• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

O-man

O.K., I'm gonna take this test friday, and need to know- in some detail- just what I can expect to see on the math part of it. I hear that its hairy. I also hear that while the Arco crap is good for most of it, its not current on the math. I would like to hear what people who have taken the test think. what type of math is there? thanks
PFC O-man
0311 USMCR

Raptor2216

I just took the exam last week and passed. I did study for the exam using the ARCO books. I don't think I could have done as well as I did if I hadn't studied for the exam, specially with the airplanecockpit diagrams. The math really was not all that hard, but that may not be the situation for everyone. IAs long as you can do long division with decimals and also do multiplication by nah, you should be ok. There are some conceptual question in the math portion, and by that what I mean is word problems. They really are not extremely hard but they can give you trouble if you do look at it the right way. The math is basiclly 10 grade level and. But I do recommend that you study for the exam, because you want to do as well as you can. Also, you may have to review some of the mechanical comprehension stuff, since some of it can be a little tricky. The over all piont I am trying to make is that you really should study for it using the arco book. Trust me, it will help.

Good Luck.

spidrwmn

I am retaking the ASTB next week, so let me see if I can shed some light on the subject. I think, from my experience, that the level of difficulty depends on: your math ability, the test form you get, and your familiarity with the kinds of problems that are going to be on the test.
If you don't already have the Marine Guide, GET IT NOW!! It is pretty acurate as far as most of the test goes. The ARCO guide is a good suplimentary (sp?)study tool as well.
Form #1 is mostly word problems and graphs ( or so Dave tells me) and form #2 is mostly geometery. If you need help in the word problem area get ARCO's :How to solve algebra word problems. Dave suggested it to me and it has been really helpful.
If you have any more questions, shoot an e-mail or post to Dave Shutter ( as he is the resident expert on the ASTB).

- spider

brian-75

I agree with Spiderwmn, I did not get the marine study guide and wish I had. I do kind of stink to an extent with math and did have a little hard time with it as Most of the problems on the test I took were geometry style questions which I had not studied for. The ARCO book is realy helpful though on the spatial test which is the picture exam of the plane and its position on the horizon. Even though the test looks a little different, if you can get every problem right in the test exam than you should do well in the real exam. Also playing PC or PS2 games that involve flying are helpful and if you have access to those, try them out and look at the plane and the horizon and how it looks when you bank, climb, and so on and then translate in your head what it would look like from the 3rd person point of view. As for me I got a 37 on the OAR which is a little low but 4'5 on the rest of the exam and it looks good for me so far. Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions

Brian

brian-75

Hey spidrwmn,

Just head that the board has recommended me for pilot, just the medical exam review is all that is left. Of course my left eye could hold me back but I should here somehting in a few days. Heres hoping!
I am also going flying on thursday and friday. If you are interested in trying it ouy sometime I can hook you up with the school and pilots. Hope your midterms went well!!

Brian

Tahoe

What's wrong with your eye? You were rec. for pilot without having to go through a physical?? Wow, that's a little backwards!

Best of luck with that

-Dave

brian-75

Hey Tahoe,

No I still went through MEPS and even turned in my optomotrist perscription to my recruiter. My left eye is 20/40 with a 0.1 number over the maximum allowed. That is the only thing I am concerned about as far as my application goes. Uncorrected using both eyes is 20/25 as my right eye is 20/25 and corrected down to 20/10. So I shall hopefully find out in a few days about my acceptance. Funny that my application went in last week and already it is almost done being considered at least according to my recruiter. Sorry for the confusion unless there are additional tests ;)

Brian

Dave Shutter

I never understood that either...I went to the med-review first, pro-review and Aviation selection last. I have heard multiple times about people doing Med last. I recall being told by my Proc' that it depends on the workload they have. If Med is bogged down they'll send your stuff around to the other boards as per your preference and get back to the med people if they like you, sometimes vice-versa. I think you always go to med first whenever you need a waiver (like me) everything else is pointless until you get the magic paper.

Just what I heard...

Dave

spidrwmn

Brian,

I would love to go flying sometime!! Good luck with your med stuff, I'm sure it will go fine.
I still have a test and two midterms left - AND a 7 page paper due tomorrow ( I guess I should be writing it instead of playing on the computer ).
After I get through midterms I'll have 4 days to stress and cram for my ASTB retest, then have 5 days to cram a couple of hundred pages of reading for my last midterm!! Gee, I just LOVE school . . . NOT!!

- spider

brian-75

Hey spidrwmn,

hehe I know what you mean! At least you know what your schedule is like..not that helps to much. Hopefully I will know soon. Yea let me know when you would like to go flying and I can set something up based around your obviously busy schedule...hehe my email if you contact me directly is in my profile. Hope your tests and paper go well !!!

and thanks again

Brian

Raptor2216

Hey Spider and brian, what school are you guys attending? I'm in CA, I was just wondering where you guys are at. I am signing a pilot contract with the marines this week which wil basicly gaurantee me a spot in flight school(assuming i finish OCS and finish college, which I will). And Tahoe, I went to a an eye doctor today and got my eyes checked out and it turns out that my depth perception is just fine. I guess the guys at MEPS were going a little too fast and well maybe that's why I didn't pass it there(or they did something wrong with the machine and screwed up the test). Anyhow, I've passed the medical and I am in.

spidrwmn

Hi Raptor!

I'm a junior at Arizona State ( history major). I am retaking the ASTB next week (damn math!!!) and hopefully will be able to get a SWO spot for 2003.
Where in CA are you? What are you majoring in?

- spider

brian-75

Hey Raptor,

I too am here in phoenix arizona. The school I am going to is a small school at chandler airport which is one of those "cities" within the "city" of phoenix you would see on a map. What part of CA you from? I lived in LA for several years and I am familiar with So. Cal. I am just taking a few courses of flying to get a feel for it and see what it is like. I did find out today that I got selected for a pilot slot. My OCS date is 12 of january even though I have not taken the oath yet and filled out the paper work. I was sure surprised since it took only a week to find out particulary with my statements on my eyes and exam from above. Seems my app. went right through the perverbial red tape to get done or they just were not busy (yea right :) )Hope this helps !!!!

Brian

O-man

man did that sure take off! Thanks to every one who gave me insight- I'll let you all know what happens. Samper Fi PFC O-man USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.