• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australia - I'm going there.

Brunes

pilot
In about 3 hours I'll be landing in Sydney to start my vacation. Anyone have suggestions for things to see there, in Alice Springs, in Cairns, or in Aukland, NZ??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You beautiful SOB. You doing this all on your own dime?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

I've only been to Sydney in recent years. All the usual pubs, The Rocks, and Opera House etc. You can take the ferry around the harbor and under the bridge. There is a great Naval Museum with a FF, sub and a couple of tall ships. Walking across the Sydney bridge seems to be thing to do (but I haven't). While walking across the road level is free (I think), walking across the top is like a hundred bucks or something.

Back in 1988 I hit Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth with my first squadron but other than booze and women, it's all a blur. Come to think of it, much of my recent Sydney time has been a drunken blur....

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
In about 3 hours I'll be landing in Sydney to start my vacation. Anyone have suggestions for things to see there, in Alice Springs, in Cairns, or in Aukland, NZ??

With a wife/gf or without?

Renegade One

None
Just so's you know...all these things aren't exactly "inside the beltway". You're talking thousands of miles of additional travel... Hell, Perth rocks on a Friday night!

Brunes

pilot
The wife and I on earned leave time-The locales are already picked w/ domestic flights paid for...We've got a day in each spot to do whatever we please and a day w/ an pre-panned tour- Sydney tonight and tmrw by our selves. The 8 we go to the Blue Mountains for the day. Doing wine and snacks at sunset near Uluru. Great Barrier Reef snorkeling trip( we don't have dive cards or interest for them) and I wanna try and catch a helo ride ( like I haven't done that before...)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 8 we go to the Blue Mountains for the day.

Probably by train?, Fairly short ride about 50 mi. Sydney to Katoomba (north end of Blue Mtns Nat'l Park). There is a neat tramway in the Park from which you get a great view of the "Blues'. Also varying views of the triple peaks called "The Three Sisters". Interesting Railway Museum in Katoomba.
Edit: Believe you can get your helo ride to/from Uluru from Alice Springs.

You'll wear out your camera up there, have fun.:)
BzB

Brunes

pilot
Probably by train?, Fairly short ride about 50 mi. Sydney to Katoomba (north end of Blue Mtns Nat'l Park). There is a neat tramway in the Park from which you get a great view of the "Blues'. Also varying views of the triple peaks called "The Three Sisters". Interesting Railway Museum in Katoomba.
Edit: Believe you can get your helo ride to/from Uluru from Alice Springs.

You'll wear out your camera up there, have fun.:)
BzB
I think we are bussing it and checking out Three Sisters and Echo Point, plus Blue Mtns park, Katoomba, and Leura Village. Only part that sucks is being wide awake right now....at 3:20 local....

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Best way to get use to local time is to get hammered on the flight there and then stay up for at least 24 hours or until their evening. Once you finally sleep and recover from getting smashed you slide right into local time. Plus it makes the 15 hou flight tolerable.

Brunes

pilot
LMAO-Our mistake was flying from CT to AUS straight thru. Spent about 4 hours at the LAX USO but that was it..
Slept all yesterday afternoon and all night. I'm set now...Going out for brekkie and wandering the city today. Might go climb the bridge and check out the Opera house.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best way to get use to local time is to get hammered on the flight there and then stay up for at least 24 hours or until their evening. Once you finally sleep and recover from getting smashed you slide right into local time. Plus it makes the 15 hou flight tolerable.
That's my tried and true technique as well (or get smashed upon arrival). :)