• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto Carrier Landings?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"24, Greyhound ball. Manual everything."

Seriously guys, what happened to aviators?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Good call ... and good ball call, as well ... :)

"Manual everything" used to be intuitive back-in-the-day (and we didn't even know what intuitive meant ;)) ... no managers required nor desired .... ahhhhhh .... just Naval Aviators.

Huggy Bear

pilot

Whatever happened to planes that didn't require two pilots to get from point a to point b and simply land on the ship in the day. That is 10% of my mission.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever happened to planes that didn't require two pilots to get from point a to point b and simply land on the ship in the day. That is 10% of my mission.

oh_snap.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

That was 100% of our mission. With maybe dropping some iron somewhere in the middle. And they went this way ..... :)

Lawman

None
On L-class ships it is still the "cutting edge". Many don't even have that. I guess that tell you what the navy thinks of the ships we deploy on. Our CCAs won't even work in the rain for GS (if they work at all). ASRs only. Typical Case III recovery is radar vectors to a self contained approach (TACAN or Needles) with an ASR as more of "advisory". That's when the TACAN works (or is calibrated).

Ultimately, the LSO gets you aboard and keeps you out of the water.

Ok now you've got me curious. Would you like to do an abrieviated explination on the process of bringing an aircraft aboard an Amphib Carrier, or would you do the favor of starting us a new thread?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok now you've got me curious. Would you like to do an abrieviated explination on the process of bringing an aircraft aboard an Amphib Carrier, or would you do the favor of starting us a new thread?

I've actually been curious what happens at the terminal part of the approach w/ the Harriers for a Case III myself. Do you guys approach like the helos? I'd doubt it since it's my understanding that sometimes you can't hover very long, depending on weight. Something about the water tank capacity, right?

Maybe a new thread is in order.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's simple, let me explain...
The guy in the left flies, the guy in the right attempts to communicate with foreign controllers where English is nowhere close to the primary language. The guy in the right also does the navigation, which requires a little bit of guesswork and ingenuity since our systems never work correctly. If 2 out of 3 instruments tell you the same thing, that's usually (but not always) what's correct.

But those are not the REAL reasons for two seats up front. There are two actual reasons:

It's not widespread information, but you don't need TWO naval aviators to fly the C-2. The other seat may be occupied by an NFL cheerleader, a hot female ensign, or on some occassions the hot female seaman. Of course nothing prevents any one seat from being occupied by both aforementioned personnel AND a naval aviator.

The other reason is for the bottle to brief ruel. Everybody knows the pilot 12 hour rule. However, how many of you know the 6 hour co-pilot rule? Let's say that you're on the schedule to be the left seater the next day. You drink too much. That's when you magically become the right seater! Let's say you keep drinking. Now you're too sloshed to be on the radio, so you might as well go back to the left seat. Everyone understand?

MasterBates

It's simple, let me explain...
The guy in the left flies, the guy in the right attempts to communicate with foreign controllers where English is nowhere close to the primary language. The guy in the right also does the navigation, which requires a little bit of guesswork and ingenuity since our systems never work correctly. If 2 out of 3 instruments tell you the same thing, that's usually (but not always) what's correct.

But those are not the REAL reasons for two seats up front. There are two actual reasons:

It's not widespread information, but you don't need TWO naval aviators to fly the C-2. The other seat may be occupied by an NFL cheerleader, a hot female ensign, or on some occassions the hot female seaman. Of course nothing prevents any one seat from being occupied by both aforementioned personnel AND a naval aviator.

The other reason is for the bottle to brief ruel. Everybody knows the pilot 12 hour rule. However, how many of you know the 6 hour co-pilot rule? Let's say that you're on the schedule to be the left seater the next day. You drink too much. That's when you magically become the right seater! Let's say you keep drinking. Now you're too sloshed to be on the radio, so you might as well go back to the left seat. Everyone understand?

/\
| This is why I have a C2 transition package in (Found out today, the S3 vultures took all the VFA slots :icon_rage