• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto Transport Companies

Fred

not legally

Can you legally claim it? We are debating shipping one of our cars cross country. My husband finishes a school on a Friday, is supposed to fly home that night, and has a report nlt date the following Wed for his ultimate duty station. While he could make if from VA to CA in four days, I'd much rather him be able to spend the weekend at home. If we buy his plane ticket, is there anyway to get the Navy to pay for the shipping of the car?

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
/minor threadjack

My roommate just completed the CAT I syllabus at VP-30 and is going to VP-4 at K-Bay. He's asked a lot of people about how moving his car works, and hasn't gotten many answers; I ran a search to help him out and this is the best I've found.

All he knows is that he has to drive to Orlando to drop his car off (he says that the Navy has to move the car--which is not the sense I'm getting reading the above), and that a rental can't be reimbursed in the meantime. What he wants to know is what he does when he gets to Hawaii and the car isn't there yet (and doesn't show up for two months).

/carry on...

H20man

Drill baby drill!

Pasha, Horizon, Matson.

Having sailed on the Pineapple Run with Matson and dealt with the autos I can add to this.

First off, for any company, Longshoreman DO NOT care about your car... The longshoremen drive like madmen through the decks of the ship. The Lurline was half container/half auto. I have seen several of them almost get into accidents from flying around the corners.(A lot of cars leave through the port of Richmond if in NoCal, or Long Beach in SoCal, so you can imagine the quality of people.) If the load boss is good the drivers stay in check.

Depending on what you pay for is where your car goes with Matson... cheapest and you are left out on one of the open air decks, pay more and you go into the hold or a container. If its the winter or a good storm comes through your car will get blasted by a wave if on a lower deck which is open air. If the Chief Mate is good the ABs will give the cars a good rinse.

Containers offer more protection, but as always there still are problems, I have seen containers dropped, tipped over, and on fire. (none were cars though)

Pasha has taken a good chunk of money away from Matson, they have a relatively new dedicated Ro/Ro which runs through the Islands and the west coast. I have seen pics of the decks and operations from friends who were on it. http://www.pashahawaii.com/index.php?s=sailserv&a=0098/

Horizon is Matson's main competition for shipping cargo to Hawaii. They don't have any auto ships, so all they transport their cars in are containers.

For the most part, pretty much all of the cars that went through the ship, pretty much all left with no damage to them.

A few random items: If you have a nice car, the crew will sit in it during transit..... the Shelby Cobra was nice.

We could always park your car next to the Nuclear waste container, or have it dented by a Bull which escaped from the cattle trailers (I wish I had the video for this, it happened in the 90s and ended up in the Engine Room)
n119901002_30099567_4011.jpg

n119901002_30099579_8270.jpg

H20man

Drill baby drill!
/minor threadjack

My roommate just completed the CAT I syllabus at VP-30 and is going to VP-4 at K-Bay. He's asked a lot of people about how moving his car works, and hasn't gotten many answers; I ran a search to help him out and this is the best I've found.

All he knows is that he has to drive to Orlando to drop his car off (he says that the Navy has to move the car--which is not the sense I'm getting reading the above), and that a rental can't be reimbursed in the meantime. What he wants to know is what he does when he gets to Hawaii and the car isn't there yet (and doesn't show up for two months).

/carry on...

http://www.matson.com/pov/index.htm

Is Matson's website for shipping POV's. A call to them would probably help, they have a lot of contracts with the DoD for shipping various items, from random army vehicles to HHG.

When I was with them I saw a large number cars with Active Duty stickers shipped with Matson.

Generally most freight companies, especially rail and shipping now have tracking systems so you can view your cargo.

For a transit to Hawaii, it takes about 5 days from Oakland. Total round trip is about 2 weeks, depending on how many ships are running, they stop by the port every 1-2 weeks, or just a few days apart.

In a slight thread jack... Matson has turned one of the ships I was on into a freak of nature.... from this good looking Far East runner...
n119901002_30011424_7978.jpg

To this Jones Act slore of a ship.
mokihana.jpg

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
After talking to him again, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is who he should talk to if he wants to have the car shipped for free as part of the gov't move. Is that something that just gets figured out when he shows up in Orlando, or is Matson who he should just talk to now?

Thanks for the link; I'll pass it along.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
After talking to him again, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is who he should talk to if he wants to have the car shipped for free as part of the gov't move. Is that something that just gets figured out when he shows up in Orlando, or is Matson who he should just talk to now?

Thanks for the link; I'll pass it along.
He is going to start off with JPPSO at FISC Jax, and then being his SmartWebMove. When your friend sets up the move, and answers the questions, it will provide information on shipping the auto. Here is the smartwebmove website: https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/

If I recall correctly, I took the paperwork, copy of orders, and had my car in the proper condition to get shipped (registration/title, lein release, insurance, gas tank, interior cleaned out, etc)..

Anyways, here is more reading, and links for him:

The POV website: http://www.sddc.army.mil/Public/Personal%20Property/VehiclesPOV?summary=fullcontent
POV Brochure: http://www.sddc.army.mil/sddc/Content/Pub/12139/DBCNBROC.pdf

To answer the original question, recommend that he just search online for a good monthly rate for one of the car rental agencies. This latest move to HI, I rented a car from Avis, I believe for a good rate for a month prior to our second car getting here.

PEPfromage

Nursing the gout.
pilot
auto transport - pre japan

Been looking at some of these auto transport companies and wondered if anyone had any insight for my situation...

I'm moving OCONUS for a sea tour and have the following concerns:
- dont want to sell my car
- dont want to mothball it
- dont want to bring it out to the far east

My understanding is that the Navy will store it for me back here in the US for the duration of my tour. If I were to instead ship it cross country back to my parent's place via one of these auto transport companies, would they absorb some of the cost?

My thinking is, storage also costs money...maybe this is cheaper or comparable for them and they're willing to reimburse me for it rather than keep paying for storage.

If anyone's done this or looked into doing it, let me know. Thanks.

bb1125

None
I don't believe they'll pay to ship it to your parents'. My last tour in Japan, I ended up leaving my vehicle with my parents and from what I remember, they would pay to store it at any approved facility in the U.S., but it was up to me to get it there. I thought it would be safer with my parents, so that's where I left it. After picking it up two years later, I wished it had been in storage. They didn't have garage space and it ended up getting some weather damage. I would seriously consider storage. Your local personal property office should be able to give you specifics on what is/is not authorized.

Fetus

None
I asked about this when I went to Atsugi in '01, and PPO wouldn't ship it away from my duty station.

Recommend you let the Navy store it. Take pictures and claim any damages when you return. The claims process is not easy, but not impossible. If you have a choice, ask what % of the storage company's business is govt. It's more in the storage company's interest to take care of your car if most of their business is USN, because they want to keep the contract. - Good luck, Japan is awesome.

PEPfromage

Nursing the gout.
pilot
Much thanks...I'm looking forward to it.

My Dad's got the extra garage space and will even drive it for me from time to time and take care of any maintenance it needs along the way, so I'll probably just spend the extra and have it in his hands.

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
I used Concours Transport Systems to have my GT delivered from Northern CA. The owner, Fred Koller, was very accommodating and offers a military discount. I would use him again, and I'm a little particular about who touches that car.
www.concourstransport.com

Best Regards,
Waldo

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
Has anyone used Crossover Transport? They gave me the best quote besides DAS. But DAS needed 14 days to get to a port in MA when I need the car to go to Brunswick.