• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BBC calls aircraft carrier a "boat," hilarity ensues

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
QE is a big boat. Laid out more like an amphib on the inside than a CVN as far as passageways and such. The manning number is still in flux. Last count I believe was 780ish for ships company. Then the Airwing of whatever size and makeup is deploying. She is a nice ship. Largest berthing compartment for the troopers is an 8 man. Way nicer than our boats. The bar on board offers a nice touch as well.

I was going to say, the diagram conspicuously left out the bar...

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
4.2 miles of sausage? I guess being on the boat ship will be a sausage fest in more ways than one.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was going to say, the diagram conspicuously left out the bar...

The Italian carrier CVH-550 Cavour has 3 bars... and the officer's bar is awesome. Nothing beats some CAVOK day CQ followed by a couple cocktails. We're going about it all wrong on our boats.

/of course having PriFly above the bridge makes controlling recoveries a little more of a PITA.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
/of course having PriFly above the bridge makes controlling recoveries a little more of a PITA.
Funny; it worked just fine the last time I recovered aboard ship. ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
From a Jump Jet Fighter LSO or Boss perspective? Is the PITA due to the change in sight picture and or distance from the LA to the LSO?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
T
From a Jump Jet Fighter LSO or Boss perspective? Is the PITA due to the change in sight picture and or distance from the LA to the LSO?

They don't use the airboss like we do. They basically turn it over to the LSO to run everything during harrier flight ops. It works as well as any Italian system works I suppose. The annoyance with PriFly over the bridge is that, while you can observe launches better, you can't see guys at the initial and don't have as good a view aft for straight-ins.

Of course... 3 bars dude. Worth it.