• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Basic Guide to the SUPer exam. (The new test needed to commission flying warrant officers).

FlyingGator

Good morning to all the members of this community,

Yesterday I took the SUPer exam for enterance to the AVO program and luckily I passed with a score of 103. I wanted to share some info about the test to any future applicants. Here are some questions I had before taking the test that I couldn't find answers on that would have given me some peace of mind.

What is the SUPer? : Selection of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Personnel 'SUP' test.

Is the test hard? : That's subjective to each person, not all people are the same. For me, this was a pretty hard test to take. Maybe that was because I didn't sleep the night before and left at 630 to test, who knows... but it was pretty hard.

How long is the test? : a little over an hour with check in times etc...

Where do I go to take the test? : Some officer recruiting stations have it, but every NROTC unit has access to the testing software used to conduct this test.

What is on the test? : Each applicant signed a form to not disclose *Exact* test materials, but the test is broken down into 10 modules, each ranging from 3-12 minutes.

The 10 modules are the following:

- Completion Test : This is a test of how well you can remember what you hear, They give you a couple paragraphs from a book about aviation to listen to and ask you to fill in blanks that are left out on screen. An example sentence would be "The dog jumped over the dark blue fence near the river" on screen it would say "The dog jumped over the ____ blue fence near ____ river." Theres about 20 sentences in the reading and they talk at a 1.25x speed.

- Spacial Orientation : This is a test of your ability to imagine how an object would be viewed from a different angle and perspective. they give you a simulated room with a window and you have to see what the object in front of the window would look like at different angles or depths.

- Following Directions : This is a test to see how quickly and accurately you can scan items and make quick comparisons to a list of instructions you are given. This is pretty simple, you have to fill out rows and rows of critical thinking problems while using a direct set of instructions and protocols for each question

- Memory for landmarks : This is by far the HARDEST part of the test. The tests gives you 10 seconds to glance at google earth images and then edits certain pixels of the photos (ie. changing a color of a car on the road, or making a line have a bend or taking away a shadow). you have 10 seconds to see if a change has been made.

- Instrument readings: This is self explanatory, you will be tested on your ability to read aircraft instrument.

- Necessary Facts test : This tests your ability to determine what information is needed to solve complex problems. The test will throw a 10 step math word problem out there and tweak with the wording so you have to say what information you need to solve the problem in a VERY short amount of time.

- Traffic Navigation : This tests your ability to improvise and navigate to different points while being pressured by time. This part also requires quick math to solve simple time/distance questions

There are multiple changed modules for each of these tests. Each tester signed a form saying we wouldn't give out any specific questions for the test, so aside from general statements I can divulge what exactly you will be tested on.

I hope this helps any applicants going for drones!

JAS21tcu

Good morning to all the members of this community,

Yesterday I took the SUPer exam for enterance to the AVO program and luckily I passed with a score of 103. I wanted to share some info about the test to any future applicants. Here are some questions I had before taking the test that I couldn't find answers on that would have given me some peace of mind.

What is the SUPer? : Selection of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Personnel 'SUP' test.

Is the test hard? : That's subjective to each person, not all people are the same. For me, this was a pretty hard test to take. Maybe that was because I didn't sleep the night before and left at 630 to test, who knows... but it was pretty hard.

How long is the test? : a little over an hour with check in times etc...

Where do I go to take the test? : Some officer recruiting stations have it, but every NROTC unit has access to the testing software used to conduct this test.

What is on the test? : Each applicant signed a form to not disclose *Exact* test materials, but the test is broken down into 10 modules, each ranging from 3-12 minutes.

The 10 modules are the following:

- Completion Test : This is a test of how well you can remember what you hear, They give you a couple paragraphs from a book about aviation to listen to and ask you to fill in blanks that are left out on screen. An example sentence would be "The dog jumped over the dark blue fence near the river" on screen it would say "The dog jumped over the ____ blue fence near ____ river." Theres about 20 sentences in the reading and they talk at a 1.25x speed.

- Spacial Orientation : This is a test of your ability to imagine how an object would be viewed from a different angle and perspective. they give you a simulated room with a window and you have to see what the object in front of the window would look like at different angles or depths.

- Following Directions : This is a test to see how quickly and accurately you can scan items and make quick comparisons to a list of instructions you are given. This is pretty simple, you have to fill out rows and rows of critical thinking problems while using a direct set of instructions and protocols for each question

- Memory for landmarks : This is by far the HARDEST part of the test. The tests gives you 10 seconds to glance at google earth images and then edits certain pixels of the photos (ie. changing a color of a car on the road, or making a line have a bend or taking away a shadow). you have 10 seconds to see if a change has been made.

- Instrument readings: This is self explanatory, you will be tested on your ability to read aircraft instrument.

- Necessary Facts test : This tests your ability to determine what information is needed to solve complex problems. The test will throw a 10 step math word problem out there and tweak with the wording so you have to say what information you need to solve the problem in a VERY short amount of time.

- Traffic Navigation : This tests your ability to improvise and navigate to different points while being pressured by time. This part also requires quick math to solve simple time/distance questions

There are multiple changed modules for each of these tests. Each tester signed a form saying we wouldn't give out any specific questions for the test, so aside from general statements I can divulge what exactly you will be tested on.

I hope this helps any applicants going for drones!
Do you have any recommendations on how to best prepare for this exam? Thank you by the way for sharing this information.

FlyingGator

Do you have any recommendations on how to best prepare for this exam? Thank you by the way for sharing this information.
This is a test you can’t really study for. There isn’t a dedicated math or science portion. The only thing I could recommend would be doing complex math word problems. The word problems help with the necessary facts portion.

FlyingGator

Great gouge, thank you. Did you go in to it blind? How does the scoring work, is it like the asvab scored to 99 or more like the ASTB?
I went in worse than blind, I had 0 hours of sleep before. Woke up at 0700 chugged 2 bangs and drove to be at my testing site by 1000.

To be honest, the scoring is unique. It’s on a point system like the ASVAB but it doesn’t cap at 99 and it determines score based off what you don’t answer, get wrong and get right. I’m not exactly sure what the max score you can get is, about 50% say the max is 120 50% say max is 150. I have never heard anyone say anything besides those two numbers. Regardless of the maximum score you need a 96 to qualify baseline.

FlyingGator

Alright, the official max score is unveiled. Surprisingly it is 145! Not 120 or 150. I guess everyone was wrong?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Alright, the official max score is unveiled. Surprisingly it is 145! Not 120 or 150. I guess everyone was wrong?
This means it likely that it's a bell curve (normal distribution) score, centered on 100 with every 15 being a standard deviation (very much like an IQ test).

Advancement exams are normal (Z) scores, but centered on 50 with SD of 10. The ASTB I took years ago was similar, with a center at 5 and max of 9.

FlyingGator

This means it likely that it's a bell curve (normal distribution) score, centered on 100 with every 15 being a standard deviation (very much like an IQ test).

Advancement exams are normal (Z) scores, but centered on 50 with SD of 10. The ASTB I took years ago was similar, with a center at 5 and max of 9.
That was my first thought. I just didn't want to claim something that I didn't have supporting information for.