• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Also, my OR told me that he didn't think they accepted as many applicants as they originally planned to... anyone else heard that? Just curious.

A few pages back someone said 85 got Pro Recs which is less than the predicted 100+, but if you include both sets of alternates there are 131. Assuming ~350 applicants, it was roughly ~24% outright pro-rec'd and roughly 37-38% that were either prorec'd or on one of the alternate lists given those numbers.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I have a little less than three years on my original enlistment.. Im dead set on becoming an Officer..Navy preferably, but i am definitely open to all branche if they are open for me.. I turn 29 July 12th. Less than 10 months.. Grinding is what has to be done for me to get this reconsideration package in. I currently volunteer at Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, MWR and help with the NMCRS..Not much more volunteering i can do. PRT's are all outstanding...I have no time to improve my GPA..Maybe re-test the ASTB. I will look into that on Monday. No evals will be done before i have to get this in..Not much more than LORS and interviews can be done..I will have my statements looked at by a few more eyes...

Anybody knows what goes in the reconsideration package and the reconsideration letter i woul dhave to draw up?

Post your stats.. Post everything so we can help you out. Here is what I wrote for my reconsideration letter to the August board, and inside is all my new additions:

To Whom It May Concern:
Since hearing of my non selection in late October, I have been proactively improving my application to emphasize my commitment to becoming a Naval Officer. I have acquired several letters of recommendations, including: United States Air Force members, supervisors, and my Congressman. I had the honor of two Naval Officer interviews, one with a Naval Aviator and Commander of Great Lakes Naval Base, and the other with a retired Naval Aviator. I have also used my free time to volunteer at “Toys Express” during the holiday season.
I have recently gotten accepted into graduate school for Aerospace Engineering at Illinois Institute of Technology, and I have been working on summer math courses (calculus three and differential equations) in preparation for these graduate level courses. I also work part time as a computer technician, and I am in the process of developing a business (with three partners) to fix computers remotely, which will go public in the next few weeks.
Although my military service began with the United States Air Force, I have always had a dream of flying in the United States Navy. Although I aspire to be a Naval Officer first, I believe I will contribute most as an officer through aviation because it is my passion. I am physically and mentally prepared, as well as determined to serve as a Naval Officer. I can truly say with no hesitation, if I am not accepted, I will continue to reapply until I am no longer eligible.
I respectfully ask that the board reconsider my application for Navy Officer Candidate School.
Sincerely,
Eaglei22

mjv305

ENS SNA
here they are..

5/5/6 51 ASTB - took 2 years ago
2.7 GPA in Economics - University of Florida (errr) - grad in 2006
3yrs 2 months actvive - Air traffic Controller AC3 - joined 2008
Honor grad of my "A" school with highest average in last 4 years
EP, MP, EP, MP evals
4 consecutive Oustandings for PRT
Currently volunteer w/
Red Cross - Shelter/Disaster Team
Habitat for Humanity - Construction/Clerical
MWR - Special Event Volunteer
NMCRS - Assistant Key Person for Division
Co-Captain Flag football and softball team
5 LORS - 1 airfoce active 05, 1 retired Navy 05, 1 active 03 reserves/ceo TESLA, 1 o3 retired good family friend, 1 25 yr police officer
3 interviews - SNA 05, NFO 03 and Intel 04 - all 10's and great write ups
all 10's CO 06 interview - nice write up
Secret Clearance
passed all phyiscals
proficient in Hebrew
Good Conduct Medal
going to put in for the Volunteer Service Medal
service schools - bearings, 7 habits of highly effective people, armed sen/sec reac force
ridiculous amount of correspondence courses and NKO courses

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Retake the ASTB, get an interview with your congressman.. and have him/her write you a letter of support (that's what I did), and revamp your motivational statement and have an outstanding reconsideration letter.. and I think you'd be alright for the next board. Although, if you go for NFO, I don't think you need a reconsideration letter since you were never really considered for the position. Then again it may not hurt. Check out your LORs too. Make sure they are written with passion and longer than a paragraph. Sometimes a LOR from your close supervisor or professor, means more than some O4 in the Navy who was a friend of the family and met you twice.

mjv305

ENS SNA
sorry.. forgot to mention... im 28. .waiver until 29thbirthday (12July) for SNA and 2 months after that for NFO.. Basically, i have no time.. How exactly does the Reconsideration work?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
My recommendation would be to get LOR's from officers in your command. I'm not sure how well the ones you already got know you, but make sure they're from people who have worked with you. Not only that, but try to get them from O-4 and above. It's great to have them from O-3's who know you on a personal level, but not having them from officers you work with sends a message to the board that they may not see you as officer material (whether you asked any or not). It'd different for those of us who have been in the military vice civilians, since we have a large pool of active officers who have actually worked with us.

