• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation/Aero Eng ??

Brfuga32

I've heard that it's pretty hard to do NROTC and Aero Eng maj. Is this true. I want to be commited to both.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Every year guys commission with engineering degrees out of ROTC and the academy so I don't see it as being an impossibility. Several of your aero classes should match up with your NROTC calculus and physics requirements. Unlike your liberal arts/business bretheren you will probably do a lot more homework and have less time for wacking off, both literally and figuratively.

If you're choosing AE because you think it will give you an edge to get into flight school or something else your advantage is probably marginal at best. There are far more history majors with wings than aerospace engineers. That said, if you want to do AE because you think you'll really enjoy it, go for it.

Brfuga32

That said, if you want to do AE because you think you'll really enjoy it, go for it.[/quote]

Cool ya the whole reason that I want to do aero is becuase i enjoy learning about those kinds of things. I want to go into aviation so duh! Hopefully that motivation will give me the edge to be able to do both NROTC and Aero

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Junior/Senior year of engineering school is hard to juggle with anything. That said, it is not impossible and though it may sound cheesy, is "character building" IMHO. I am just finishing an 18 credit term (of very challenging senior year engineering classes) while also holding a senior billet in my Battalion. It has probably been the most difficult term of my college career, but it IS doable. Being organized helps, and learning to prioritize is the real key.

I will say that in the past I had felt engineering involved about the same amount of work and difficulty as a liberal arts degree, just in different ways. Now I would venture to say that it IS a lot harder. My point being, do engineering because YOU want to, not because you think the Navy wants you to. It will not be a walk in the park, and all the Navy really cares about is whether or not you get a degree. So choose your major wisely.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Every year guys commission with engineering degrees out of ROTC and the academy so I don't see it as being an impossibility. Several of your aero classes should match up with your NROTC calculus and physics requirements. Unlike your liberal arts/business bretheren you will probably do a lot more homework and have less time for wacking off, both literally and figuratively.

If you're choosing AE because you think it will give you an edge to get into flight school or something else your advantage is probably marginal at best. There are far more history majors with wings than aerospace engineers. That said, if you want to do AE because you think you'll really enjoy it, go for it.

He's exactly right. Your major contributes very slim to service selection.

USN99

USN99
None
I just gotta jump in here

Take an engineering degree because you want to or because you like it. Don't do it for any other reasons. Statutory promotion boards for URL won't much notice. It's not even a tie-breaker. Command Screen boards won't much notice either and may not see it at all. It most definitely is not even near being a tie-breaker for URL.

Nevertheless, the Navy persists in this unjustified fetish for engineering degrees. :icon_rage Here's a news flash, the Navy, for all its vaunted technology, is run quite successfully by people of average and above average intelligence who are, by and large, not engineers.

The calculus and physics requirement is fully justified, especially for the liberal arts majors. But the need for an engineering degree by some large double digit percentage of Mids is just not worth it.

What the Navy always needs, and should actually focus upon, are leaders. Leaders come with all sorts of degrees. A specific college degree does not make anyone a leader.

It's defenatly possible to get an AE degree and do nrotc. I've managed to make it as an IE with no problem. With some good time management you should be fine. But, it will be difficult. 3 buddies of mine started AE and then switched to math. 2 other buddies of mine are doing fine and there was a AE graduate last spring (3.8 gpa) that is working for the Navy R & D as an AE. I will say that you probably won't graduate in 4 years though.

