• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Back To Back Mobilizations

pascol1

As an 1105 LT VTU reservist, would I be harming my chances of picking up O-4 and staying in the reserves if I did back to back mobilizations? I know that all community managers want an experienced officer who has something to offer to their respective communities. I am trying to get out of 1105 and VTU right now. The only way I can see this happening is by constantly deploying and getting different experiences and NOBC's in my record. Does anyone see this as a bad approach?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back to back MOB's won't hurt your chances unless you screw up during one. If you do fine the observed FITREPs will help a lot more than a VTU record. Why not just drill with a unit?

Last edited:

pascol1

As of right now, I am drilling at my nearest reserve center. And I never thought about drilling at any other place right now because I was just introduced to jo apply. If I want to drill somewhere else, I would need to pay for travel out of my pocket. That is because I am not selected reserves.

subreservist

You're going to have to come out with better information than that...if you are "drilling" at your nearest reserve center, why can't you drill as SELRES at your nearest reserve center? Is there a reason you cannot affiliate SELRES? That is the best way to get the FITREPs you need.

pascol1

There were not enough paid billets for 1105. Therefore, I am voluntarily drilling so that I can get points with no pay. I only get paid for the funerals.
The only option in which I can get paid is by getting into another community. After talking to the community managers, there is some heavy competition to redesignate to anything else. Even HR is very tough to get into as SELRES.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I still don't understand why you can't affiliate and apply to a different command/Reserve site. Yes, you have to commute, but that's pretty standard for many SELRES. And yes, you have to pay your own way (only for IDTs and not for any other orders), but you're also getting paid to help offset that cost. If you find a unit that you can get Cross-assigned into, you may even find some money for your travel while on IDTs.

pascol1

So as a VTU reservist, I can go on to JO apply and just find a unit that has an opening and apply? Will that allow me to start getting paid even though I have to pay for my own travel?

subreservist

I checked JO Apply (just now) and there are billets represented by the following NOSC (translated: the NOSC below have billets for you as 1105)

Washington, DC; Moreno Valley, CA; Houston, TX; St Louis, MO; Memphis, TN; Kansas City, MO; San Antonio, TX; Minneapolis MN; North Island, CA; Norfolk, VA; Greensboro, NC; Newport, RI; Charleston SC

My most humble opinion of your endeavors:

1) As I mentioned before, keep your personal reserve questions to the RESERVE section of the forum...why are you using the main section? Active and Reserve are completely different beasts in the Navy and there may be some reservists who could help you but don't check for questions/comments in the main.

2) Every thing you post is a "how do I get into this" question. I don't know how you can achieve any one thing as you are supposedly attempting to chase multiple things...focus on something and get gong with it. Maybe you can pursue a couple things at once, but if you try chasing all these very different opportunities you will probably not succeed at any.

3) You also don't supply enough info for anyone to help you: You say you can't affiliate because there are no billets at your center, but you won't reveal what center? No one will be able to find you by revealing that, if that's your fear...but to help you out, I just listed the places that do have a billet, so if your center is not among them, then at least that would confirm something true for you.

4) Regardless of your billet issue, that is not stopping you from going SELRES. Of all the things you are trying to do, that should honestly be the first thing. Get with a NOSC/reserve recruiter and put in the paperwork to affilitiate DO NOT ask them a bunch of questions about jobs and the like; just state you want to affiliate SELRES, do what's needed to complete the paperwork and wait. It may take the better part of a year for it to go through. Once that's done, they will actually cut you a set of orders in a place holder billet and THEN you can figure out your billet situation. As a 1125, they allowed to me to fill a LDO billet, so there is some flexibility...it doesn't have to be an exact designator or rank match.

