• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Maximum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTGRAY

I'm currently entering my senior year of college and am curious as to if anyone knows if there is a cutoff for the BDCP? Thanks for any help that you can provide...
bouncy_125.gif

navsup

BDCP Supply
I DONT KNOW IF THERE IS A FORMAL CUTOFF DATE, BUT I CAN TELL THAT THE APPLICATION PROCESS CAN TAKE UP TO 6 OR 7 MONTHS, MAYBE LONGER. I PUT IN MY APPLICATION MAY 15TH. THEY ACCEPTED MY ADVANCED DOCUMENTS ON JULY 25. I STILL HAVENT HEARD IF I PASSED THE 2ND PART. SO MY POINT IS IF YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO GO TO OCS ANYWAY GO AHEAD AND APPLY AND YOU MAY GET A FEW MONTHS OF EXTRA PAY. BUT MY RECRUITER TOLD ME THAT FOR PEOPLE APPLYING NOW THEY PRETTY MUCH ONLY HAVE SLOTS FOR CHAPLAIN. THAT MAY BE AN EXXAGERATION BUT I DONT THINK SO. SLOTS ARE VERY LIMITED OR NON-EXISTENT FOR THIS YEAR. IM GETTING IN BECAUSE I DONT GRADUATE FOR 2 YEARS. IT NEVER HURTS TO TRY!!

GTGRAY

I am attempting to grab a spot in Supply. The only field that the recruiter indicated was completely full for the fiscal year was Pilot. Which is fine because I'm pretty sure the Navy would pass on a color blind pilot....Anyway, I guess I will just submit and find out ...I just thought I would check and see if someone had been accepted in their senior year before..Thanks for all of you help! I sure would love to pick up a spot as I'm currently an E-6 in the reserves and would enjoy receiving the pay while attending school...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on how much money is left. Lately there hasn't been enough money to pay BDCP salary for a senior. Never know.

GTGRAY

Does a senior make more then a freshman? If not it would seem to me that it would be a better deal for the navy to grab a senior and pay him for 8 months vice paying a junior for 2 years...of course after eight years in the navy on active duty I know that what makes sense is hardly ever the rule in the navy!

navsup

BDCP Supply
I am also applying for supply, I hope you get in. I dont know how bdcp would work for you. For those of us without prior service or current enlistment we get paid as E-3. Also when you are in bdcp your are put in the naval reserve in an inactice status. I dont know anything for sure, I'm just floating ideas. This seems like a tricky situation, since you already in the reserve.

NavyLonghorn

If someone is ready to commit and they are already about to finish school.. the Navy doesnt need to pay them to not change their mind over the next two or three years.

GTGRAY

I was readiing on NORU's website that if you were prior active duty and joined the reserves with no break in service that you would get paid at your reserve rank. I have not verified this but even E-3 pay is nice when you add on the BAH for Hawaii! I am not overly excited about heading off ot OCS as I watched them get abused weekly while I was stationed in Pcola on active duty. However, I am excited to become a naval officer and retire in another 12 years!! Good luck on earning the second acceptance from the Navy....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pay in BDCP is based on time in the program and some other variables like helping recruit other people. A senior in his first month gets the same pay as a junior. To the best of my knowledge you don't get to retain your pay and benefits at a higher rank if you come from active duty or are a selected reservist. I'll have to research that, but I have never read anything about those provisions.

erabe07

As for spots, don't completely count them out. I guess it really depends on your stats now that the spots are extremely full. My recruiter didn't guarantee me anything, but basically said I shouldn't have too much trouble getting in (I started the application process around March of this year & was accepted two weeks ago). I'm not sure about prior enlisted as far as pay, but most candidates start at E-3 in BDCP. I think NUPOC's start at E-6 because of the demand. Either recruiting another officer or making the dean's list two semesters in a row gets you promoted one grade. I'm pretty new to this process, so anyone feel free to correct me when & if I screw something up.

GTGRAY

I will save you all the research....This is directly from the NORU website:

1. BDCPs, and CEC Collegiates are enlisted in paygrade E-3, except those who are presently drilling Naval Reservists; they are enlisted in their present paygrade or E-3 whichever is higher, as long as there is no break in service.

Now I just need to get selected.......I have decent stats...I only took the Math/Mechanical portion of the ASTB and received a 50 out of 55, I am an Accounting Major w/ a 3.4 GPA, I have 8 years of prior active duty(supply), and I currently work for DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Service). If there is a spot available I think I can get it....

GTGRAY

I finally found the answer to my question! It appears as though I still have a chance as long as their is a supply slot available for me....

COMPETITIVE PROFILE FOR THE BACCALAUREATE DEGREE COMPLETION PROGRAM (BDCP)

BDCP a very financially rewarding program for applicants and a tremendous tool for recruiters to attract top quality college students to begin a career as a Naval Officer. BDCP candidates are selected by an officer community (Aviation Officer and Surface Warfare Officer BDCP professional selections are made by CNRC staff vice community representatives) when determined that the applicant possesses the desired skills, abilities, and professional growth potential desired by the specific community. Once professionally selected, the CNRC staff conducts an evaluation of the applicant's academic record and selection is based on the assessment of the individual's potential to meet the academic performance standards prescribed for the program.

Several factors are considered in assessing the likelihood of an applicant's ability to achieve the required academic standard:

1. TIME TO GRADUATION: Applicants pursuing technical degrees are eligible for BDCP when they are within 36 months of graduation. A semester is not considered complete until the transcript is received. For example: If an applicant graduates with a technical degree in December 2003, the Fall 2000 transcript (with grades) must be a part of the application in order for the applicant to be considered. Applicants pursuing non-technical degrees are eligible when they are within 24 months from graduation. The approved list of technical and non-technical degrees is attached. Applicants who are in their final semester of college are generally not considered competitive and will not normally be selected because of the short time to graduate. There has been a number of problems associated with the disposition of "one semester BDCP students" that failed to successfully complete the program given the challenge of enforcing the enlisted service obligation to meet program requirements for collegiates with less than one semester in a paid status. Additionally, there is no significant benefit to the Navy in accessing these applicants as a collegiate, vice an in-year non-paid "Depper," given the short time that these students will be in the program until graduation. Given the structure of the Program Authorization, we will consider exceptions to this guideline in cases where extenuating circumstances can be clearly demonstrated.

2. ACADEMIC HISTORY: Applicants must demonstrate that they are capable of maintaining a strong academic performance as a full time student at a regionally accredited four-year college or university. The cumulative grade point average requirement is a minimum of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants earning less than a semester grade point average 2.7 in several semesters, or who show a decreasing academic trend prior to applying for the program, are typically not considered best qualified and will not normally be selected. Applicants that have only completed coursework in a Community College prior to application, though they are accepted to a four-year institution, are eligible to apply for the program. However, these applicants are usually not considered competitive because they have not proven their ability to meet academic performance standards at a four-year school. Historically, most students fail to meet the academic standards of the program in the first one or two semesters following transition from a Community College to a four year institution, are frequently placed on academic probation and in inactive status, and ultimately attrite from the program. Individuals who fall in this category may be favorably considered for BDCP, but they must have successfully completed challenging technical/mathematics courses at the Community College. Finally, students with significant gaps in their status as a full time college student (one or more years) will not be considered for the program until they have met the academic requirements for the program as a full time student immediately prior to application.

3. EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY: Extra activities are considered by the OCMs for the professional recommendations, but they do not weigh much in the boarding process for collegiate selections. These activities may include (but are not limited to) work, family support, community organizations, etc. BDCP applicants are expected to have demonstrated superior academic performance prior to selection.

These guidelines are based on a review of a number of cases in which BDCP students failed to achieve the required academic performance. In many cases, CNRC and NRD personnel were required to spend a significant amount of time to counsel/manage these collegiates. In a majority of the cases, these students ultimately attrited from the program without reaching a commissioning source at a cost of many thousands of dollars to the Navy with no return on the investment.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
GTGRAY - how about that list of approved technical majors? I'm a finance major (previously accounting) and I'd venture to say that both are pretty "technical" as far as the business world is concerned. Especially compared to management or marketing... Anyway, I was just curious. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.