• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Average Training Time

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Did a search, no results. On average, how long is it taking for guys to go through Corpus, T-44/TC-12 wise? Last I heard was about 4-6 months. Any truth to that guesstimate?

Chubby

Slight threadjack, but what is the difference in training between the T-44 and TC-12 aside from it being in a different airframe? They both put out to the P-3/EP-3 communities correct?

FLY_USMC

pilot
The T-44 is a civilian King Air C-90, whereas the TC-12 is a civilian King Air 200........with like 200 lbs added fuel to make the military version require a type rating, ie over 12,500 lbs. I believe the training command started using the TC-12 to save money when many of the reserve squadrons flying execs around in the C-12 got BRAC'd, and rather than buy more T-44's, they sent the C-12's to the training command. In the civilian world, it's universely know that if you have to fly a King Air, don't fly anything smaller than a 200, C-90B's are dogs, though F-90's with the t-tail are a tad bit faster.

kray1395

Once you class up, you will be given winging date of about 6 months later. Other than that, the only differences that I can tell you is that all of the Marines selected for Osprey's will report to VT-35, all of the Navy E2/C2 selects will report to VT-31, and all of the Coast Guard will be in VT-31. As a Marine C-130 selectee, you could end up in either squadron and as to how they select which one they will put you in, I have no idea.

Sorry, I had assumed you were a Marine for some reason. In case you're a Navy P-3 selectee, you still could end up in either squadron.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Nope, I'm an AF dude. I hear I can get either squadron. I'd rather get VT-35, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

NavyLonghorn

As far as the difference between airplanes, The TC-12 is bigger, faster, longer range.

As far as squadron differences, VT-35 is unquestionably the way to go.

The leadership at 35 is awsome, its defenitly the best squadron in the navy.

I have never.. ever.. heard a 35 guy say he wishes he was in 31, but I hear it from 31 guys /all the time/.

The type rating bit.. who cares.. its all about the culture, and the VT-35 culture is top notch.

In response to Kray, as far as I know, C-130 Marines only go to VT-31, the 35 slots are just Osprey dudes.

kray1395

There's no debating that people prefer VT-35 over VT-31, but the best squadron in the Navy?? Isn't it the first Navy squadron you've been in? And it's half Air Force. C'mon. I've been in 3 Navy squadrons now including my enlisted tour with VF-143, and VT-6 is, by far, definitely (correct spelling by the way), without a doubt, the best squadron in the Navy.

(At least on the north side of the field located about 45 minutes northeast of Pensacola in the western Florida panhandle in the eastern United States.... that is.)

Ohhh, and congrats on the wings.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks VT-35 is so much better, when I was going through VT-31 last year I had a great time. VT-35 was the place to stay away from at that time...guess it depends on who you talk to....but then again I don't know how someone can say one squadron is better than the other if they have only experienced one of those squadrons.

navy05

Is it possible fora P-3 guy to be stationed in San Diego? I know there's no P-3 squadrons there but what about other San Dog opportunites besides NROTC, disassociated sea tour, recruiting?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
navy05 said:
Is it possible fora P-3 guy to be stationed in San Diego? I know there's no P-3 squadrons there but what about other San Dog opportunites besides NROTC, disassociated sea tour, recruiting?
There are a couple CVNs chock full o shooter billets for you. :D Seriously though, there are any number of shore billets here that would be open to aviators in general. What's available will depend on timing and your detailer. How about harbor ops/logistics officer, or TLAM planner, or instructors at the fleet ASW schools.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
For VT-Squadrons?? Or do you mean altogether?
What he really means is, "I made a ridiculous, subjective and hyperbolic statement thinly disguised as a fact."

Brett

navy05

Thanks Brett.
As an aside, can it be assumed that most people really want billets San Diego and Hawaii while avoiding Norfolk like the plague? Or do people actaully want to live in VA? I wonder how possible it is to NEVER have to live in Norfolk.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
[threadjack continued]
Some people really want Norfolk, either for family reasons, platform, whatever. Also, if you're a pointy-nosed guy, you're gonna want Oceana hands down. One thing (about the only thing) that Norfolk has over SD is you have a reasonable shot at owning a house/condo if you want to. It's a bit more difficult to pull that off in southern California.
[hopefully end threadjack]