• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automotive Question not related to military

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBaxman

Unrelated to any of these other posts, does anyone know much about automotive brakes? I have to fix my car before I drive it to OCS in January. It is a 68 camaro with drums brakes all around, non power assisted and when you press the pedal it is solid, but if you let up a little, not all the way, and depress it again it goes in further. It will do that until you have pressed it four or five times until it hits the floorboard and doesn't stop. Not really a problem unless driving in heavy traffic, but I would still like to fix it. I am not sure if I need to replace the master cylinder or if the splitter block has anything to do with the symptoms... any other mechanics out there? Thanks...

Ray

Did you try bleeding your brake lines? There could be a small hole in the master cylinder too I guess. I'm not much of a brake guy though. Especially old drum brakes.

quickandsure

Master Cylinder bad. Sticking valve.

If it was air in the lines (e.g., that needs bleeding air from system) pumping brakes would help. That is, initial pressure on pedal would be soft, several time pumping would restore full brakes. Basic hydraulics.
alien_125.gif

bart27

First question would be how old is the fluid? Second, have you checked each brake cylinder for possible leaks? If one or more are leaking, this could give you similar symptons. However, if your above findings are negative, I'm leaning towards master cylinder. To test MC, while stationary, pump brakes 3-4 times, then press down and hold brake pedal...if pedal goes towards floor...sounds like MC. As a side note, have you thought about puting disc on front? Its a fairly easy conversion. Just my .02.

navsup

BDCP Supply
I dont know if we are allowed to mention other forums on here but if you check out www.chevytalk.com you will get all the help you need from people (many of whom work for gm/chevy) very quickly.

bart27

TBaxman, when do you report to OCS? I'm in Boulder hoping to report Jan 4th and feel your pain w/ the weather.

privateer

It sounds like your break line bearing. You need to get that fixed ASAP. While you are at it change your blinker fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.