• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

aviation life in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcholt

I'm a "new" ex-submarine JO (does that make sense?) due to medical reasons (yes, I'm medically qualified to fly) and am trying to get into aviation first light, fiscal year '04. I'm looking for any gouge anyone has to offer on the aviation communities in general. I'm looking to go P-3's or helos if possible. I'd like to hear about the good and bad of both... Hey, if anyone wants any gouge on the sub community I can make it short and sweet.. (Actually, it's not so sweet!)

NuSnake

why did you leave subs? a chief told me once that there are more planes in the ocean than subs in the sky, hahaha.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, there is a counter argument to that one:

"What goes up, must always come down, but what goes down, MAY NOT always come up...:

Morbid submarine humor from a prior bubblehead....

marcholt

Why'd I leave subs? I'm 6'4" and have permenant brain damage due to hitting my head on every pipe 6'3" and under.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Back to the topic, what can we expect in terms of general lifestyle, number of flying hours per year, life on the carrier, etc?

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
SNA="Student Naval Aviator" Assuming they complete training, they become pilots, as opposed to SNFOs, who are "Student Naval Flight Officers," who become navagators.

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by marcholt
Ah... Thanks. Man, do I feel stupid!

That's why the sight is here. You can get all kinds of answers...and a lot of them are accurate
icon_smile_wink.gif

As for the community, you can poke around the sight for the numerous ramblings regarding the choices. The whole question of hours/year and such is really dependent on your platform. It talking w/ P-3 guys, they get seem to get 500+ a deployment, especially now w/ the all the activity "over there." I don't really have an idea on what the pointy nose guys get for hours.

I would imagine even the helo times vary, since some communities deploy w/ a whole squadron, and some send out dets. For HSL, it's about 250-300 per person per deployment (roughly...depends on what your cruise is). FYI, our last det that was w/ the Lincoln BG just got back, and they flew something like 1300 hours total over 9 months before and during Iraqi Freedom. Yikes, that's a lot of time when there's only 3 crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.