• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Backing out of enlistment and OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

My friend enlisted (reserves then PLC Air) is now having doubts on whether or not he wants to do the whole military thing. I told him the worst thing he could do was go to Marine PLC and do it half-assed with uncertainty. He wants out of his enlistment and wants some more time to think about it. I suggested he get through college and then decide if he wants to become a Marine and if so, apply for OCS. Will backing out of his enlistment kill his chances of getting an OCS slot? He's in DEP right now and has a 300 PFT. Thanks!

jaerose

I'm not in the Marines, but I would think that he could have a 500 PFT (you know...with extra credit), but if he backs out of his contract then that will stay on his record when he reapplies. If he wants out for good and doesn't want back in ever, then it really won't matter...will it? If he does want in later, or wants to be an officer, I would suggest he try to get into a collegiate program instead of backing out. Either way, I would highly recommend that he talk to his recruiter about the situation.

JR

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Has your friend signed his contract and taken his oath yet? If he has and he has enlisted in the reserves, then he can back out of his contract in 2009. If he hasn't signed his contract or taken his oath then there will be no future ramifications. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

BRM21o

Yeah he already swore in. I told him to think about it because it is a HUGE decision but he did it anyways and now he's backed out. Will he be able to do OCS if he so chooses?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Truthfully, I didn't realize that you could back out once sworn in. That's news to me. I can't tell you honestly on his chances for OCS. If the recruiter once to be malicious, who knows. Tell him good luck.

Thanks Devil Dog. I prefer to call it Major, 2nd Award. Now I can get coffee for one stars and up vice lowely bird Col's!

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

kaiken82

BRM12o,

I am speaking from experience with the DOR issue. Backed out of my aviation contract with the Navy in 98' and have regretted it ever since. Its hell to get back in, I have been trying for five years and am probably sending in my last packet as we speak. Your friend must had the motivation at one point in time, sounds like he has just lost his focus temporarily, I did too. Have him shoot me a PM if he wants to be lectured!!! Once in a life time opportunity being a Naval Aviator, take it and RUN!!

"WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE"

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

DBLang

PLC Candidate
He could refuse to ship, but that would probably be a very bad idea.

Congradulations on the promotion Frumy.

Status
Not open for further replies.