You still kinda have me shaking my head a bit....I took a break in service and decided to come back reserve. I did not know or worry about where my nearest NOSC was or what "job" I would get. I worked with my nearest reserve recruiter and everything fell into place once I was re-scrolled again. So you will get a billet...now if may not be your dream billet, but that should not be a big deal to you.

pascol1

I did contact a reserve recruiter, but he told me he only deals with getting civilians going into the navy reserve. I contacted a recruiter in Millingon who deals with 1105 officers and he did not know how other officers were able to get into different communities. I have no idea about what recruiter I need to speak to. Do you remember the recruiter who helped you? Is he still doing recruiting?

subreservist

Google "navy recruiter". The 1st link...enter your zipcode...call the officer recruiter listed.

I'm having a hard time believing the recruiter you spoke with couldn't help you affiliate SELRES; was he an officer recruiter? He couldn't connect you with someone who could affiliate you?

If he was an officer and just brushing you off, there must be a reason...

Did you go through a TAP class before you got out? There is a Navy Reserve presentation as part of that course and that would've given you contact info...but I have a feeling you didn't do TAP.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have no luck with the recruiter PM me. I am sympathetic since my recruiter was worth about as much as the numbers for the units he said I should contact, they were all disconnected and I found a unit all on my own.

pascol1

I went through TAPS and heard everything. The reservists mentioned to us to not give up going Reserves. However, no one over there told me about VTU. No one even knew about how to affiliate in the SELRES from IRR.
I don't think that the officer recruiter was trying to brush me off. I think that he truly believed that my category (VTU) had to go through Millington. However, when I called up that contact he gave me, the recruiter in Millington couldn't help.

subreservist

Maybe PM Flash and see if he has some insight...I honestly don't know what the issue is or why a recruiter can't help with the most basic of functions which is to recruit...lol!

If your coming up to a reserve officer recruiter and he's saying "Sorry, can't help you" and can't adequately explain why, then I know I can't.

In my mind, the process shouldn't be any different, whether you are active, civilian or IRR. I had a break in service and was essentially a civilian with prior military time and I got back in. They do take your previous service into account to determine rank/precedence.

To Flash's point, I can see a recruiter not being reliable for unit contact info, as the reserves are disjointed in that area and updating falls through the cracks - that I get (not saying it's right). I don't even view that as truly part of his role; kinda like the enlisted stories of how a recruiter brings them in and boot camp not being like he described. The enlisted recruiter probably hasn't been to boot camp since he went himself and just going off residual knowledge. His job is to recruit and the division commanders job is to shape.

But a recruiter not knowing the basics of how to get someone affiliated regardless of "status"...SMH...I just don't see how the status even matters.

The only other advice I have for you is to contact the IRR counselor (800) 535-2699. Probably won't be much help; they'll probably say contact a recruiter!

When I went through this, my recruiter asked me some basic stuff, told me to email him some docs, specifically a DD214 and a reappointment request; the rest was a waiting game. Bottom line, he did the basics of his job - at worst, if I wasn't eligible, he could've just told me.

There is something missing from your story that your not willing to say.

pascol1

The only things that I am leaving out is talking about how emotional it was to be led around in circles when contacting a recruiter. That is literally it. I have basically stated the facts about my situation.
I non-attained on the ship. I received my orders to take up a reserve commission. I talked to my career transitioning officer, and he told me about the VTU. I checked in at my reserve center. And ever since then, I have been searching for recruiter to help me get into a community like a madman.

subreservist

Just recalled...VXC recently went from IRR to SELRES, so that's another option to PM...kinda surprised he hasn't already chimed in.

A recruiter will not be able to assist with redesignation. That is not their lane, unless they happen to have personal experience with that.

The reserve personnel manual and the MILPERSMAN speak how to submit packages for that; they are posted in the reserve forum, but you will have to do the legwork to dig them up.

What you need to do is get into SELRES and do all that other stuff you're looking into afterwards. Once you get tagged with the right recruiter, focus and explain you are IRR looking to transfer to SELRES and only provide what info they request. Don't give any stories on anything about your experiences with previous recruiters, reserve centers, or any of that, because if you do, you will sound like a problem-child and he will want to look into why (just like I did). Don't ask him about JO apply or billets or anything! That's is NOT their lane!! Focus on just getting into SELRES.

I only spoke to my guy on the phone once or twice and everything else was through email...Good Luck!