• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Baghdad ER

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but don't think it really matters. This forum is a great place and we share a great deal of information and joke with each other, and it is pretty lighthearted (most of the time) But I wanted to bring something somewhat serious in.
I just finished watching an episode of Baghdad E.R. an it was quite moving. I don't think any of us need to be reminded that there is a war going on, and every check in brief seems to have the line "If you don't think you'll be in Iraq in a year, your wrong.". We all know what we signed up for, but this show is something I think we all should try and watch. Being on HBO it is able to be a little more graphic. Watching a group of Marines, Soldiers, and probably Sailors cry over the body of a Marine whos life they just tried to save...well I would challange most people to not be moved. So if you can, give it a watch, make your friends watch it, make your spouses watch it, make your parents watch it, make your hippie friends watch it, everyone should watch it.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I've never heard of the show, but I can say that you're probably right about ending up here. Even the HS guys jumped off their Carrier earlier this week to come say "hi" to us (and log green-time and tactical landings). So what is the premise of the show, if I may ask? Those of us out here doing it would like to know what HBOs take on medevac, etc. is.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
It is based in a Baghdad trauma center. The thing that I like is it doesnt fill the time with fluff. I don't know when it was filmed and it isn't on all the time. As far as I know there is only a couple episodes.

hscs

pilot
Don't have HBO, but CNN had something similar about the CSH in Balad. It is always tough to see a -46 followed by a Cobra head over to that side of the base.

MasterBates

I remember watching this in 2005 (I think). Not sure if they are filming new episodes.

Not recommended for those with weak stomachs. It made the Manatee regurgitate her cud.

Unlike a lot of TV shows about the war, it did not seem to be preachy. Just showed the Docs, Nurses, and Corpsmen/Medics doing what they can.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Not recommended for those with weak stomachs. It made the Manatee regurgitate her cud.

Unlike a lot of TV shows about the war, it did not seem to be preachy. Just showed the Docs, Nurses, and Corpsmen/Medics doing what they can.

Yeah, it was a little interesting last night when they showed the guy with his belly cut wide open while being operated on, but I think thats a good thing because no other shows is able to show that without bluring it out.

And yes it is very unbiased which I think is the main reason it is so good.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Just watched this tonight.

Where do we get such men and women? This is a great god damn country.

Makes 95% of what i've done in the navy seem amazingly insignificant.

phrogpilot73

Apparently, the Manatee and I have something in common. I only wish I could have watched it long enough to come to PropStop's conclusion/sentiment, but I got maybe 2 minutes into it, and then somebody walked by the camera with an arm in their hand.

I agree that these are spectacular Americans, and it reaffirmed to me that I will never make the big bank of a Doctor...

Cate

Pretty much invincible
That's just so impressive.

And one moment of levity, when they brought in the guy who'd been shot by a sniper while handing out candy to Iraqi kids:
"He shot you?"
"Yeah."
"You didn't shoot him back?"
"I was a little busy laying on the ground, crying like a bitch."

ETA: Watching the whole thing really is incredible. It's worth battling your gag reflex to see exactly what they're dealing with and what kind of people are doing that job. For me, it was particularly moving to watch the part with the Alabama National Guard, because those are the guys who have been in local news here, and we're seeing what's going on over there.

alwysfaith

AV-8B Harrier Pilot's Wife
Incredibly sobering, makes you realize that there is nothing good or bad that we have here sitting at home that we should be taking for granted.

As an RN I can't even imagine what these medical professionals are seeing on a daily basis and what kind of courage and moral fortitude it must take to continue doing what they believe in and what their country needs them to do. Somehow practicing in a suburban hospital with expecant mothers just doesn't seem significant.

Thanks for the post, and the opportunity to watch.

KState_Poke22

I watched an episode on HBO on demand a few weeks ago. I just sat down one night and saw it and at the time had never heard of it before. I just figured I would casually watch some documentary about Iraq but I came away awestruck at what they had to go through. Watching an injured soldier cry because his buddy was just killed in an IED attack is one of the most powerful things anyone can see. It made me appreciate them and what they have to go through so much more. It's sometimes hard to watch but its something that some Americans really need to see.

penderwt

yut king
Just watched it. I agree that more Americans need to see the reality. While there were a few moments where the documentary seemed to be framed in an anti-war manner, I think it's important for people to gain some real knowledge of the carnage our fighting men and women are dealing with in Iraq.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just watched it. I agree that more Americans need to see the reality. While there were a few moments where the documentary seemed to be framed in an anti-war manner, I think it's important for people to gain some real knowledge of the carnage our fighting men and women are dealing with in Iraq.

Yes it was, and as well it should be. To be specific, I didn't see it as Anti-Iraq war or anti-policy, it was just Anti-war. Obviously I've never been in war, but I imagine anyone who has is anti-war. I don't know anyone that would enjoy killing or risking being killed (marine jokes aside). I've heard some military folks say they are anti-war, but not necessarily anti-bush or anti-policy. They know why they are there and they hope they can make a difference, but it doesn't mean they are pro-war by any means. Nobody likes war. Try working triage in a place like that and see how you feel about war. I can't even imagine...

God bless these men and women who suffer so much so that the average joe can sit on his couch and not even truly understand the freedom he is allowed.