• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation-themed EDG's

irish28

pilot
Hello All,

Every February, Notre Dame hosts the Naval Leadership Weekend for mids from across the country. Besides exposing mids from southern schools to snow and the importance of a beer jacket, it allows mids to get good exposure to officers and peers from their newly designated communities.
As a 1/C here at Notre Dame with a pilot slot, I have been asked to come up with some EDG's (Ethical Decision Games) for NLW that are common within the Aviation community. Basically, scenarios where officers have to make decisions in morally unclear areas. In an effort to avoid the classic EDGs everyone goes over in Navy Science classes like "you see your CO get behind the wheel after shotgunning a handle of Greygoose, what do you do?", I was wondering if people could offer some hypothetical sea stories or persistent problems/topics you see in the fleet/aviation community so that the EDG segment of the conference is actually useful rather than nap time. This is not meant by any means to incite debate or provide a moral pulpit for people to preach on, so admins, if you think this might not be the best thread, feel free to delete. Only trying to get some good ideas for what we'd see in the fleet.

Thanks!

Irish

Last edited:

irish28

pilot
Pags,-I edited my original intro to shed some more light on it, but basically, Ethical Decision Games are when we get posed various scenarios where you have to decide what to do. An example would be: You're a -60 pilot in the RAG doing a 2-day cross country flight. Your IP goes and hits the town that night and is drunk in the morning when you're supposed to fly back. If you are late, you get effed. If you report him, he gets effed. What do you do?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... like "you see your CO get behind the wheel after shotgunning a handle of Greygoose, what do you do?"...

That's actually not a bad one.

Here's one... You have to take your closed-book NATOPS. You know the test hasn't changed from the last time you've taken it. Do you go in and look at it in your jacket to get some gouge? Trick question. You will invariably forget a comma somewhere and get less than a 4.0.

Renegade One

None
...the classic EDGs everyone goes over in Navy Science classes like "you see your CO get behind the wheel after shotgunning a handle of Greygoose, what do you do?"...
Sheesh…
An example would be: You're a -60 pilot in the RAG doing a 2-day cross country flight. Your IP goes and hits the town that night and is drunk in the morning when you're supposed to fly back. If you are late, you get effed. If you report him, he gets effed. What do you do?
Again…SHEESH!

If that's the substance of what's being taught in terms of "Ethical Decisions"…"It's all about drunken superior officers"…I weep for the future.

How about this:
Embarked Flag Officer: "Commander, I notice that your draft Class ALFA Aviation Ground Mishap Report differs substantively on both causal factors and recommended corrective actions from the draft JAG Manual Report on the same incident written by my own Chief of Staff, in whom I have the highest confidence. I would like you to re-write your report to better align to the JMR."

WHAT DO YOU DO?

As they say in the movies: "Story Based On Actual events".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pags,-I edited my original intro to shed some more light on it, but basically, Ethical Decision Games are when we get posed various scenarios where you have to decide what to do. An example would be: You're a -60 pilot in the RAG doing a 2-day cross country flight. Your IP goes and hits the town that night and is drunk in the morning when you're supposed to fly back. If you are late, you get effed. If you report him, he gets effed. What do you do?

Answer: choice 3, say the bird is broken. FRPs don't know the almost infinite ways a -60 can delay you on launch.

Renegade One

None
Sheesh…

Again…SHEESH!

As they say in the movies: "Story Based On Actual events".
Here's another one for your thoughtful consideration:

Again…as they say in the movies: "Based On Actual Events":

In the "good/bad old days", each major air station that hosted a "community of aircraft" (VF/VAW, VAL, VAM/VAQ, VP/VQ, etc.) had a flag-rank "Wing Commander" assigned. Subject FOs retained and maintained NATOPS and currency quals in their aircraft of choice. So far, so good…

On the day in question, one qualified/current in T/M/S FO took to the runway in his trusty aircraft, but failed to notice that the "EMERGENCY JETTISON" button was illuminated during pre-takeoff checks. He took off, and immediately upon the WOW switch being released, jettisoned both (empty, I think…but don't really recall...) external fuel tanks. Upon recovery, he told the squadron CO: "No report on this Aviation Flight Mishap…just survey the tanks as damaged beyond economical repair."

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Answer: choice 3, say the bird is broken. FRPs don't know the almost infinite ways a -60 can delay you on launch.
You're in the RAG, you can be late.

How about:
You get a distress call from a civilian vessel, let's call it the kobayahsi Maru, that's in distress in Chinese or Iranian waters. Do you risk a war and violate their territorial waters or do you let the civilians die while you watch?

Renegade One

None
How about:
You get a distress call from a civilian vessel, let's call it the kobayahsi Maru, that's in distress in Chinese or Iranian waters. Do you risk a war and violate their territorial waters or do you let the civilians die while you watch?

HINT: There's just a chance that you will receive guidance on this from your cognizant higher authority…in which case, comply with orders…

azguy

None
You're in the RAG, you can be late.

How about:

Don't want to give away the answer, but intl law that's very clear on what to do in this situation.

Pags

N/A
pilot
HINT: There's just a chance that you will receive guidance on this from your cognizant higher authority…in which case, comply with orders…
Don't want to give away the answer, but intl law that's very clear on what to do in this situation.
There will be remedial pop culture training for both of you in the ready room. Leave your wet blankets in your staterooms.

azguy

None
There will be remedial pop culture training for both of you in the ready room. Leave your wet blankets in your staterooms.

Oh shit! Wait, wait, let's make it more interesting... Host nation MARPAT is orbiting the area, instructing you to remain well clear of the area and TTW. You have no HN ships or helos in sight or on radar. The ship is screaming for someone to help, people are going to die... Now what?

Or, more real world.... You're a -60S HAC and have a training flight scheduled out of North Island or Oceana. Your DH tells you there are 13,500 rounds of 50 cal NCEA that the squadron hasn't shot for the year that expire that very day. You are to expend all ammo in your 2 hr flight with a single barrel. What do you do?

azguy

None
Yeah I might believe you if I hadn't heard that tale from many active helo dudes. Wait, you're that DH, aren't you?!