• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bathrooms on aircraft carriers

HuggyU2

None
Your flight suit is sealed up tighter than a drum with no integrated neck seal? PHEW! So that particular David Clark suit must have been "Huggy's Forever".
For the record, I'm not a member of the Strato-Shitters club. Thank you,... thank you very much.

The neck seal was a mod the Shuttle crews did to the suit. We actually do have a face seal, so that the face area gets 100% O2, and the rest of the suit is ambient. You "don't smell shit" until you open up the visor in the chocks. By then, the cockpit is ripe.

HuggyU2

None
If you've never seen this video, check it out. Listening to the flight lead unable to stop laughing is hysterical.
It's from a 4-ship of Vipers.

jmcquate

Contributor
For the record, I'm not a member of the Strato-Shitters club. Thank you,... thank you very much.

The neck seal was a mod the Shuttle crews did to the suit. We actually do have a face seal, so that the face area gets 100% O2, and the rest of the suit is ambient. You "don't smell shit" until you open up the visor in the chocks. By then, the cockpit is ripe.
Puts a whole new twist on the "coffin corner".

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If you've never seen this video, check it out. Listening to the flight lead unable to stop laughing is hysterical.

Please tell me somebody got a new call sign out of this!

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord

All I could think of during that video was how professional and proficient their ground controllers were and how jealous I am.

We have been struggling at Oceana lately with ground and tower.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
All I could think of during that video was how professional and proficient their ground controllers were and how jealous I am.

We have been struggling at Oceana lately with ground and tower.

I think Giant Killer takes the cake for the worst controllers I have worked with. They are just inept and unprofessional the vast majority of times that I have dealt with them.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think Giant Killer takes the cake for the worst controllers I have worked with. They are just inept and unprofessional the vast majority of times that I have dealt with them.

I wish I could "agree" 1000 times. Granted there is a lot of general buffoonery from NTU tower and ground, but GK is consistently the worst. I'd say even worse than Beaver, who really isn't a very high benchmark to compare against.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Agreed. At 3 AM, they vector someone literally right at us, then bitch at us when we deviate from our assigned altitude.

"Trident, I show you off assigned heading at 23.5 and descending."
"I deviated to avoid a near mid air. thanks for that."
"....crickets..."

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I wish I could "agree" 1000 times. Granted there is a lot of general buffoonery from NTU tower and ground, but GK is consistently the worst. I'd say even worse than Beaver, who really isn't a very high benchmark to compare against.

I used to think that NTU ATC and GK were pretty rough...then I came to Atsugi.

Count your lucky stars. These controllers are shit awful.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to think that NTU ATC and GK were pretty rough...then I came to Atsugi.

Count your lucky stars. These controllers are shit awful.

We usually went VFR when we flying over there, kind of hairy going over Tokyo at times (Was that a JAL 747 that just went past us? Oh look, now an ANA 767...) but it was better than trying to deal with the controllers. Sometimes we had no choice though, like getting a PAR into Misawa down to mins.......fun times.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Not a fan of Japanese PARs. Did one at Atsugi and Misawa and did not enjoy it. Honestly, the best ones I've dealt with are the controllers in 5th Fleet. The last time I was out there they were top notch, easily understandable and very easy to work with, especially considering how much of a pain in the ass we are.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not a fan of Japanese PARs. Did one at Atsugi and Misawa and did not enjoy it. Honestly, the best ones I've dealt with are the controllers in 5th Fleet. The last time I was out there they were top notch, easily understandable and very easy to work with, especially considering how much of a pain in the ass we are.

Yes...the Expat Aussies/Brits/Americans.

The others, not so much.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you top this... launched off USS Boat in the C-1A 500 miles out, with a load of pax bound for Hong Kong. The wx got 'claggy' with multi layers enroute, and by the time we could establish contact w/ HK Approach, we were well past the point of no go bock sheep. We wanted a radar/PAR into Kai Tak (in 1972) but we & the controllers couldn't understand each other... their English was Chinese to us, and I guess our English was bad Chinese to them. I started sweating it as we neared the mainland, then magically through a break in the cloud decks, visually pick up the outer islands & slid underneath for a visual approach. That in itself was hairy. It was a much steeper than normal glide path, due to high-rise buildings under/near runway extended centerline. A thrill a miute sliding down the slope, peripherally seeing buildings more elevated than YOU, flashing by both sides.:eek: Luckily, the Trader didn't have a long rollout! Much jubilation that evening at the Peninsula Hotel, calming shattered nerves. Hallalujah for HK's beautiful relatively new, modern, mucho safer airport!:)
Hugh the 'CODfather' C-1A.jpgPeninsula Hotel.jpg
BzB