• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Warfare Transition

MGoBrew11

pilot
Adding another data point since the info on this forum helped me through the process. I am a P-8A WTI that got selected for a VFA transition. I’ll share my background and insight to help those considering a Warfare Transition, as well as the questions I asked PERS.

I selected Maritime out of Primary as my #2 choice. Got my wings October 2018 and finished the P-8A FRS at the end of 2019. Not long after selection transition to Jets entered the back of my mind, but since I knew I was already lucky enough to be flying naval aircraft I compartmentalized it through every stage of upgrading (Advanced, FRS, Squadron) and would make an assessment after each qualification I earned to consider whether it was still something I wanted to do. This happened to be the case and I ended up applying at (what felt like) the last possible opportunity in my career.

During my second deployment, and over a year after qualifying as a P-8 Instructor Pilot, I again felt the desire to submit a transition package. Instead I got the opportunity to attend the Maritime WTI course while I was still in the squadron so I elected for that route. I left deployment early and while getting ready to start the course I got my shore tour assignment. It was not what I was hoping for, but I decided to give it a fair shake as it may have been a blessing in disguise (read: bloom where you’re planted). I qualified as a WTI and went back to my squadron for a few months to instruct before checking out at the beginning of 2023.

The transition bug was biting again, but I felt like I couldn’t ask for an endorsement from my new Skipper until I had contributed to my new command. So I boxed it up again for a few months until effectively the last possible moment (a week before the package was due). I wrote my application letter and drafted an endorsement for the Skipper and went to bring up my desires to the XO— this is where I would have done it differently.

Almost all the feedback I got from different senior officers was that they wished I had brought up my desires earlier so they could help me with my package. Absolutely no one during the process faulted me for wanting to apply and many encouraged it. Your experience may vary, but I believe there is a culture shift in leadership to encourage/accept “off the golden path” career options rather than the “everyone needs to be CNO” mentality (at least in MPRA).

Ultimately my front office was supportive, the boss signed the endorsement, and I got picked up on my first board for VFA. My listed preference was VAQ (Primary) and VFA (Secondary). For what it’s worth I had an LOR from a VAQ O-6 as a part of my package. I was nearly 50/50 on VAQ/VFA so it worked out. I just wanna go fast.

I asked several questions of the board coordinator (who was extremely helpful) prior to submitting the application:
  1. What are the main qualities you look for in an applicant?
    • Performance (FITREP), Career Timing which plays into transition timing
  2. Are letters of recommendation beyond CO's endorsement accepted/considered important?
    • LOR are accepted and reviewed by the board, those that submit without LOR are not penalized
  3. Are the PERS reps from each community the ones that determine acceptable gain/loss?
    • The members of PERS from each community are on the board. However the gain/loss comes from the Aviation Officer Community Manager and individual community needs
  4. Can you share stats of those who applied vs those who are selected?
    • I believe the stats would lead you to those with the best paperwork, timing, and transferring community availability will be the ones typically picked.
  5. How many total applicants apply each board?
    • Varies each board
  6. Have people been “held back” by their losing community?
    • I have not seen the board hold anyone back because they were too good to let go. I would say those that don’t get picked up fall into one of few things. No availability in the requested community, career timing with the transition does not work out, or competitiveness and timing amongst applicants.
Additionally, I asked if LOR were required at the time of submission or if they could be added later. Referencing the transition message I was told that only the statement and CO endorsement were required by application due date, and any LOR (or "supporting documentation") could be added up to one day prior to the board as long as you kept the board coordinator in the loop.

I found out the results first on the MyNavyHR PERS page, simply refreshing the page the following week. I got an email from the board coordinator the next day. From there it was simply working with both my current detailer, new community detailer and the flight school placement officer to work orders.

Overall the process is relatively simple and the requirements of the application should be taken at face value. I asked why I was picked for VFA over VAQ and was told that the conduct of the board could not be divulged. So unless you’ve sat on the board before, any rational for what makes a good candidate beyond what’s listed on the requirements of the message is just a guess. I hope this helps and happy to help anyone else that’s interested. I couldn’t be more excited and thankful for the opportunity to keep flying!
Great write up and solid contribution to the forum here! And congrats on the transition.

Had to chuckle at the evasive SERE answers PERS gave you to numbers 4-6 though. Of course communities hold people back. It’s not because any individual is “too good” to release. It’s just because they’ve already reached their quota of how many they can let go for that YG.