• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP and the GI Bill

flyboy123

Hi, I'm a rising senior deciding whether or not to sign up for the BDCP. I am not prior enlisted or NROTC. My only question is: if i take the BDCP, am I eligible to use the GI Bill after the initial 4 year service?

I know for nrotc and the academies, you have to serve at least an additional three years after the four year active duty requirement. But my recruiter and I are not sure how it applies to BDCP. Thanks in advance.

JSnake

Calm down, you could give people more than 15 minutes to respond.

Yes, you can use the G.I. Bill. My OR is actually getting his Masters on the G.I. Bill and he's at the end of his initial commitment, so my guess is you don't have to serve any extra time after your initial commitment.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
BDCP is NOT a scholarship, so yes you absolutely get the GI bill same as any other active duty enlisted sailor. Next question.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BDCP is NOT a scholarship, so yes you absolutely get the GI bill same as any other active duty enlisted sailor. Next question.
Just for the record ... BDCP (?) did not exist in the ol' days ... at least not in any form that I would recognize (UNLESS it's just another acronym for the same-o, same-o program redone & rehab'ed -- and please illuminate me) .... BUT:

4 year rides @ the Boat School and/or NROTC Scholarships (4-year and/or 2-year) + GI Bill ... ???

Not a pwoblem (sic in the Far East), G.I. ... :)

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Academy and ROTC graduates are eligible for the post 9-11 GI bill which would leave me to believe that BCDP is as well. They need to serve 36 months after completion of their commissioning commitment. NAVADMIN 187/09 has the details.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Wow...this seems like a life or death situation that must be answered RIGHT NOW!!!! Chill a bit.....

I was BDCP and was eligible for the GI Bill.

Have you looked on the internet??

flyboy123

I've searched the internet high and low. There's no explicit mention of BDCP and the GI Bill eligibility anywhere. I think it's because it is a program specific to just one branch of the military. So the VA doesn't take any time spelling it out on their website.

fwiw, I also called the gi bill hotline and even they didn't know.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm not 13 years old....so you're gonna have to break down the "fwiw" text lingo.

But we already answered....yes, you get it.

Somewhere in OCS they ask you if you want it. If so, they take $100 a month out of your paycheck for a year. I think it's changed since then (this was '03/'04)...but you are still eligible.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I've searched the internet high and low. There's no explicit mention of BDCP and the GI Bill eligibility anywhere. I think it's because it is a program specific to just one branch of the military. So the VA doesn't take any time spelling it out on their website.

The reason is because BDCP enlists you on active duty for the purpose of to locking you in far an OCS date. Plain and simple. Stop over thinking the program. Everyone who serves at least 36 months after 9/11/01 is eligible. So actually, your time in BDCP will count towards this 36 months.

You don't even need to pay $100 a month anymore, it's automatic. If you did pay in to the old GI Bill, you will get your $1200 and any kicker back in the last disbursement if you exhaust 100% of your post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits.