricular activities.
I want to apply to BDCP and become an Officer in the Navy most likely in the engineering community. What are my chances, when should I apply? Most of all, is it worth it?

Thanks for any replies. Similar situations would be helpful.

WFU2USN

Lax,

It can't hurt to apply. Work hard this upcoming semester to raise your GPA. You may want to go ahead and contact a Navy Officer Recruiter, and see if you can take the ASTB and see where you score. If you do really well this can offset their view of your GPA. Athletics and extracurricular activities help too! Being in Mech. Eng. will help as well!

Give it a chance and apply! At worst they say, "No." and you continue to improve your GPA and reapply.

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

punac

Once in the program if pursuing a L.A.'s degree you must maintain a 2.7 GPA, for engineering its a 3.3 GPA.

The navy will not accept your packet if your GPA is currently less than what will be expected of you once in the program.

Confirm these levels for yourself with your recruiter so that you know exactly what the minimum is for a packet. Then once you attain them then submit your packet, not before.

Laxanation

Can somebody please look at this site and tell me if it is accurate for this year.

http://www.nrotc.umn.edu/unit/Recruiting%20Site/Officer%20Programs%20Matrix.doc

You may have to cut and paste it if it doesn't automatically link. I am a mechanical engineering major as mentioned above...what program would I be applying for on this page? Regular BDCP, Civil Engineering Corps, Civil Engineering Corps BDCP, or Civil Engineering Corps COLLEGIATE? And what is the difference between the last two?

PUNAC- This is where I got the idea I needed only a 2.7, not 3.3

jaerose

The difference between the last two is a lot of money depending on how long you're in BDCP. A collegiate is just an officer programs DEPer...you don't get paid, but you go in after graduation...at least I think =)

JR

WFU2USN

BDCP = You've been accepted into BDCP for CEC and are being paid full pay and benefits while you're in school.

Collegiate = (I think) - From looking at the website, you basically have to wait a year to get paid pay and benefits.

Give a recruiter a call - they are really your best source!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

punac

That site did indeed say 2.7GPA but trust me, while in BDCP engineering students must maintain a 3.3 There is a reason why they enter the program as an E-5 and can get promoted to E-7. The navy will not risk picking up someone with a proven track record of anything less than a 3.3 for that program.

Think about it, would you really want someone with a 2.7 GPA in charge of nuclear reactor, especially when there are many engineering students with outstanding GPA's, 3.5-4.0

In the office that I went through, the recruiter would not submit your packet unless you had a minimum of a 3.0 for any program, its just too competitive.

In any case, good luck on getting your grades up and good luck with your packet.

Laxanation

Talked to a recruiter today...he informed me the Navy is NOT taking anymore Civil Engineering BDCPs. They have no need at this time, unless you have like 3.8 GPA and have an endless list of credentials, they can't deny.
Also the GPA min. for Civil Engineering is 3.3 but for Nuke BDCP is 2.6. Pretty messed up huh? So with a 2.6 GPA I am smart enough to mess around with Nuclear Reactors but not smart enough to build a bridge!
Also, what is the point of going to Nuke school after college? Half the people I know who enlisted out of high school are in Nuke school within a year. So basically I am throwing my 4-year degree out the window and sitting in the classroom with high school level kids?

Any other BDCP options for a mechanical engineering major?

about the nuke thing...i think there's a nationwide shortage of nuke engineers...when I was still applying to schools there was a program offering me a near full ride at U Mich Ann Arbor if i applied to nuke engr there...and I'm was an out of stater too. So I'd guess the Navy desperately needs nukes.

Laxanation

You're right, the recruiter said the NAvy can't compete with outside companies paying Nuclear engineers 125g's.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I just gotta interject and say that GPA isn't everything. Just because you have a lower or higher GPA doesn't necessarily mean that you will do better or worse than someone else. GPA is extremely over rated.

Laxanation

Again, does anyone know....say I did take the BDCP option for Nuke...what is the point of my 4-year degree when I'll be sitting in school with kids just outta high school?

Status
Not open for further replies.