• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Battlefield Commission

Match762

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm just going off what I've been told. I am currently in the IRR and have been in that status for about six months. This morning I got a call from my former command saying that the Marine Corps was reinstating the battlefield commissioning program and they wanted to know if I wanted them to put in a package for me. They said they didn't have any details on it yet because it was just starting and a message had been sent out to start compiling names. My question is does anyone know anything about this or know where I can find something?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I am not going to come out either way on this right now I am just going to make a few observations.

1) I just dug through some MARADMINS and ALMARS and can't find any mention what so ever of anything close to that.
2) As far as I know I haven't heard even a rumor that there is a shortage of Combat Arms officers or for that matter officers in general.

Now that is not saying they aren't, thats just saying that I haven't even heard of mention of such a NEED from those I know in the combat arms stateside or overseas. Let us know if you find out anything though...

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Perhaps they are doing that to have more reserve officers? I don't know for sure, just speculating. I do know they are hurting for reserve officers.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
but why would they go through the trouble of making an IRR officer.......IRR doesn't get called until sh*t hits the fan.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC_Candidate said:
but why would they go through the trouble of making an IRR officer.......IRR doesn't get called until sh*t hits the fan.....
You mean like right now? There are lots of IRR call-ups - I know several of them.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Ummm..aren't battlefield commissions awarded, uh,on the battlefield? They historically aren't the kind of thing you put a package in for. Think of Audie Murphy as an example. Or, every officer in a company gets whacked and a staff sergeant gets the dime. Not something I've heard of in recent history.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I haven't heard anyone come on here to confirm this "story"...I think it is safe to say that it isn't a go...

KBayDog

RetreadRand said:
That's exactly what I was thinking...put in a package for a battlefield commission...strange...but they don't have Microsoft Word on the battlefield...I can't get the font they want for the board...damn there goes my chance

There's no board, and you do NOT need MS Word.

Everything is done via Marine Online these days. After all, Marines always have access to Marine Online. All you do is submit your battlefield commission chit through the Police Sergeant, and then log onto Marine Online and select the rank to which you wish to be commissioned.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
There's no board, and you do NOT need MS Word.

Everything is done via Marine Online these days. After all, Marines always have access to Marine Online. All you do is submit your battlefield commission chit through the Police Sergeant, and then log onto Marine Online and select the rank to which you wish to be commissioned.
:D (virtual rep)

Brett

KBayDog

RetreadRand said:
Man, I wish the Navy did it that way...I would pick flying CWO!

Well, did you hear the good news?

I thought I'd be the first to tell you that the Navy now has a program where they are going to appoint enlisted sailors as warrant officers and send them through flight school. Yeah - I just heard about it! And now I am the first to spread the word!

I wonder what everyone thinks about it? Why don't we start a thread to discuss Navy CWO pilots?!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!