PCHomerun_4

I'm in JuCo now and planning to attend Auburn as well thru NROTC. I'm pre- AE now and even the Cal and Physics is tough. In my opinion take summer classes a few times to get some of the harder classes out of the way. I'm a freshman now and like I said the pre-engineering classes are tough, I don't have a clue about the junior and senior semesters.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's defenatly possible to get an AE degree and do nrotc. I've managed to make it as an IE with no problem. With some good time management you should be fine. But, it will be difficult. 3 buddies of mine started AE and then switched to math. 2 other buddies of mine are doing fine and there was a AE graduate last spring (3.8 gpa) that is working for the Navy R & D as an AE. I will say that you probably won't graduate in 4 years though.

welcome to my hell....and good point. Enjoy watching all of your buddies commission 6-9 months before you if your NROTC "career" is anything like mine

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Junior/Senior year of engineering school is hard to juggle with anything. That said, it is not impossible and though it may sound cheesy, is "character building" IMHO. I am just finishing an 18 credit term (of very challenging senior year engineering classes) while also holding a senior billet in my Battalion. It has probably been the most difficult term of my college career, but it IS doable. Being organized helps, and learning to prioritize is the real key.

I will say that in the past I had felt engineering involved about the same amount of work and difficulty as a liberal arts degree, just in different ways. Now I would venture to say that it IS a lot harder. My point being, do engineering because YOU want to, not because you think the Navy wants you to. It will not be a walk in the park, and all the Navy really cares about is whether or not you get a degree. So choose your major wisely.

Like UINavy said, this is great advice. The difficulties of an engineering major, provided you want to do it, is great experience. The stress load and time management are skills that will directly relate to flight school in general.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So it's possible/allowed to do NROTC and graduate with an Aero BS in 5 years?

yes, regardless of what scholarship program you are on (4 yr, 3 yr, etc) you can apply for "5th year benefits" during your senior year. It can range from full coverage for the entire 5th year, to just a term, or even nothing if they don't accept your packet. They look at how many credits you have taken on average, overall GPA and any failed classes, and also any other extenuating circumstances that may be relevant. Also they take into consideration the average time to completion for your given major. So if a bunch of guys from your school/unit have needed 5 years in the past to complete a BS in AE, then there is probably a good chance that the board will recommend at least some extra scholarship coverage. If you are just a lazy @ss and are taking 4.5 years to complete a forestry degree (because you failed a bunch of classes or chilled at 12 credits/term for 4 years) they will be less likely to give you more money. Still, regardless of your scholarship status, you can finish your 5th year w/o benefits and just pay out of pocket. It may suck financially depending on where you go to school, but the Navy isn't gonna kick you out of the NROTC program. 5 years for engineering majors is common given the extra Naval Science workload. I could have taken 17 credits every term and been done this spring, but I guarantee that my GPA would suck because of it....so you sort of need to find a balance that works for you. That's not to say that folks don't do it in 4 years. I can think of at least a handful of guys that I have known who have done so....and guess what? The STA-21/OC types always do it in 3.

Notso07

None
I am an aero major at the Academy, and its certainly doable, just make sure you are doing it because you like the major. We had some guys who went aero because they thought it'd give them the edge, and they wound up dropping it. That being said, its a lot of work, I've watched my history and econ major roommates go out a lot more than I do, and we did have a few aeros who had to go NFO as their second choice (NFO was my #1). I think that that is due tot he academy looking at a strict gpa vs gpa no matter what the major, which is ridiculous when the average GPA varies so much with respect to major. Almost all of us are going aviation of some sort, apart from a few marine grunts. You don't need 5 years, if you do 18-20 hours a semester you'll be fine. In my case I had calc done in highschool so this year (senior) I've only had 15 hours a semester (15 hours is the minimum at the academy) because I was able to push things forward. Aero is awesome, one of my classes this semester is building a stealth UAV, I wouldn't have given it up for anything (even if I had to go SWO).

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Nevertheless, the Navy persists in this unjustified fetish for engineering degrees. :icon_rage Here's a news flash, the Navy, for all its vaunted technology, is run quite successfully by people of average and above average intelligence who are, by and large, not engineers.

I wonder if the Navy is thinking one step ahead of us. Maybe they don't so much want officers with engineering backgrounds as much as they want engineers with a Navy background. As in retired officers working as engineers on defense projects. Is it possible there is some perceived benefit there?