• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Process

navyBDCPapp

What is the process of applying to BDCP? I am not familiar with the process. What is the application process, will I have to take the ASVAB test and go to MEPS? How many times a year do selection boards meet? I am a electrical engineering major, with a 3.8 GPA. I am looking at either EOD or Aviation. What is selection based on for BDCP? I probably can get about 7 LOR's, I have been reading the ASTB book to prepare for the exam. I have been review the forum, what does Pro-Rec and Final Select mean?

mikey1983

much of this info can be learned by using the search feature,for aviation carreer field you dont have to take the ASVAB just the ASTB, at least for pilot and NFO that is... and Yes you will have to goto meps at least once for a physical check up. The selection board meets once a month. Alot of things come into play for selection; GPA, criminal history, PFT score, and a few others. Dont know about pro rec and final select though

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
The application for BDCP is very similar to a college application.

They'll ask about GPA, ASTB score, extracurriculars (need some leadership experience), and flight time (not necessary to have, however).

They'll also ask you to tell them about your drug history, criminal record, and outstanding debts.

Pro rec means that you have been professionally recommended by the selection board for the job you have applied for. After that, they'll take a look at your physical readiness test, MEPS physical, and criminal background before they give you final select, which basically means you're in.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. Maybe, but I know people who submitted their application and did not find out until 4-5 months after. It all goes down to luck and timing.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I contacted my recruiter in Feb 06 and am still getting my packet together. If you're in the same boat as me figure about a month to a month and a half between each step (astb, prt, meps etc.)or so. It can be even longer if your recruiter uses paper astb vs. computer, lived in multiple places and have to go back in history 10 years etc. I did the paper version and I am on my 6th week waiting for the results to come back to me. It took almost 4 weeks the first time. Good luck.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
My recruiter just called me and he told me that he wants me to go to MEPS and have my physical done BEFORE we submit my application. The rationale for this is that I know I will fail the PIP test for color vision, but that I might be able to pass the FALANT. This way, I will know whether to apply for SNA/NFO or not, instead of applying, finding out that I'm not PhysQual, and then waiting 6 months.
This is all very great, but I want to know if people on here have done this or if this is heard of.

BigRed389

None
What is the process of applying to BDCP? I am not familiar with the process. What is the application process, will I have to take the ASVAB test and go to MEPS? How many times a year do selection boards meet? I am a electrical engineering major, with a 3.8 GPA. I am looking at either EOD or Aviation. What is selection based on for BDCP? I probably can get about 7 LOR's, I have been reading the ASTB book to prepare for the exam. I have been review the forum, what does Pro-Rec and Final Select mean?

First...contact a recruiter, as he or she will be handling your paperwork from start to finish.

With a 3.8 GPA and EE major(esp if you're coming out of a pretty good school), they will probably get a hard on for you.

They'll explain EVERYTHING to you step by step anyway, so you might as well call em up and only have to hear it once.

Just make sure you're calling up an officer recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My recruiter just called me and he told me that he wants me to go to MEPS and have my physical done BEFORE we submit my application. The rationale for this is that I know I will fail the PIP test for color vision, but that I might be able to pass the FALANT. This way, I will know whether to apply for SNA/NFO or not, instead of applying, finding out that I'm not PhysQual, and then waiting 6 months.
This is all very great, but I want to know if people on here have done this or if this is heard of.
I had a migraine issue in the past that was a concern for me at the time of my application. I was denied from the military out of high school and thought it would be the same two years later. The MEPS doctor did not have any issue with my history, but then I failed the depth perception test (which I later solved by going to a civilian doctor). So to directly answer your question, yes I have done roughly what you are doing. It seemed to make the process a little quicker.

fighterpfeif

My recruiter just called me and he told me that he wants me to go to MEPS and have my physical done BEFORE we submit my application.

Did the same here. It is a nice thing to get the pro-rec call and then just have to do the PRT and resubmit for Final Select. Especially when MEPS is four hours away.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Ahh...I see...well, I've done my PRT, too, now. So provided I get through my MEPS physical and am PhysQual, then I'll be set to go once the Pro-rec happens.

ryanber

I just took the ASTB yesterday morning and scored a 7,7,5, and 57. Is that good? I screwed up on the math section (first section), because I spent too much time on a few of the first problems and ran out of time in the end. I finished before the time was up on everything else, once I got my pace. It was my first take of the test, too. I will hopefully talk to my recruiter today about it.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I just took the ASTB yesterday morning and scored a 7,7,5, and 57. Is that good? I screwed up on the math section (first section), because I spent too much time on a few of the first problems and ran out of time in the end. I finished before the time was up on everything else, once I got my pace. It was my first take of the test, too. I will hopefully talk to my recruiter today about it.

That's pretty good. You are certainly competitive for most communities. What are you applying for?