• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile sales tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
I just bought a new car in Mississippi... as I'm a resident of Washington I'm going to pay $50 and get it titled and licensed in Washington. Mississippi won't charge me sales tax if I take the car out of state within 48 hours to get it licensed in another state... and Washington won't charge me sales tax if I do not return to Washington as a full time resident within six months. Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue to this? It seems to me like there's a loophole to get out of paying $1100 bucks... The spirit of MS law seems to be "If you're not paying us sales tax, get it out of our state and go pay sales tax somewhere else..." Washington's law seems to be "we'll give you the title/license since you are a resident, but if you bring the car back within 6 months we'll charge you sales tax" (because you supposedly already paid it in the state you bought the car.) Anyone?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Yeah I wasn't charged sales tax in Virginia because I gave a Florida Address... once I came down to florida to have it registered they charged me $1200 for tax. I'm gonna see if I can pay Virginia tax instead since it's cheaper.

Jim

i just bought a new mustang, got a $750 discount from ford just by showing my military ID. here in PA they didn't say anything about a sales tax break though.

-jim

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Question on registering a car in Virginia... maybe only if you live there? Last I knew Virginia will charge you a tax on the price you paid for the car EVERY YEAR. I know people have been trying to get rid of it, but not yet as far as I know.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm an Oregon resident and I didn't have to pay sales tax (Zero, Nada, Zip) on our new car purchase....What a deal. Oh yeah, I bought the car in Florida.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

WFU2USN

ea6bflyr,

Yes NO SALES TAX in Oregon is fabulous!! :) Where in Oregon are you from? Did you go to school there?

:) Robin

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

beau

I bought my Tacoma in California then drove back to school in Oklahoma, with a temporary permit. Then I got the title and licence in Montana (my state of residence) while saving about two grand in Sales tax (none in Montana either).
Off the subject, I've had my Tacoma for a year now and I'm thinking of redoing the intake and exhaust system. Any recommendations (brands/locations) of what I could use? I'm going for strickly preformance and not sound. Also I was thinking about putting in the Supercharger add on that you can get with the Tacoma. Will it damage my engine or shorten engine life like other Superchargers?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I was born and raised in Arizona. Most of my family live in Medford. I did attend the State School there....Go Beavers! Switched my residency to Oregon....I use my Brother's address as my permenant residence. Are you from Oregon?
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by WFU2USN
ea6bflyr,

Yes NO SALES TAX in Oregon is fabulous!! :) Where in Oregon are you from? Did you go to school there?

:) Robin

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Another Oregon resident here.

I bought 3 cars in North Carolina over the last 4 years - didn't have to pay sales tax as I registered my vehicles with Oreon through the mail.

I don't know the Washington laws.

I do know people that tried to buy in Oregon, no sales tax, then take it to Washington and try to register there - bammo - sales tax.

And of course they couldn't register it in Oregon because they weren't Oregon residence.

Now, if Washington DMV says they won't charge you sales tax but can register there, then do it.

No sales tax = lotta money. Florida Sales Tax is 6.5%. That * $20,000 = $1,300. That's $1300 you get to keep, don't have to finance, etc. :D

I need to look into states that don't tax retirement pensions.

Brodie143

Yes, Florida charges your a high sales tax, but when you title your car in florida pay the extra 100 dollars and become a Florida resident. If you become a florida resident you are entitled to pay no, zero, nothing in state taxes!!! You take it in the rear end up front but not paying state taxes for the next 10 years is really nice.

amyg

I'm not sure if someone was considering registering their car in Virginia, but I wouldn't recommend it. Right now I work for the tax administration department in Prince William County Virginia, and the state as a whole isn't so friendly to people in the military that claim Va as the home of record. The only way you can get away with not paying the taxes while living here is to claim another state as you home of record. Hope that helps you make your decision.

I am thinking about switching my residency to another state, maybe Florida, does anybody know how you go about doing? I heard that Florida has no state taxes, but what about registering your car, etc...? Thanks.

SaiyanCivic

i bought a car in july while i was in PA. in PA tax free month is July cause that is when sales are not as high so they try and compensate for a tax free month. ever wonder why they have a christmas in july, its just a gimic to try and increase sales for a slumpy month. i am not sure if this tax free month is every year or just something you have to read about to save moneyon paying taxes. i would investigate more about this.

also i am looking into buying a car from ebay. i am stationed in San Diego and i have a PA license. say i purchase a car in texas, register it as PA but reside in San Diego. does that mean i have to pay 3 state taxes?

Davin

SaiyanCivic

beau said:
I bought my Tacoma in California then drove back to school in Oklahoma, with a temporary permit. Then I got the title and licence in Montana (my state of residence) while saving about two grand in Sales tax (none in Montana either).
Off the subject, I've had my Tacoma for a year now and I'm thinking of redoing the intake and exhaust system. Any recommendations (brands/locations) of what I could use? I'm going for strickly preformance and not sound. Also I was thinking about putting in the Supercharger add on that you can get with the Tacoma. Will it damage my engine or shorten engine life like other Superchargers?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

with a supercharger you really should have compression to about 9:1. with that extra boost you may put some stress on your piston rings. for the parts your looking for i would get TRD (toyota racing development). these parts will not void your warrenty at all which is a very good thing! if you want to talk to me more just PM me.

sludge31

Did the same with two different Tahoes...bought in Tennessee...registered in Alaska...Zero, Zip, Nil Sales tax...But, new cars must be registered in person...so I had a friend run over to the DMV for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.