• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
"Hart said 174,000 Marines are on active duty. While the Marine Corps cost just 1 percent of the nation's military budget, it is involved in 98 percent of the nation's military actions. Just 10 percent of those Marines are officers, he said."

That doesn't sound right... the budget has got to be more than 1%

triplejayz

snake driver
1% does seem pretty low, but I heard from someone that said the Marine Corps budget is less than the Air Force's recreation budget...whether that is true or not...wouldn't surprise me (I grew up as an Air Force dependent...and the installations were amazing!)

Forgot to throw in there...so this guy is already a hornet driver...pretty confident considering how selection days go!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think we're 5% of the budget, but provide something like 1/3 the ground forces and 1/4 of the air. Don't quote me, I remember that from my recruiter's propaganda sheet from 10 years ago.

I'm sure he was just taken out of context by the paper. But he should get a lot of crap, anyways. All you new guys fwd it to your old SPCs!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
I think we're 5% of the budget, but provide something like 1/3 the ground forces and 1/4 of the air. Don't quote me, I remember that from my recruiter's propaganda sheet from 10 years ago.

I'm sure he was just taken out of context by the paper. But he should get a lot of crap, anyways. All you new guys fwd it to your old SPCs!

I have heard the 5% figure quoted a few times so I think it is pretty accurate. There are several reasons for that which includes all your medical personnel are Navy along with a chunk of the facilities, utilizing Army and Navy training to a large degree and not having to pay for the schools and their support system (aviation, armor, artillery etc.) and having most of your strategic transportation provided by others, ships from the Navy and a lot of planes from the Air Force. Couple that with the fact that the Marines have comparatively few bases and a pretty junior force overall, Marines are cheap! Did that come out right?

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Wishful thinking. . .

He soon departs for Quantico, Va., then to Pensacola, Fla., to begin about a two-year training stint to become an F-18 fighter jet pilot.
Hopefully he'll get selected for what he wants.

Even if he catches on in flight school real fast and becomes the top SNA, his selection for what pipeline and eventual a/c type will still be luck of the draw.

Gone are the days when you can get selected for fighters and a/c type before TBS. The program (where that can happen) was called the Aviation Cadet program (it's been defunct for the USMC for awhile now) and when you finished Flight School you were also commissioned on the day of winging. (FYI, Col Greg "Pappy" Boyington went that route way back when.)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They won't "trash" him, just give him some well-deserved ribbing. This article might "happen" to end up on a bulletin board somewhere!

Taxman2A

War were declared.
PRIMBESY said:
Patmack & Phrogdriver,
Would this "F-18" Marine's TBS command really trash him for this?

Depends on what you mean by "trash"...

If you mean destroy his carreer, then no... but if you mean rip on him every time his company or platoon got together, then hell yes! My platoon had a guy who was on the MTV show "Dismissed" and got "Dismissed"! Man... if we didn't ever search the internet for a copy of that episode...

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Maybe the person writing the article wrote it like that after interviewing him. It might be possible that he said that F-18s is what he wanted, and the author took a spin on it. A similar thing happened to me in an article once - it sounded nothing at all like what I had said. Oh well, either way he should have had a chance to view it before it was published so he should have caught it.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
phrogdriver said:
They won't "trash" him, just give him some well-deserved ribbing. This article might "happen" to end up on a bulletin board somewhere!

I'll try and make sure it does... There are a few of us on this forum that went to OCS with him. I believe that he probably said it, just in the short amount of time I was exposed to him. However, that's just speculation on my part. Nevertheless, I'm going to make sure he catches hell for it when we show up to TBS. Don't worry. ;)

TargetInSight

And he had to be from my home state

...I hear you on that, though he was from my ex-g/f's hometown... and with the amount of IQ floating around her and that area, I'm not too suprised! :D

Oh well, either way he should have had a chance to view it before it was published so he should have caught it.

And you know of a journalist in a newspaper that does that?

What is the world coming to!? Honest reporting??? hahahaha...

It's more fun to blame it on the newbie anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.