Also, assuming you think you can do better, retake the ASTB. Your score isn't really that bad, but if you could bump it up just a tiny bit (like 55 6/6/7), it would look immensely better.

ruby416

For all the Active Duty enlisted applicants that were non-selects, a new eval, pfa score, re-take of the ASTB, new award, change in GPA, additional courses or interviews, any of these allow you to re-submit. If you go this route, ensure you are not currently under orders to transfer, and you will need a new CO's endorsement. If you wait more than six months from when you were a non-select, you will have to turn in a whole new package. I've just helped one of the non-selects in my command draft his re-submission letter. Hope this helps you guys.
Fjauliveld, I need to transfer to the ships between Feb-Mar. The SC board is next Monday say I will have result by mid October. If I am an non-select, and I want re-apply, so does it means I will stay in my old command until the result comes out? Thanks...

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
How exactly does the Reconsideration work?

you make a significant change in your package and see if you can resubmit, granted there is a board within 6 months. Otherwise you're not allowed to resubmit until after 6 months. But like I said, the reconsideration process is only if there is another SNA board.. You can't just send in a reconsideration letter off the record and hope to get selected. Also, like I said earlier, if you apply to NFO (if there is in fact a board soon), you shouldn't have to worry about a reconsideration letter since you were not looked at for NFO yet. But this is a discussion more for your recruiter on Monday.

fjauliveld

Fjauliveld, I need to transfer to the ships between Feb-Mar. The SC board is next Monday say I will have result by mid October. If I am an non-select, and I want re-apply, so does it means I will stay in my old command until the result comes out? Thanks...

It really depends on your detailer and needs of the Navy. True you are not supposed to be given orders if you have a application in for OCS, but detailers will do what they have to do. Your best bet is to keep your detailer informed. If you do receive orders after your re-submission, according to the instruction, you

"should not be transferred until officially notified of selection or non-selection. If a transfer directive is received, the CO shall notify the orders originating authority that the individual has applied for selection for the OCS/ODS Program and that orders are being held in abeyance until notification of selection or non-selection. If the applicant is selected, NAVPERSCOM order originator will be notified by the fleet OCS processor that the individual has been selected. The transfer orders will then be cancelled and orders for officer training
will be issued. If the applicant is not selected, the command should transfer the individual and notify the orders originator and the gaining command that the orders have been executed."

Also,

"Applicants are not authorized to submit an OCS/ODS application if the member is within 3 months of transfer or separation."

These are straight out of the 1420.1B. Note that it says should not be transferred. Again, needs of the Navy and your detailer will play a major role in what happens. Hope all this helped.

fjauliveld

you make a significant change in your package and see if you can resubmit, granted there is a board within 6 months. Otherwise you're not allowed to resubmit until after 6 months. But like I said, the reconsideration process is only if there is another SNA board.. You can't just send in a reconsideration letter off the record and hope to get selected. Also, like I said earlier, if you apply to NFO (if there is in fact a board soon), you shouldn't have to worry about a reconsideration letter since you were not looked at for NFO yet. But this is a discussion more for your recruiter on Monday.

Eaglei,

mjv is an Active Duty enlisted applicant. Mjv needs to call or email the fleet processor to see if there was a selection status on his/her other designator choices. Until a status has been made on those choices, they will not be able to re-submit.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
secondary.. I'd still like to know what all that means.

Millsra stated in post 899 on pg 36 the difference between the two. Basically you are an Alternate for FY'13 as a secondary. A primary alternate is for FY'12. Basically more waiting and after you wait you are still not guaranteed anything... However, you have a chance if someone selected is rejected at MEPS or due to something else occurring in the process...

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Ok. Reconsideration Letters...

[Date]

CNRC

Subject: REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION

To Whom It May Concern:

[blah blah blah. Review my application once again. Blah blah blah. My resolution to become a USN officer never died, it's grown stronger. Challenge, etc. You know what to do.

{Update #1} – Explanation

{Update #2} - Explanation

So on and so forth

Restate Commitment.

Sincerely,

Your name