• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

Sonog

pilot
This thread is like a d measuring contest, where all the 9 inchers (9/9/9 70+) stepped up quick and whipped em out and then the rest of us above average sized felt really small.

Anyways.

24 m SNA/SNFO
7/6/8 59
Cornell University
Biological Engineering 2.61
Varsity Athlete
MEPS, Flight physical, Security Clearance done
Average LOR's with some O-3's,pilots, lawyers, doctors, coach, professor

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
@fattestfoot: I was under the impression that the age limit was the same for pilot and NFO, in that you would have to be commissioned and done with OCS when you are 27. Is it different for the two?

Active duty get a waiver for NFO up to age 31

Whoops, yeah. For some reason I was thinking NFO had an extra two years, since as a prior enlisted there was an extra two. But apparently it's just an extra two years waiverable for prior enlisted.

ericchan

Nobody may have the answer to this question, but just in case, I'll ask it anyway. So since august boards are canceled, have any recruiters mentioned that there will most likely be another board in Oct.? Or is the Oct board just speculation?

e

attakmint

Good luck to all the SNA's for this upcoming board. I think I'll decline my EDO offer, look into getting PRK, and try the AF for their next rated board/keep my ear to the ground for the next Navy SNFO/SNA boards.

I'm honestly just glad that I don't have to go back to MEPS for my physical other than possibly after PRK.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I can't imagine getting any offer from any community and turning it down. But if you want to fly, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

attakmint

When the March (was it March? Sometime in spring) boards were cancelled, my OR mentioned that EDO SEGA was still open and that I was qualified for it, and that I needed to sign one form and turn in my resume to apply. I figured "What the heck" and did it, not really believing I'd get it... or knowing much about what EDOs do.

And now that I've read through the EDO handbook, I don't think it's for me. Some of the timing of leaving for Rhode Island doesn't work so well for me either.

But yeah, there are moments where I can't believe I'm turning down a job offer in a not-so-great economy.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
No, it sounds like FY12 boards are over outside of SNA and Supply in August. Like I said, they recruit for the next FY prior to the actual one. We're in FY11 right now, which lasts from October 2010 to September 2011. That means everyone pro-rec'd in the October and November boards was a FY12 selectee. There were also probably lots of rollovers from FY11. Once October hits, they'll start recruiting for FY13 (October starts FY12, and they recruit one year ahead).

Not necessarily. The way it's worked in the past is that the you usually don't start selecting for your upcoming fiscal year until about May or June. I was selected back in September of 2010 and would have been FY11 had I not been held up in MEPS. Now that boards and report dates are being cancelled, though, it could turn out that all the people selected in August won't ship until late 2012, making them part of FY13.

In regards to above, if I were you, I would finish up the Master's degree and get PRK as soon as I could. In my opinion, FY13 is going to be a very slim year. The likelihood of getting picked up just doesn't sound that great (for anyone), and so you may as well do what you can to improve your application (especially since GPA is you big weakness, and you can address it in your letter; and point out your Graduate GPA). You could also bust your butt and try for a super ASTB like the ones in the beginning of this thread, although I got picked up last year with a 50 6/6/6. You'll still have a year if you finish the degree before you're too old, and NFO is still an option for several years.

Leviathan, I'll echo what foot said above: finish your masters. The GPA boost will make you much more competitive at the boards. The only problem is that you might still be cut off due to your chosen field. I definitely wouldn't suggest enlisting as the likelihood of you making the age cut-off or even being accepted into OCS are slim due to the hassles of enlisted life. I've got buddies right now who enlisted out of college because they couldn't get commissions through ROTC and they are having a rough time putting packets together while also trying to stay afloat dealing with their job and homelife and other things.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
blah blah blah

Dude listen if you want to be an officer apply to be an officer.

Vision might preclude you from being a member of the single anchor master race, but having been a PRK patient myself it was well worth every dime.

Im not on the board so I can't predict their thought process but for what its worth a buddy of mine was a flaminco guitar major in college and now he flies helos. Finish that Masters, whatever it is. Dedication, and commitment are huge. Are you going to finish what you start? Flight school is way less fun than learning to play music. Being a committed person and finishing what you start is a big deal.

Youre young enough that you could probably stand to wait one more FY to apply as you finish that masters. If not, and you start tapping the bell on the age limit, then you might consider enlisting, just to get the age extension. But if you want to be an officer, you should apply to be an officer. Make that clear to your recruiter and make it understood that you know what you are asking to get into.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
having been a PRK patient myself it was well worth every dime.

Flight school is way less fun than learning to play music.

But if you want to be an officer, you should apply to be an officer. Make that clear to your recruiter and make it understood that you know what you are asking to get into.

Just to add to the dogpile:

1. PRK is very much worth it. Even if you don't end up as a pilot or NFO.

2. I love flight school, personally. I wouldn't really want to press the reset button and do it again... but it's an experience of a lifetime. Anything worth doing is rarely going to be easy.

3. Don't enlist. If you have a BA/BS, get a commission. You don't wanna sit around working your ass off for 2-4 years in an underpaid (for your education level) temporary job. If you're qualified to be an officer, do it.

My 2 cents, and then some.

Seafort

Enlisting is highly variable. For some it's a good way to get the necessary time and build a package. My interviewers and my recommending officers feel otherwise in my case. Not that I couldn't do it, but that is simply not what I am best suited for. Not enough time to make a difference, and even so, I am not doing this for the money, I'm doing this for a commission. I actually have had two job offers since leaving my previous position to pursue my masters full time. It was never about needing a job, and I'm still heavily invested in my civilian career path (the masters is pulling double duty, actually, Navy and civilian career), so it would be more likely I'd end up as a civilian contributor to maritime policy thought, coming back to INTEL at a later date, and be happier doing it than enlisting.

Seafort

...sorry for the double post, but AND SCENE:

Just got confirmation from my OR: OCS boards in August for SNA and Cyber Warfare ONLY. No data on SUPPLY. All other communities, including SWO CONVENTIONAL closed. As of right now, no selections will be made for those graduating prior to 01 OCT 2012. When boards resume, they will be for those graduating AFTER 01 OCT 2012. I turn 29 immediately after that (OCT 2012), and therefore will be unable to be selected for any GENOFF position.