• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BCDP and Embry riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eat_sleep_fly_guy

Hey guys, anyone currently going to riddle on the BDCP(with sna slot)? Was wondering how much you're actually getting a year.(18k?) I really want to transfer to riddle next fall after I finish my core classes, but I cant afford paying for all of it.

Thanks,
James

av8tor

BDCP pays eighteen hundred a month / 2100 a month if you get on Dean's List 2X. Why are you transferring? Most guys will tell you that a degree outside aviation is benneficial in case of the remote possibilty that something stalls your plans at becoming a pilot. Honestly, this rarely happens, but I have seen friends develop medical conditions which prevented them from continuing in their pursuit. For myself, I found out I've had a hole in my heart since birth, 6 years into my commitenment. This hasn't prevented my flight status, since I'm already winged, but if it had been found at NOMI, my career plans would have changed drastically.

E

eat_sleep_fly_guy

Im transfering from a community college, i didnt just change my major all of a sudden or anything;). Thx for the warning about medical problems

Rob_ERAU

Which Embry-Riddle Campus are you transferring to? I transfered to ERAU from a community college, I'm in the Marine Corps PLC Aviation option. The sucky thing is that I could have saved me...well...$40K by just going to a state university and majoring in something like business, like all my friends, and got flight trained on the side at a private airport and still get the Marine Aviation slot just as easy, just like a bunch of my friends. Now who is getting the better deal? If you ask my buddies they would say them, why, cause we all applied for the samething and we all got it, except I will come out of here $105K in debt and they will come out around $6K in debt.
Please, don't get me wrong, I like Riddle but it is very expensive. My roomate is in the Navy BDCP flight program and he still has to take out a significant amount of loans. I'm not entirely sure what the amount is but he says he will still come out of here 60K to 70K in debt.

It is up to you though. Just thought I would give you a little advice.
Stay Motivated
Rob

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Aye, Riddle is very pricey...and I think we all know that junior officers don't get paid a whole lot, so paying back loans will probably take a while. However, they are the number one school for Aerospace Engineering...and to somebody like me who wants to go an extra step after flying for the Navy, I think it's worth it. It's like the down payment on my trip to Mars...hahaha

But anyways, at least apply to Riddle. They are pretty good about helping you find financial aid. They send me crap in the mail all the time about loans that I qualify for and stuff...

Goodluck

dancer

I am a senior at Riddle and will graduate with about 60k in loans. If you love aviation/aerospace it is the place to be because everything is all about your favorite topic. But it is very very expensive.

I am considering BDCP for my last year at Riddle. Any advice??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
dancer,
Stop "considering it" and apply. Anyone within a year of graduating will have a slim chance of selection. Don't wait any longer If you have doubts, start the process today and ask questions along the way. I can not emphasize it enough for all wannabes on the board. You cannot wait until you are just a year from graduation. The competitive profile goes way up and the number of quotas goes way down. Get off you butt. This is you future.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by wink
dancer,
Stop "considering it" and apply. Anyone within a year of graduating will have a slim chance of selection. Don't wait any longer If you have doubts, start the process today and ask questions along the way. I can not emphasize it enough for all wannabes on the board. You cannot wait until you are just a year from graduation. The competitive profile goes way up and the number of quotas goes way down. Get off you butt. This is you future.

My recruiter told me basically the same thing when I applied. If you are inside 12 months from graduating, I think you would need to apply for a direct accession spot in OCS. You still get to apply into a specific program (NFO, pilot, intel, ect) but you don't get the benefit of BDCP money. I don't think the 12-month thing is a rule but like wink said, the competitive profile goes way up. APPLY NOW!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I heard they were not even considering anyone for BDCP money if they were within 8 months of graduating. Straight OCS DEP (delayed entry program)in a non pay status if you select within 8 months of graduating. Still, give it a shot asap.

Rob_ERAU

Wink,
My suite mate (Montie) who talked to you when you were up here (ERAU) Oct. 2 just went down to Phoenix to take the ASTB (last Friday), he scored an OAR of 46 and got a really good Pilot Score, don't remember exactly what they were. He is going to retake and try to get over a fifty, he says he rushed the test way to fast and next time he'll manage his time more wisely. Anyways, he came back saying the samething you just said about the 8 month notice. He said you and Mr. Harris have really helped him out and to tell you thanks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rob,
One of you guys let me know when he tests next and I'll try to come in to work that day.

Rob_ERAU

Cool! I will definitely let you know when he is going down again. He said he asked if you were there but Dave said no. School/Flying is killing our free time lately so I would count on sometime around December 12-15ish. I thought maybe I'll go with him and finish up some stuff I have with the Corps.

hrntcat18

DONT GO TO RIDDLE....YOU CAN GET ANY DEGREE, riddle is very pricey and in my opinion not worth it, i am taking 15 credits for under 2k at utah valley state college and its accredited online.

Status
Not open for further replies.