• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bathrooms on aircraft carriers

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the world's newest, largest, highest tech warship USS RONALD REAGAN (CVA-76), they would consider the above "pots" a luxury lately... at sea, they have been experiencing random 1/2 to total failure of the ships 'hi-tech' waste disposal system (toilets/urinals). Reports are that sinks, tubs, plastic bags, and "Omigod", overboard from sponsons have been resorted to for relief. This was reported approx a week or two ago, can't track down if the system is back on line again. Think about it...that's a serious problem!!!:eek:
View attachment 12007
BzB

BusyBee - the Reagan is actually doing good on the heads. It's the USS George HW Bush (CVN-77) that has the newfangled vacuum potties that seem to quit working.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
One can always micturate in a good old gatorade bottle you keep next to your rack if the head is too far down the p-way.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BusyBee - the Reagan is actually doing good on the heads. It's the USS George HW Bush (CVN-77) that has the newfangled vacuum potties that seem to quit working.
Ooops roger that, pardon my error... I plead innocent by reason of senility.:oops:
BzB

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The officer heads on both carriers that I have been on are the among the most disgusting that I have ever used. Imagine in your minds eye a standard Navy head, only nobody who uses it cleans it and those who do clean it don't give two shits about it.
I never realized that (mostly) sober dudes have such poor aim and the amount of piss, pubes, and other various biological specimens can accumulate over such a short period of time. It is pretty gross. I recommend a sturdy pair of shower shoes.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
A typical enlisted berthing will have 3-4 showers, 3-4 commodes and a couple of urinals. To be used by the 80-100 people in there. Officer's heads vary.
Actually, Nimitz carriers were built with urinals which are then ripped out in the first shipyard period. I think this has something to do with the changes they made from the original ships drawings to allow for female crewmembers. Old timers might have some insight on this one. The only urinal on the two boats I was on was in the head by flight deck control. Our flight deck officer actually went and got parts from Lowes to fix it because the navy didn't stock any.

exNavyOffRec

Actually, Nimitz carriers were built with urinals which are then ripped out in the first shipyard period. I think this has something to do with the changes they made from the original ships drawings to allow for female crewmembers. Old timers might have some insight on this one. The only urinal on the two boats I was on was in the head by flight deck control. Our flight deck officer actually went and got parts from Lowes to fix it because the navy didn't stock any.

When they were ripped out depended on when the ship was brought into service, the Lincoln had them when I left in 2001 but they were gone when I came back in 2005, the HT friends of mine said maintenance on them was a nightmare, and women or not ripping out the urinals was the best thing for the HT's.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
When they were ripped out depended on when the ship was brought into service, the Lincoln had them when I left in 2001 but they were gone when I came back in 2005, the HT friends of mine said maintenance on them was a nightmare, and women or not ripping out the urinals was the best thing for the HT's.
Talk about a thankless job...fishing a pair of drawers out of a CHT line that is clogged...no thanks. It is like being a plumber for a prison.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I may have had some wine after dinner tonight.... but I am sober enough to know to stay off this thread!

exNavyOffRec

Talk about a thankless job...fishing a pair of drawers out of a CHT line that is clogged...no thanks. It is like being a plumber for a prison.

I really enjoyed it when the HT's had to make sure the women knew not to flush the "once a month" items down the toilets, oh what fun that was.

Chris94

CWO selected
O6 gets this:

coming_to_america_akeem_bath_slpr.jpg

you get this:
joe-trainspotting-1262e22.jpg

or maybe even:

Full-Metal-Jacket-bathroom-590x350.jpg
Good to know... I guess I'll take #3, I liked the movie at least....

Chris94

CWO selected
Finally a thread with the hard hitting questions and in-your-face answers that I frequent AirWarriors to read about!

Sequestration talk and that dude with the crazy "what % get what after sequestration" or whatever graphs was getting lame.
Of course! I thought you guys could go for some intelectual conversation.

OscarMyers

None
I really enjoyed it when the HT's had to make sure the women knew not to flush the "once a month" items down the toilets, oh what fun that was.

Instead of proper disposal, we had a lovely lady deposit it in the top angle iron in the unisex head by our shop on the Ike. Eventually someone tracked down the odor. Have fun with that infantry.