• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP question -- please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

san_diego

OK here is my problem. I took the BDCP about a year ago. I did not pass the biographical inventory. The recruiter basically told me that I could not make it even if I got a little better score. I have a 3.0 (maybe a little higher). I can get letters of recomendation, besides that I just have a desire. I don't have to community service, ect. Is it even possible to get a BDCP? Also is it even worth it I only have 1 year left of school? If it is not worth it, can you still apply for a pilot slot not through the BDCP? Is it the same process just without the money evey month? Thanks for your help.

Daniel

jaerose

Okay, first I think you mean the ASTB for the test. Second, if you didn't pass the biographical inventory...take the ASTB again because I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that it's not a part of the exam anymore. This time...study your butt off for the exam. Third, your GPA is probably okay as they look at the whole person. What is your major in? Yes, it's possible to get the BDCP, although I don't know what the pilot situation is in your area/nationwide currently. You can apply for pilot anytime...even after graduating, but you want to apply early as it's very competitive and in demand. Lastly, it's always worth it to get paid to go to school. You get salary, housing and food allowances (last two are tax free), insurance and any other benefits active duty members get, plus your time in BDCP counts towards time in rate for pay and I believe retirement as well. So, yes...apply for everything you're qualified for...the worst thing that can happen is you don't get it and you're still not any worse for wear. Nothing to lose...full speed ahead!

Good luck,
JR

san_diego

Thank you very much for the words of advice. My major is political science and i am in the san diego area. I think that I may of had a goffy recruiter because he had me take this test called Military Flight Aptitude Test. I never took the ASVB. I wonder what that is all about? Well thanks again. Oh one more question. Is there anything else that they look at besides your GPA, community service, and recomendation letters??

jaerose

Whole person...comm. serv., letters of rec., motivational statement, extra-curriculars, family/personal situations, personal interviews with 2 officers and so on. You want to take the ASTB (not ASVB)...and they might have you take the ASVAB (which is usually for enlisted personnel). Ask for the Aviation Selection Test Battery (it's for all officer candidates).

JR

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
You are talking to an officer recruiter right? If you're talking to an enlisted recruiter, than chances are that he won't know what the he** you're talking about. In the application process, it gives you a chance to write a letter stating why you want to become a Naval Officer and your duty as an officer. You also have interviews by the CO and XO of your recruiting district. All of this plays in the formula to make the decision if you're qualified for BDCP ( if that's what you're applying for). I think the same goes also if you are graduated, and are applying for a slot in OCS.

jaerose

Echo...echo...just kidding, D. He's right, make sure you're speaking to an officer's program recruiter...not an enlisted programs computer...big difference.

JR

jaerose

D,

Quoting you: "In the application process, it gives you a chance to write a letter stating why you want to become a Naval Officer and your duty as an officer. You also have interviews by the CO and XO of your recruiting district."

Now, I'm no genius, but that looks a lot like the "motivational statement" and "interviews with 2 officers" that I listed =) Then again...yours was more wordy, so it's not blatant plagiarism...he he. Just giving you a hard time.

JR

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Okay JR,

Whatever you say man. I was trying to give him more of an in-depth description of what to expect, rather than a foggy, rather ineffective, vague description. (Now, I am giving you a hard time).

D

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Dan...I am in San Diego as well and while I am not trying to get in the coveted pilot slots, I am working on getting into OCS. My situation is a little different then yours but if you would like to compare notes sometime, feel free to drop me your email address.

Good Luck,
P

Status
Not open for further replies.