• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP and Army ROTC Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
The university that I attend, SFA, doesn't have a NROTC detachment, but there is an Army ROTC detachment here. The question I have is: If I get involved with the Army ROTC detachment here, will it make me look better since it will show the board, when I apply for BDCP next fall, that I have leadership experience and training? Or will it hurt?

I am inclined to think that the board will look favorably upon the experience. What do you think? Should I get involved, i.e. take some military science classes or not?

Thanks in advance,
Jolly Roger
pirate_125.gif

RobNLa

Jolly - I would focus on your grades, physical fitness, and social involvement. The board wants to see a "well-rounded" individual who is dedicated to the Navy. While I do not believe that Army ROTC involvement will be detrimental to your chances, I would focus on the other aspects of your packet first. Rather than military science electives, consider picking up a more technical minor such as math, chemistry, or physics. Study for the ATSB and do your absolute best. Just my opinion.

RobNLa

Jolly - I am assuming you mean Stephen F. Austin when you refer to your university. Am I correct? And if so are you going through the Shreveport recruiting station?

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
RobNLa,

Your are correct, I go to Stephen F., I didn't know that Shreveport had an officer recruiting station. I have made contact with officer recruiting station in Houston, but nothing substantial. Is the Shreveport office any good? Are you happy with them?

Ok to the heart of the matter, my background:

Academics:

GPA- 2.0 (sucks I know, I had a bad start, but it WILL be a 3.0 by next fall)
Major- Double in History and Physics
Minor- Astronomy and Mathematics
ASTB- I have yet to take it.

Social:

I have 120hrs volunteer time at our airshow. This year I took on the responsibility of securing and booking hotel rooms for the show pilots and aiding in fund raising. I am also a member of the Society of Physics Students. I also work 30-35hrs a week at an FBO at the airport. I also volunteered during the Columbia disaster.

Extras:

I am working on my PPL and plan to have my instrument rating when I apply (A friend of mine has a T-34B that I hope to get my instrument rating in). I also will be a certified SCUBA diver (taking that this fall) and I plan to take a AFF class as well.

Letters of Recomendation:

I will have letters of recomendations from a retired AF bird colonel (test pilot), an American Airlines captain, a neurosurgeon, my boss, and few others that I can know I can get.

Other than GPA and taking the ASTB (I know I have to kick ass and I have already starting studying the ASTB gouge here and I know that I can kick the ASTB in the balls.

So, any suggestions?

RobNLa

I would highly recommend the Shreveport station's officer recruiter, Chief Eric Johnson. He was extremely helpful and always willing to answer my questions. However, he is being shipped out next month, and he told me that he would not be replaced immediately.

If you blow the ATSB out of the water and bring up your gpa, it seems to me that you will have a strong packet to put together. The ppl and strong LOR's will be a definite plus. Make sure that you apply for BDCP as soon as you can. You will rack up on the active duty time, not to mention the money. The current competitive package includes a 3.2 gpa in a technical major. However, the competive profile is constantly changing.

If you are still early in your academic career, hard work can rapidly improve your gpa. Just don't lose sight of your goals and work hard. Good luck!

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Thanks, Rob for your help. What stage in the process are you at? I have about 2 1/2 years to graduation.

Best Regards,

Jolly Roger
pirate_125.gif

RobNLa

My packet should be before the board right now, and I still have a year to go until graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.