• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bdcp commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog06

I was wondering, if you do BDCP, will you have a naval reserve commitment after serving your active duty time? For supply corps and aviator, though they have different active duty commitments, is there any reserve commitment if you do bdcp?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
There's a reserve commitment period. For instance, I have a 4 year active duty obligation, and a 4 year reserve obligation, for a total of 8 years. If I get out after four years, I owe four years in the reserves, but it's not that big a deal, because I can go inactive reserve, and not really do anything. The big commitment for BDCP is that if you DOR from OCS, you'll be going to bootcamp.

erabe07

Bulldog06-

Here is some information for you that comes directly from my contract papers I signed upon enlistment into the BDCP program with SNA designation. There are at least two relevent issues to mention. Firstly the only way to enroll in the BDCP program and get paid is to enlist (granted you don't have any duties except to turn in transcripts, keep your GPA above 2.7, check in with a recruiter periodically, and do semi-annual PRTs). A portion of this contract (DD Form 4/1 Jan 2001) is below. "a. FOR ALL ENLISTEES: If this is my initial enlistment, I must serve a total of eight (8) years. Any part of that service not served on active duty must be served in a Reserve Component unless I am sooner discharged." As such this should apply for all BDCP applicants in both supply and aviation. Further it is discussed in the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BDCP) Service Agreement. "1. Having volunteered for training under the BDCP, I hereby acknowledge: a. That I will be required to enlist in the Naval Reserve for four years active duty from date of enlistment. This obligation is superseded automatically upon acceptance of a commission. ... 2. j. (2) Upon acceptance of a commission, I will be required to serve at least eight years as a reserve officer in the United States Navy, of which 4 years after receipt of commissioning must be on active duty, as required by the designator 1395. (3) Any portion of this eight-year period not served on active duty will be served on inactive duty...". To further explain: there is an enlistment contract to enroll in BDCP that will be effective if you request disenrollment, or fail to satisfactorily complete requirements for appointment to commissioned grade (this keeps people from joining just to get paid and dropping out before OCS). Once you go through OCS and accept a commission your service obligation is altered according to your designator but will be at least 8 years, 4 of which must be served on active duty. BDCP candidates should not have additional commitments unless they don't accept a commission. Finally, if you're in a designator like aviation, your commitment will be longer, and actually starts after you get winged (6 for helo's and 8 for fixed wing last time I checked). My idea was not to confuse you with this extended post, just provide thorough information to the best of my knowledge. Please do your own investigation with a recruiter and carefully read EVERYTHING, as I did, before making any decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.